To take or not to take a stroller

KatieBug28

Hey! I need some help from my fellow cruising parents.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should take a stroller for my DD, who will turn 2 two days before our cruise. We've cruised with a toddler before, but older DD was 3 at the time and we drove to the port instead of flying. This time we'll be flying, and a stroller would be super handy for the airport, since a 2 year old gets pretty heavy to carry and it can be a long walk through LAX.

So, here's my questions: If you took a stroller, where did you store it? Will it fit under the bed? Did you find yourself using it in port very much? Would a toddler hiking backpack be better, so you could carry them and have your hands free?

I'm pretty sure we won't use it on the ship, since we're sailing the Miracle and she is much smaller than the other ships we have been on. But we might find it handy in port, because we like to go find out of the way restaurants and things to do. I'm leaning toward taking it, but wanted some feedback from all of you who cruise more often than we do. We're generally more of a land-based vacation family, and we wouldn't dream of going without a stroller at Disneyland or a toddler backpack at a national park.

my kids are older but I recommend an umbrella stroller. can easily be folded up and brought into the cabin but can also fit easily through the narrow hallways should your little fall asleep while out and about. I wouldn't travel with a 2yo without some kind of stroller.

I agree with the umbrella stroller for using in the airport and ports.

But anytime I've encountered a stroller onboard a ship, the 'driver' was, 90% of the time, oblivious to anyone else on board.

Big strollers are too cumbersome.

We sailed twice with a GD and GS when both were two or little less. I too vote for the umbrella stroller for use off the ship. I would either take one or if you go in a day early find a store and buy one. I recall we used it extensively walking Old San Juan. Unless you are doing Alaska the backpack carrier will be to hot for both of you.

But anytime I've encountered a stroller onboard a ship, the 'driver' was, 90% of the time, oblivious to anyone else on board.

I've totally seen them too! That's a big part of why I don't want to use one on board. Plus it's good to walk off a few of those extra calories, and hauling a toddler up the stairs should help :p

My husband informs me that we did take a stroller with my older DD, and I have apparently just forgotten it entirely (I did have a baby since then, with the associated memory loss!). I don't think renting one on the ship would work for us, just because the main place we would want to use it is the airport.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about the car seat situation! We haven't decided if we are renting a car or taking a shuttle, but I'd love to figure out some way that I don't have to drag car seats on and off the ship!

Another vote for umbrella stroller. Second option would be to rent one on the ship and not bother trying to fly with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying with a stroller is SUPER easy! Easier than flying with baggage, lol. You just check it at the gate when you board the plane, and its sitting there waiting for you on the jetway as you de-plane. There is also no charge for gate checking the stroller either, just like a wheelchair.

We took our 18 month old last year on a cruise, and we def brought the stroller. It was great for the ship and ports especially so we were not confined to the cabin anytime DD wanted to take a nap. She fell asleep at Castaway Cay and when we re-boarded we just dropped her at the nursery stroller and all so she could continue her nap while mommy and daddy went to the Adults Only Area.

It was also a really good way to get her out of the sun with the cover on the stroller so she didnt get over exposed.

We always take umbrella strollers for the grandkids. My daughter usually gets a Chicco or Jeep brand. They hold up very well. The last cruise we just went out and bought an inexpensive one and it didn't hold up very well. It's so handy on the ship and ports. It's a lot of walking for the little ones.

my kids are older but I recommend an umbrella stroller. can easily be folded up and brought into the cabin but can also fit easily through the narrow hallways should your little fall asleep while out and about. I wouldn't travel with a 2yo without some kind of stroller.

I totally agree with this post. An umbrella stroller is the way to go. One with a little canopy would be best to keep the sun off.

I've totally seen them too! That's a big part of why I don't want to use one on board. Plus it's good to walk off a few of those extra calories, and hauling a toddler up the stairs should help :p

My husband informs me that we did take a stroller with my older DD, and I have apparently just forgotten it entirely (I did have a baby since then, with the associated memory loss!). I don't think renting one on the ship would work for us, just because the main place we would want to use it is the airport.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about the car seat situation! We haven't decided if we are renting a car or taking a shuttle, but I'd love to figure out some way that I don't have to drag car seats on and off the ship!

Don't most rental car agencies provide car seats? My DS is 19 now so we haven't had these problems in awhile. LOL! But I'd check that out...I do think car seats are provided with rental cars if you ask for them. What I'm not sure about is if you have to pay an additional charge for one.

I forgot how old your little one is, but we got a small lightweight car seat for Dd when she first started cruising at age 3. It was like $20 at KMart and very basic - no back or cup holders or any extras. We brought a couple of bungee cords to attach it to the back or the stroller and it worked fine while in port. We attached one of our luggage tags to it for embarkation/debarkation. It served us well for many cruises until DD was old enough to be without a car seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to pay extra to rent a car seat through a rental agency. Definitely bring the umbrella stroller- you won't be sorry when you are in port! I folded mine and kept it in the closet or the small area between the bed and window (balcony cabin).

Don't most rental car agencies provide car seats? My DS is 19 now so we haven't had these problems in awhile. LOL! But I'd check that out...I do think car seats are provided with rental cars if you ask for them. What I'm not sure about is if you have to pay an additional charge for one.

They charge extra for car seats, but will provide them as long as you reserve in advance. Typically $5-10 per day in my experience.

We took a stroller on a cruise to the Caribbean with our then 17 month old. We flew Southwest out of LAX and it was easy to check the stroller at the gate. However I did find it easier to take my daughter through the security screening in a baby carrier. In ports, I didn't take the stroller because the carrier is so much more convenient for beaches and places that just aren't accessible for wheels. We are booked on a cruise to Alaska this summer and I plan to take just the carrier and leave the stroller home. The carrier I have rolls up small enough to stuff into a large diaper bag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely! I was just on the Inspiration with my almost 4 year old DD. It is far easier to get through the port and check in process knowing exactly where she is. At this age, she doesn't run away from me anymore, so I didn't use it much onboard. I didn't get off in Ensenada. It was also useful at debark.