I had to Bail on Carnival this spring break.

detroitlions

So you never booked the Carnival Breeze that you are "changing" as you stated above? Confused.

The Family picked the Breeze originaly and everyone in agreeing on it I was waiting to book. So after research when my DW got the green light from her work on her vacation days I told her I was booking Epic instead. We have been on Carnival for most of our cruises. And normaly I do not wait this long to book a cruise.

Last late spring when I was looking to book this spring break's cruise, Celebrity had a cheaper 7 day going to the southern Caribbean (and a nice newer ship) than Carnival did for their 8 day going to Aruba. Not the same ports but still the Southern Caribbean. Its one day shorter but it gave you the option of selecting a perk, one of them being the unlimited drink package. We went with the Carnival only because we were given a 25% discount due to something personal from another cruise. Otherwise we would have gone with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually wondered if anyone was naive enough not to pick up the sarcasm. Almost surprised it was you. But then again....

Many things have to be spellled all the way out. I am used to texting and the majority of what I text is picked up so I thought maybe this was one of the times some one was confused.

Last late spring when I was looking to book this spring break's cruise, Celebrity had a cheaper 7 day going to the southern Caribbean (and a nice newer ship) than Carnival did for their 8 day going to Aruba. Not the same ports but still the Southern Caribbean. Its one day shorter but it gave you the option of selecting a perk, one of them being the unlimited drink package. We went with the Carnival only because we were given a 25% discount due to something personal from another cruise. Otherwise we would have gone with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me this was a no brainer I like the fact that this cruise will be all inclusive saving me alot of money. I have been to just about every island the Florida based cruise ships offer. And yet I do like the newer ships better than some of the old ones. They just have more to offer. It used t obe that the NCL cruises nickled and dimed you more than the rest now they all seem to be doing it so there is no reason to dodge one over the other for it.

Many things have to be spellled all the way out. I am used to texting and the majority of what I text is picked up so I thought maybe this was one of the times some one was confused.

I was just messing with EZ. Enjoy your cruise ! Drink a couple for this Saints fan.

How did the exchange thing work out, if you don't mind me asking?? Did you call and ask them for a deal? The online doesn't seem to change it for me. I have 145 days to decide whether we go through with our cruise on the Dream. We're having to drive to NOLA. With free drinks and closer port on NCL, the better exchange would seal the deal! :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You have to call NCL directly, or book through a Canadian travel agent. My exchange rate is 1.1628, about 10 points off the going rate (as of my reservation).

A quick phone call to your TA or NCL will provide you with the details.

Hope this information helps.

Ah, well congrats! Those are great deals they are offering, I have gotten several postcards from them but we are only 27 days out so definitely not changing now.

I was waiting on my DW work to approve her time off. So I never booked so I guess I made out having to wait cause this is a sweet deal.

You have to call NCL directly, or book through a Canadian travel agent. My exchange rate is 1.1628, about 10 points off the going rate (as of my reservation).

We just booked the Breeze for NYE and I am not thrilled about the exchange rant. I checked out NCL's prices but they were still more than Carnival.

I checked booking with Air Canada and booking directly with Carnival and they were pretty close. I decided to go with Carnival as it is a pain getting and price reductions through a TA.

I hear you, OP. I'm booked on the Dawn to Bermuda in July.

No airfare. Better exchange rate for Canadians (saved us $530). The UBP thrown in for free (value of around $900 for the 4 of us). Also received a price adjustment of $700 as a result of a sale.

Sure, the Dawn is an older ship, but given the price and itinerary, it was a no brainer!

Can you explain this? Are you saying that NCL charges Canadians in Canadian Dollars (and that the implicit rate vs. booking in US dollars is lower than the actual exchange rate)? I assumed all US-based cruise lines charge in US dollars and the exchange rate is whatever the credit card company charges.

Can you explain this? Are you saying that NCL charges Canadians in Canadian Dollars (and that the implicit rate vs. booking in US dollars is lower than the actual exchange rate)? I assumed all US-based cruise lines charge in US dollars and the exchange rate is whatever the credit card company charges.

That's what I'm saying :). The rates are adjusted to reflect the prevailing exchange rate of the Canadian dollar. Others have reported booking at par, when our dollar was stronger.

That's what I'm saying :). The rates are adjusted to reflect the prevailing exchange rate of the Canadian dollar. Others have reported booking at par, when our dollar was stronger.

I must be missing something. I was trying to figure this out (and in particular, what determines the currency of fare quotation: residence, citizenship, or both). I went to the NCL website and started a mock booking as a US resident/citizen and then went back and re-did it as a Canadian resident/citizen.

Right down to the very last step, where the only thing left to do was actually pay, the "Canadian" booking continued to quote the same price (in US Dollars) as the US booking. How do I get the website to quote me in C$ so I can calculate the implied exchange rate?

Edited by T. Advisor King

[quote name='T. Advisor King']I must be missing something. I was trying to figure this out (and in particular, what determines the currency of fare quotation: residence, citizenship, or both). I went to the NCL website and started a mock booking as a US resident/citizen and then went back and re-did it as a Canadian resident/citizen.

Right down to the very last step, where the only thing left to do was actually pay, the "Canadian" booking continued to quote the same price (in US Dollars) as the US booking. How do I get the website to quote me in C$ so I can calculate the implied exchange rate?[/QUOTE]

I booked with a live agent. It sounds like you can't do a new booking in Canadian funds, online. What I do know is that I can purchase OBC, etc. online, in Canadian funds. My exchange rate is still 1.168. Looks like I'm locked into this rate, since that is the rate I booked with.

Hope this helpls. Edited by soccersharon