Back from Diamond to Alaska 8/20-27

emmysmom

:D Had a great time on the Diamond and in Alaska - we loved every second of it! What a gorgeous ship and beautiful place to cruise - second time for us and we would love to go back again! Will try to write a review soon - still getting caught up at work and doing laundry at home! :( It is tough getting back to reality.....

I saved all my patters and kid's club patters if anyone has any questions?

Hi,

I can't wait to hear about your cruise. We are planning on a cruise to Alaska in 2006 and trying to decide when to go, which ship, etc. Where did you sail from?

What side of the ship did you like? Were there a lot of children? (not that I don't love children, I have some of my own), just wondering. Did you love your cabin. What was it?

Thanks. Can't wait to hear the details.

sasha'smom

Hi, I am alway's so excited to hear a review of the Diamond to Alaska, we are flying to Seattle on Sept 9, only 9 more day's I am so excited, my main question is how alot of the people dressed on board was it quite nice or more casual? I'm hoping for more casual, even in the dining rooms, if you have any helpful advice about anything please let me know...:D

I will look at my patters tonight - can't remember the captains name - I remember what he looks like :confused: . I am at work and did not bring my patters with me.

We sailed out of Seattle, in minisuite D717 on the starboard side. We loved the room - with two kids we needed the extra space. There were quite a few kids onboard - did not have any problems with them. There were some Youth Security people walking around - :eek: saw them talking to a group of young teens during the ice carving demonstration.

Mistified - We just wore casual everyday clothes around the ship - lots of variations - some passengers were more dressed up than others. We did dress up for the two formal nights and dressed nice for our dinners in the dining rooms. Two nights we ate in the Horizon Court and just wore what we had on for that day. Relax and enjoy your cruise - don't try to do and see everything - it will stress you out. We enjoyed the comedian/juggler show and the Undercover show in the Princess Theater.

Take lots of pictures!!! :D

I ain't frum Texas.....bit YIPPEE! Less than 30 days til we leave on the Diamond. I think, once Labor Day is behind us, the time will go fast.

It's funny how many people at work now are beginning to realize that I am going to be out of the office for a month.......and they all suddenly have com eup with "major" projects for me to get done before we leave!

Our two kids were in the 8 to 12 group and the teen group. DD is 9 and DS is 13. DS loved the Off Limits teen center - he would spend hours up there. :rolleyes: DD was not as thrilled with her age group - now last year she absolutely loved it! There seemed to be alot more kids in it this year.

As for the excursions - we went out exploring on our own. They did enjoy the Tram in Juneau last year. We drove to Emerald Lake in Skagway this time - they enjoyed it to a point then got alittle bored with the drive. Mendenhall glacier in Juneau was beautiful - took the bus from the dock. I'm sure you will have great time whatever you decide to do. :D

Emmysmom,

Welcome back! I'm happy to hear you still love the Diamond. I was on it last year the same time as you. Did you notice anything different besides the personal choice dining.

Did you like this cruise director any better? Last year I enjoyed the asst. director more? That was just me though.

I can't wait to go again next year.

Debbie

Yes - we love the Diamond more than ever. I think I enjoyed it more this cruise - it helped knowing our way around the ship. Such a relaxing vacation. Thought our CD was great - only my opinion, but I thought he was better than the one we had last year.

We had no problems with the Personal Choice dining - made reservations, sometimes at the last minute and never had to wait for our table. The wait staff in the Savoy were great! :D

I envy you - we would love to go back next year - would like to do a different route next time.

We were also on the Diamond Princess 8/20-8/27. Really enjoyed the cruise, but found the times in ports rather short. We have cruised Alaska three times previously on Princess out of Seward and do recommend this route for first time Alaska visitors. Times in ports of Juneau and Ketchikan are longer and the viewing of the glaciers are unbelieveable. I especially liked being in Seattle for a few days pre cruise. Enjoyed the days at sea especially. The ship is absolutely gorgeous. We had second seating and did eat one night in Sabatinis. It was fabulous!

I am not at all complaining about this cruise. It was wonderful, however, I can understand why the Diamond Princess supposedly will not be departing from Seattle next summer, but rather doing the Whittier - Vancover itinerary instead. It was nice trying something different and we will be on the Diamond again.

We watched the people exit the ship in Victoria from above and saw the huge crowds and decided not to venture into town for the short time we were in port. We had been there previously and though we love Victoria, we docked in an area where there appeared to be nothing to walk to. We might have been wrong. We thoroughly enjoyed watching people leave on their various excursions from a great vantage point - Skywalkers Lounge. Also had a great view of the city lights. It was a nice, relaxing time for us to end cruise and the martinis are great!

Archived