Costa Serena - Arabian Gulf - Dubai - Muscat - Abu Dhabi - Khasab - January 16th - 23

tomvet

Yes, the same Dhow cruise as you, where we all got wet not from the snorkelling but from the waves and spray. We booked ages ago for the cruise, when an inside cabin was £319 per person and £50 extra for premium and more for a balcony, something like £469 each per week, so we were well and truly out of pocket as the price dropped to £149 for inside and not much more for a balcony. At the time of booking it seemed a really good price compared with Hotels in Dubai but you live and learn. The water situation was a nightmare even if you had the drinks package, as they would more often than not give you a very small glass.

Like you say there weren't as many Italians as usual, did you see the older gentleman (doing his own version) dancing on his own every night, priceless.

I heard that the Italian dancing gentlemen is one of Costa's most loyal customers! This was our second Costa Cruise, having been on the Pacifica in the Med in 2013. We were amazed to see the same dancing gentleman (same dance, same spot!) 2 years on. We got speaking to him during the week, turns out that he has done near to 100 Costa cruises, lives alone in Milan and travels regularly. Infact, after disembarking he was home for 6 days before boarding the Costa Diadema in the med!

I heard that the Italian dancing gentlemen is one of Costa's most loyal customers! This was our second Costa Cruise, having been on the Pacifica in the Med in 2013. We were amazed to see the same dancing gentleman (same dance, same spot!) 2 years on. We got speaking to him during the week, turns out that he has done near to 100 Costa cruises, lives alone in Milan and travels regularly. Infact, after disembarking he was home for 6 days before boarding the Costa Diadema in the med!

Does this Italian dancing gentleman happen to wear a pair of white glasses? There was such a man on the Fortuna that used to keep us amused at the dance classes on deck during the day. Always there and always in the middle at the front.

Yes, the same Dhow cruise as you, where we all got wet not from the snorkelling but from the waves and spray. We booked ages ago for the cruise, when an inside cabin was £319 per person and £50 extra for premium and more for a balcony, something like £469 each per week, so we were well and truly out of pocket as the price dropped to £149 for inside and not much more for a balcony. At the time of booking it seemed a really good price compared with Hotels in Dubai but you live and learn. The water situation was a nightmare even if you had the drinks package, as they would more often than not give you a very small glass.

Like you say there weren't as many Italians as usual, did you see the older gentleman (doing his own version )dancing on his own every night, priceless.

We booked last Sept with Costa.de and paid €399 for us 2 and zilch for the 3 kids so €798. Even when it fell to £149 with Costa.co.uk we would have to pay £99 for each of the 3 kids! So that would be £598 so for us it didn't get much cheaper and the flights did get a little dearer.

I don't remember any British on the Dhow!

We did not buy the drinks package only the 13 bottles of H20 for 32.99€. I did think having 13 was a bit mean! They could have at least made it 14 - 2 bottles per night!

I did not see the dancer but we hadn't time to bless ourselves as you can appreciate!

We were on the same cruise and had a fantastic time.

We booked the weekend prior, at a cost of £169pp for an Inside cabin. Emirates flights ex GLA were reasonable, which made it all the better. We originally had began looking at the MSC Splendida or Costa Diadema in the Med, before realising that we could get to Dubai for not much more.

This was our second Costa cruise, having done numerous with Royal Caribbean and MSC. I feel that both Royal and MSC are a level above Costa in terms of entertainment, food and the ship itself. However, I feel that the Costa product, relative to the price, is absolutely fantastic and we wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again (Just perhaps not at £1000pp cruise only).

There were niggles which I believe put Royal and MSC at an advantage:

- As mentioned above soft drinks and water were served in small glasses.

- The late night pizza now costs extra.

- No live band at the pool or theatre (MSC doesn't have a theatre band)

- Decor is a takes a little getting used to.

However, service (especially bar service in lounges) was the best we have experienced on any ship. Weighing up the entire trip, we got fantastic value for money, paying around 20% of what we usually pay, and found Costa to deliver only a slightly less polished product.

We booked the Dhow cruise also, albeit through a private tour operator. We were also absolutely frozen and soaked on the way back. But we enjoyed the trip. Quite a unique experience. Nothing could be done about the temperature of the wind or wave height.

I hope what I have wrote doesn't sound negative, as it isn't intended to be. We had a great break and will definitely consider Costa for future, especially winter/last minute breaks where the price is a little lower.

Happy to answer any questions!

Our Dhow cruise was not a ship sponsored one! We used Dolphin Khasab Tours!

Thank you so much for this great report! I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to our cruise even more. I will also add the Burj Khalifa bto my list.

We will travel with two kids, 4 & 9, so your report was especially helpful.

Also, it was great to read that someone was happy with Costa, after all the other reports I was straing to be afraid of our cruise on the Serena, starting on the 27th of March.

Thank you for taking the time to share your exprience and pics.

Book the BK today or tomorrow as tickets open 30 days out and sell fast.

Your 4&9 year olds will love it! Have a great time and if you have any questions please ask.

Hi All,

We recently returned from this cruise and had an amazing time. I had read lots of reviews so my expectations were low! Yes, the ship is tired and has strange décor, yes, the food isn't amazing and the entertainment could be a little more up to date but plenty makes up for this. The staff are superb and the place is spotless. I'm not sure I'd feel this way if we'd paid any more than we did but for around £750 including direct flights per person it was an absolute bargain.

We had a premium balcony, level 6 stern. 3197? Should we have wanted we could have had 4 meals a day - I'm not sure how they make any money! I realise Emirates will have a deal with them but even at £300 for flights & £450 for the cruise I can't make it stack up.

Quick tips:

Anyway, that apart, what a fantastic itinerary. Dubai is much changed from my last trip 8 years ago, we took the open bus for a look about and to kill 12 hours waiting for our cabin! If you want to go up the Burj Khalifa you get further up on a private tour - about £90 than the ship's tour.

Muscat - we got a taxi outside the port, they charge by the hour & you'll find things you never knew about! Ask your driver to take you to an authentic restaurant and try the lamb cooked in a pit. Day 2 we had a Dhow tour where a LOT of people were ill - I never saw the warnings for this but it was rocky on the open sea (I think a gentle tour in a Dhow is available in Kasab).

Kasab - we took the ship's tour up the mountain - it was awesome!

Abu Dhabi - URGH, this was Ferrari World - an absolute waste of time! We went for the roller coaster and after that came back so a pretty expensive waste of a day in a city which looked wonderful! We did however do the open bus there so saw a lot including the race track. Avoid Ferrari world if you don't absolutely adore Ferrari's, it feels about 5 years away from being a tourist attraction.

Back to Dubai and all it's delights.

The drinks package was worth it for us - 3 cocktails and a coffee and it's paid for itself, I'm not a wine drinker but the prosecco was passable since there was no champers. Most cocktails are included.

Hi All,

We recently returned from this cruise and had an amazing time. I had read lots of reviews so my expectations were low! Yes, the ship is tired and has strange décor, yes, the food isn't amazing and the entertainment could be a little more up to date but plenty makes up for this. The staff are superb and the place is spotless. I'm not sure I'd feel this way if we'd paid any more than we did but for around £750 including direct flights per person it was an absolute bargain.

We had a premium balcony, level 6 stern. 3197? Should we have wanted we could have had 4 meals a day - I'm not sure how they make any money! I realise Emirates will have a deal with them but even at £300 for flights & £450 for the cruise I can't make it stack up.

Quick tips:

Anyway, that apart, what a fantastic itinerary. Dubai is much changed from my last trip 8 years ago, we took the open bus for a look about and to kill 12 hours waiting for our cabin! If you want to go up the Burj Khalifa you get further up on a private tour - about £90 than the ship's tour.

Muscat - we got a taxi outside the port, they charge by the hour & you'll find things you never knew about! Ask your driver to take you to an authentic restaurant and try the lamb cooked in a pit. Day 2 we had a Dhow tour where a LOT of people were ill - I never saw the warnings for this but it was rocky on the open sea (I think a gentle tour in a Dhow is available in Kasab).

Kasab - we took the ship's tour up the mountain - it was awesome!

Abu Dhabi - URGH, this was Ferrari World - an absolute waste of time! We went for the roller coaster and after that came back so a pretty expensive waste of a day in a city which looked wonderful! We did however do the open bus there so saw a lot including the race track. Avoid Ferrari world if you don't absolutely adore Ferrari's, it feels about 5 years away from being a tourist attraction.

Back to Dubai and all it's delights.

The drinks package was worth it for us - 3 cocktails and a coffee and it's paid for itself, I'm not a wine drinker but the prosecco was passable since there was no champers. Most cocktails are included.

I always had the suspicion that Ferarri world may look and sound better than it is.

I would have loved to do the Jeep safari up Jebel Harim but it was not an option with 3 very small kids. I might have been just too bumpy. Instead we did the more sedate Dhow cruise in Khasab but that was fairly choppy too - our 3 year old got a bit sea sick and we got soaked by the spray.

Yes the walk in ticket price for the BK is a whopping AED500. Certainly not worth that. 125AED pre booked timed ticket is far more acceptable.

We are on this cruise in a few weeks time and have purchased the drinks package. Just received my Costa cruise tickets via email...under other services purchased it shows my all inclusive drinks package / delivery place - Dining Room / Time 23.00. Does this mean that we wont be getting our 'all inclusive' untill 23.00 on the first day. We arrive in Dubai at 7.00 after a night flight - very much doubt we will be around at that time !! Can anyone let me know the procedure - thanks

We are on this cruise in a few weeks time and have purchased the drinks package. Just received my Costa cruise tickets via email...under other services purchased it shows my all inclusive drinks package / delivery place - Dining Room / Time 23.00. Does this mean that we wont be getting our 'all inclusive' untill 23.00 on the first day. We arrive in Dubai at 7.00 after a night flight - very much doubt we will be around at that time !! Can anyone let me know the procedure - thanks

We had this "problem" on our January cruise. On our e-documents, I also saw 23:00 in the MDR, I spoke to Costa about it. It is something to do with their software system in that is automatically printed / included in the tickets.

Just forget about it, when you get to your cabin your Costa Cards will be waiting for you, on the back of it nest to the Costa Card will be "EXTRA", thus showing that you have purchased the AI package.

Some advice, take your final invoice and any other docuemnts that show you have the AI, this is just in case your Costa Card does not show EXTRA, then go to Guest Relations Desk with you documentation and get the card changed.

Don't worry, be croosing and boosing.

Can you please tell me which section of your cruise tickets the other services purchased appears? The reason I ask is that I've paid for the package and it is not showing on my tickets. I queried this with Costa UK as I was sure it had appeared on my tickets in previous years. The reply I got was that it is not reflected on my tickets (.... Yeah, I know that is what I told them,) but it would be automatically loaded to my Costa card. Feeling a bit nervous about that.

In previous years when I've had this package on the Srabian Guldf sailings, I was able to use the AI from the time I boarded to buy drinks.

We had this "problem" on our January cruise. On our e-documents, I also saw 23:00 in the MDR, I spoke to Costa about it. It is something to do with their software system in that is automatically printed / included in the tickets.

Just forget about it, when you get to your cabin your Costa Cards will be waiting for you, on the back of it nest to the Costa Card will be "EXTRA", thus showing that you have purchased the AI package.

Some advice, take your final invoice and any other docuemnts that show you have the AI, this is just in case your Costa Card does not show EXTRA, then go to Guest Relations Desk with you documentation and get the card changed.

Don't worry, be croosing and boosing.

Unless it has changed since Jan 16th - your Costa card will not be waiting for you in your room. You hand over your passport on deck 1 or 0 upon embarkation and here is where you get your Costa card. It allows you to transact for the few hours until your cabin is available at 2030.

Unless it has changed since Jan 16th - your Costa card will not be waiting for you in your room. You hand over your passport on deck 1 or 0 upon embarkation and here is where you get your Costa card. It allows you to transact for the few hours until your cabin is available at 2030.

Even better, one can head straight to a watering hole.

Can you please tell me which section of your cruise tickets the other services purchased appears? The reason I ask is that I've paid for the package and it is not showing on my tickets. I queried this with Costa UK as I was sure it had appeared on my tickets in previous years. The reply I got was that it is not reflected on my tickets (.... Yeah, I know that is what I told them,) but it would be automatically loaded to my Costa card. Feeling a bit nervous about that.

In previous years when I've had this package on the Srabian Guldf sailings, I was able to use the AI from the time I boarded to buy drinks.

It is on my cruise ticket i received via email from Costa:-

Item 1 Itinerary

Item 2 Cruise Detail

Item 3 Other Services purchased ....

Special Services

Delivery place: DINING ROOM Time: 2300

Description: EXTRA-EXTRA ALL INCLUSIVE AD PKG-1378

It is on my cruise ticket i received via email from Costa:-

Item 1 Itinerary

Item 2 Cruise Detail

Item 3 Other Services purchased ....

Special Services

Delivery place: DINING ROOM Time: 2300

Description: EXTRA-EXTRA ALL INCLUSIVE AD PKG-1378

Thanks for that. I've contacted Costa again and they say because I booked via their website it won't show on my tickets, I just need to take the original email confirmation. Seems a bit weird.

We have just returned from this cruise. Our flight arrived in Dubai around 7.15 in the morning so just picked up our cases and went straight to cruise terminal to drop off the cases then picked up a taxi, did some sightseeing then had a great Friday Brunch at Hilton doubletree which meant we were able to use their pool, beach area etc for a bit of a relax before we went to board the Serena around 1800 - walked straight on at this time which was great - cabin available from 2030 so had a drink or two first. The all incl drinks package is a must - we would have spend a fortune without this (average price for a G & T, beer etc is about 7-8 euros)

We paid for a balcony cabin but had a mini suite - no complaints here. The actual ship was ok - a bit tired but kept very clean. The ports of call were great. In Muscat we walked to the Muttrah souks for a spot of shopping then took a taxi to Crowne Plaza hotel for lunch and spent the afternoon sitting by their pool. In Khasab we took the free bus to the town, its not touristy but we managed to bag a bargain Iphone 6 for about £70. Abu Dhabi was beautiful and is somewhere I would return to for a holiday - preferred it to Dubai.

Had a good week away on the Serena, the only thing that let it down was the food. You won't starve as there is plenty but found it pretty tasteless and poorly cooked. Our evening meals were at Ceres and out of the 6 we had, only had 1 that I could say I enjoyed. Some of the meals were very undercooked, fish and chicken were especially bad and taken away barely eaten not just by our party, but from the adjoining tables too.

If you are used to P & O, RCI or similar, the dining experience is not even close to what you will have had before. But if you are prepared to forgo the fine dining experience and have managed to get a bargain, then its fine.

Davidcraig, yes this is the same gentlemen who was dancing.

Regarding food in the Ceres, DH had the tuna one evening much to his regret as he had to attend the medical centre the day after. We saw on the menu that against some dishes it made reference to having been frozen, have not seen this reference before on any other cruise lines menu.

Regarding the Dhow cruise in Khasab, my husband offered to help you off the bus with your buggy and also helped you on the Dhow when at one point it looked like you and your twins were going to be washed over the side as your husband was attending to your little girl.

Davidcraig, yes this is the same gentlemen who was dancing.

Regarding food in the Ceres, DH had the tuna one evening much to his regret as he had to attend the medical centre the day after. We saw on the menu that against some dishes it made reference to having been frozen, have not seen this reference before on any other cruise lines menu.

Regarding the Dhow cruise in Khasab, my husband offered to help you off the bus with your buggy and also helped you on the Dhow when at one point it looked like you and your twins were going to be washed over the side as your husband was attending to your little girl.

Maybe that is why I don't remember you clearly as I am the husband! But my wife remembers you and says 'Hello and thank you'. She says she was shocked after Una got a wave into the face! :)

The current service charge is €8.50 (since 24.11.2014) per person per day.

Next year (2015 / 2016) it is €9.00 p.p.p.d.

See attached:

That first 50c increase did not last long! €9 is hefty.