What Carnival tours do you recommend booking on an Alaskan cruise

kathy884

We're overwhelmed when looking at all the excursion choices. Also budget for tours/activities overall is around $750 pp, so can't do tons of expensive ones, but could probably splurge on something and do modestly priced or inexpensive tours or just look around on our own at some ports. I'm interested in what you would recommend with a budget like that. We're into photography, wildlife, whales, all the typical stuff. We've done humpback and Orca whale watching several times before, so those wouldn't be must dos.

Places cruise heads to are Tracy Arm, Skagway 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Juneau 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ketchikan 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Victoria at night 7:30 p.m. to midnight. The only place we've been to is Victoria. We spent a full week there a few summers ago. Also we aren't doing a cruise tour or spending any extra time in the area. We're just doing the cruise.

Anyway I appreciate your thoughts about activities / tours.

Places cruise heads to are Tracy Arm, Skagway 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Juneau 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ketchikan 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Victoria at night 7:30 p.m. to midnight. The only place we've been to is Victoria. We spent a full week there a few summers ago. Also we aren't doing a cruise tour or spending any extra time in the area. We're just doing the cruise.

We have done Alaska twice.

On our first cruise (2005), we were fairly broke, so chose to do most of it on our own. Skagway we just walked around the town, visited a couple of the local tavern (for the history of course) and enjoyed the beauty of it all. Juneau we did a whale watching excursion through Carnival. Ketchikan, we did Sea Kayaking through Carnival as well.

Our second cruise (2014), we did it all on our own! I personally would say this is the one cruise that I am not nervous about non Carnival excursions. You are dealing with vendors in the US. However, I would only go with someone with GREAT reviews and I would allow LOTS of time to get back to the ship if you are venturing too far.

Due to the itinerary changes, we did not get to Skagway on the last trip.

In Juneau, we took the city bus to Glacier Gardens. It was beautiful and very worth the admission. We called a cab from there and went out to Mendenhall Glacier. It was AMAZING! I loved that we were able to spend a good deal of time there and hike out to the glacier. We took a cab back to port. I believe it was around $45 total for the cab ride from Glacier Gardens to the Glacier and back to port. (4 people). We still had plenty of time to explore close to the ship.

In Ketchikan we took a float plane ride with Mountain Air Service. Our pilot (and owner) Randy did an amazing job! (http://www.mtair.biz/Products-1.html) We did the Misty Fjords tour. I believe it was about $230 per adult. It was the highlight of the entire cruise! I would do it again in a heartbeat and would recommend Randy to anyone!!!!! If you decide to do this, I would book his earliest time that day. We were back in town and able to still walk down to Creek Street and enjoy a couple hours in port even after our flight.

No matter what you decide to do, Alaska is AMAZING!!!!

In Juneau we splurged with a private tour with Harv and Marv for whale watching and a stop at Mendenhall.

In Ketchikan we rode the bus out to the totem pole park and then walked the town.

In Skagway we rented a car for the day (under $60?) and drove to carcross desert and crystal lake. One of the most beautiful drives we have ever taken.

Victoria booked the evening trip to the gardens through the cruise line - short stop and didn't want to miss the ship.

That would all fit within your budget and we feel like we really got a feel for alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for posting. Those sound like some great options.

Usually vacation destinations for me are some place that I know I want to go to, I know why I want to go there, and what I'd like to do.

This is kind of different. It's more like, oh we can get about $2000 off (free ocean view balcony for two) that we'll upgrade to balcony, etc. and gosh an Alaskan cruise could be fun and with the discount it would be in budget even doing a few tours etc. But Alaska has never been on our bucket list or anything like that.

We do, though, love the western United States and nature lite activities, so it's probably a pretty good choice for us.

Edited by kathy884

Did Alaska twice in the last two years. Here is our fav's

Juneau - Whale watching - booked through Harv and Marv highly recommend

Ketchikan - walked around the town on our own. - did flight seeing but didn't really enjoy that.

Skagway - our favorite was just walking out to the waterfall - we did the

Adventure Raft but I felt they were a little careless as even my 16 and 17 year old football playing boys felt like they were going to fly out of the raft they would go so fast then turn quickly right in front of a rock wall.

We also did the train in Skagway but I guess unlike most I just really didn't enjoy it much. It was pretty, but a bit boring for me. We only did the 3 hour (I think that's what it was) trip

Forgot Victoria - a beautiful city! We walked up town - which is a bit of a walk - beautiful

Edited by sprint180

We did the Yukon White Pass Railroad trip and it is over $200 per person. It included a salmon bake at Liarsville, and that was good and a bit interesting but not worth the money IMO. We took a bus into Canada and then the train back. So basically you saw the same scenery and while the train moves pretty slow it is too fast to really see some things.

At Ketchikan we just walked around the town and same at Juneau. There is an interesting place within walking distance on the main road called Red Dog Saloon. It is the original saloon back from the 1800's complete with piano player and swinging doors, like what I used to see in western movies. That was neat!

I did not feel like I was deprived by not doing any other excursions. I wanted to go whale watching and to the Mendenhall glacier but I had a torn meniscus and was to have surgery when we got home so I had to take it easy.

Next trip I am going to look for local tours to do to save some money. I wanted to add that souvenirs are not as expensive in AK as I expected them to be. You can get tshirts and sweatshirts and jackets for no more than at home or any other tourist area.

We went to Alaska a few years ago with carnival spirit. It was in early june and it was freezing to us texans but we still enjoyed it. I thought the blue ice and whales were the most beautiful.

We went on all carnival excursions:

Ultimate Yukon and White Pass Railroad Adventure- We loved this trip on a bus in the mountains and then the train back. They served us lunch and stopped at a lake , dog sled place,old western towns and then the train took us back down the mountain. It was an all day adventure and got to see a little of everything.

Mendeenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest - This was a whale watching trip and we saw lots of eagles, whales, seals. This was on my bucket list and i just loved the whole boat trip. Then they took us to the glacier to get an up close walk and tour on your own.. good trip

Duck tour and city tour - My daughter wanted to ride a duck boat and it was the last day of the cruise and she fell asleep LOL we enjoyed it but could have walked around on our own here. i think it was in Ketchickan,

We had a balcony but didnt use it much since it was so cold. The top of the ship gets the best views..

The only tour i wished we had done was the little boat that tenders off of the ship to see the glaciers up close. It was a tour by carnival while they were going thru the passage. alot of the people said they really enjoyed seeing it up so close.

Its a beautiful cruise and a land that is just unspoiled and so natural . We are really beach people but glad we went on the trip. Have a fun trip..

in Juneau we did the whale watching with Harv and Marv and then walking around town afterwards. We stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack and had some awesome crab cakes and lobster bisque.

In Skagway we rented a car and drove up to Emerald Lake. We stopped for lunch in Carcross at Chilkoot Bakery. The food was very good.

Ketchikan we walked around town and down on Creek St we took a tram up to a hotel and then walked a trail back to town. It was a nice day.

Victoria we just walked around town. I had planned on taking a carriage tour but never got around to it.

My favorite excursion was one through Carnival. It is where a small boat comes up to the ship when you are out in the Fjords and it takes you up close to the glaciers. It was called The Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer. I loved it but it is chilly so dress warm if you go.

We're overwhelmed when looking at all the excursion choices. Also budget for tours/activities overall is around $750 pp, so can't do tons of expensive ones, but could probably splurge on something and do modestly priced or inexpensive tours or just look around on our own at some ports. I'm interested in what you would recommend with a budget like that. We're into photography, wildlife, whales, all the typical stuff. We've done humpback and Orca whale watching several times before, so those wouldn't be must dos.

Anyway I appreciate your thoughts about activities / tours.

If you stay away from flight seeing you can get some really nice excursions on your budget, especially if you don't book through Carnival.

In Juneau go to Mendenhall glacier or ride the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts, or this may be your place to splurge and go whale watching with Harv and Marv.

In Skagway take the train - do the short version, it's still great. Wander around town and go to the Red Onion Saloon - be sure to go upstairs and visit the old bordello.

In Ketchikan go to the totem park. See the lumberjack show. Wander Creek street. Rent poles and fish from the bridge.

I suspect that Tracey Arm is the same day as Juneau and you will not be offered any excursions there, so no need to worry about cost. Get somewhere high on the ship with your camera and take pictures all afternoon.

In Juneau we splurged with a private tour with Harv and Marv for whale watching and a stop at Mendenhall.

In Ketchikan we rode the bus out to the totem pole park and then walked the town.

In Skagway we rented a car for the day (under $60?) and drove to carcross desert and crystal lake. One of the most beautiful drives we have ever taken.

Victoria booked the evening trip to the gardens through the cruise line - short stop and didn't want to miss the ship.

That would all fit within your budget and we feel like we really got a feel for alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WOW great price for the car rental! How did you get it so cheap?