AVIS car rental in Skagway

Miss Dot

We have a reservation for our June visit so we can drive to Emerald Lake. It is sorta pricy for the few hours. I saw that Avis used to have discounts that you could sign up for on their website and people saved a lot on their rentals. I can find no savings for this year. We do have a AAA membership. Does anyone know of any discounts that can be found for Avis at this location? Thanks

We also have a rental car reserved with Avis. Tried to go with our AAA agent but they don't have a contract with them. Also there are no discount codes for Skagway, they have a corner on the market and know it. All in all it is pricey but so much or comfortable and cheaper than a cruise tour. We did the same thing on our last Alaska cruise and are doing it again this July.

I was able to get a discount through Avis in Anchorage by registering a business account. They have a "Small-Medium business" discounts. I happen to own a photo booth as a side job ;) I was able to get my 2 day rental in Anchorage for 162.76.

I was able to get a discount through Avis in Anchorage by registering a business account. They have a "Small-Medium business" discounts. I happen to own a photo booth as a side job ;) I was able to get my 2 day rental in Anchorage for 162.76.

Where do you register the business; on the main Avis site? I could do that.

While it may seem expensive compared to a one-day car rental anywhere else in the country, if you compare it to the price of a comparable tour to the Yukon, it is downright cheap! Just accept is as part of visiting Alaska and enjoy! :)

Last time I was there I rented thru a local company. Are they no longer in business??

Sourdough Rentals is the other rental company and they do not rent late model cars - 3-4 years old. Seems that they did not pay for the web hosting so no web page and I do not know if they are still open.

We have a reservation for our June visit so we can drive to Emerald Lake. It is sorta pricy for the few hours. I saw that Avis used to have discounts that you could sign up for on their website and people saved a lot on their rentals. I can find no savings for this year. We do have a AAA membership. Does anyone know of any discounts that can be found for Avis at this location? Thanks

We rented a car at Avis in Skagway for our upcoming July cruise. Our total cost for a one-day rental was $125 for an intermediate-sized vehicle. Definitely pricey. I tried all kinds of discount codes (AAA, AARP, United Airlines, etc., etc.) and not one of them worked for this location. It's all about supply and demand. My guess is that they intend to make as much money as they can during the high season, and therefore, do not discount during the summer.

As someone else pointed out, it's still a lot cheaper than the ship's or independent operators' tours and you have the freedom to stop when and where you wish.

Edited by lucky cal

• 1 month later...

I am trying to complete my reservation and see there are 2 AVIS locations, one is on Sixth Ave. and also lists as Sgt Preston's lodge and the other one that comes up with "car rentals dot com is listed as 3rd ave and Spring Street. Does anyone know which anything about either? Not sure which one to reserve with. Thanks.

I am trying to complete my reservation and see there are 2 AVIS locations, one is on Sixth Ave. and also lists as Sgt Preston's lodge and the other one that comes up with "car rentals dot com is listed as 3rd ave and Spring Street. Does anyone know which anything about either? Not sure which one to reserve with. Thanks.

It may be, now that they are open all year, this address defaults, since it is likely the lodging on 3rd shuts down in the Winter.

I wouldn't be concerned, and just book what ever comes up for Skagway, then verify with a direct call. As I mentioned, I did hear they are now open off season, but would suspect, limited hours.

The "usual" place their car lot has been for years, is on Spring between 2nd and 3rd, with their office at the Westmark, on 3rd. So if it does change to the listed address, it's a 3 block further walk. But, they are only going to have one office here.

I will just add another reminder with Avis. Last year I ran into 2 different parties, who- were on back to back cruises in Whittier, and were "delighted" with reserving, what they thought were great rate cars. One was quite outspoken on the roll call. I had my doubts and suggested they verify their 1/4 rate they claimed they had gotten. Well, come to find out, they had booked Whittier, Ca. and when they found this out, Whittier Ak was sold out, so they didn't get a car. It's easy to mix up the reservations, best to double check for accuracy.

Somewhere on the Avis web site i noticed that it shows the Sgt. Preston address as their winter location and the other address as their summer site. I think 3rd and Spring is the summer location, which is closer to the Railway dock.

• 3 months later...

I wondered if someone renting from avis in Skagway (in 2015) could comment on their experience. I have seen in the past that you cannot go down the road to Dyea with an avis car but the posting was 7 years old. Have they changed their policy?

THanks

I wondered if someone renting from avis in Skagway (in 2015) could comment on their experience. I have seen in the past that you cannot go down the road to Dyea with an avis car but the posting was 7 years old. Have they changed their policy?

THanks

No they have not. IF you want to drive the Dyea Road, then rent from either of the other 2 vendors. And make sure you are insured.

• 1 year later...

Just FYI.....inflation and popularity of renting in Skagway has increased the price of the car rentals for June 2017. I reserved a car about a month ago and the cheapest for compact car was $134 and full size, $154 for the day, picking it up at 9:00 a.m with return at 5:00 p.m.....with tax and insurance, on a full size it comes to $209. We are positive on our plans yet, but have one reserved just in case.

Is it walking distance from the cruise ship port in Skagway to the Avis office?:confused:

Easily walkable, if you don't have any mobility limitations. I've done it twice from the further Railroad dock, and I'm middle aged and overweight. :D