Norwegian Cruise Line Raises Daily Gratuities

AFuncruiser

Tipping for good service is one thing and subsidizing slave wages is another.. Call it what it is...

One of these days they will give us the cruise for free and increase the service charge and charge us for every towel, meal, entertainment etc...

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Tipping for good service is one thing and subsidizing slave wages is another.. Call it what it is...

One of these days they will give us the cruise for free and increase the service charge and charge us for every towel, meal, entertainment etc...

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Tipping is after paying the Daily Service Charge. Which isn't actually a charge for outstanding service.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Might be slave wages to you but to the crew they can earn 2 to 4 times what they could earn in their home country, so they don't see it that way. Anytime you eat at a sit down restaurant your tips make up most of what your server earns since they earn a fraction of the minimum wage.

One of these days people posting about the "good ol' days of cruising" will give up and find another vacation to take... :rolleyes:

The good old days for me are any cruise I take...

Kind of of reminds me of when I first started cruising and I ask a couple who had been on many cruises what their favorite ship was they answered "What ever ship we find ourselves on"

The good old days are now..

Rolls eyes....

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

516 days at sea

58 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Dennis, I encourage your continued participation in the forum here. Perhaps you could post your insights in one of the other dozen recent threads on this topic. You have much to add to the discussion.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

And if you were to get your cruise for free and had to pay for your towels, meals, entertainment, etc. would you have a problem paying a service charge?

Where can you go and have 3 meals, a room that is cleaned every day and turned down for you at night, a clean bathroom with clean towels, entertainment, etc. and only pay $12.95 a day in service charges?

Harriet

And if you were to get your cruise for free and had to pay for your towels, meals, entertainment, etc. would you have a problem paying a service charge?

Where can you go and have 3 meals, a room that is cleaned every day and turned down for you at night, a clean bathroom with clean towels, entertainment, etc. and only pay $12.95 a day in service charges?

Harriet

Hi Harriet,

I feel cruising today is a great travel bargain.. I am always telling friends how cheap cruising is and unbelievable all that is included for the price of a ticket.

I am so glad I live in a port city and when bored am able to book a cruise at the last minute..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

isn't this about the 3rd or 4th thread on the subject of raising the DSC? What difference does it make to you if you pay via a gratuity or pay more to cruise? I really don't see your point..

You do realize NCL is not different than any other cruise line don't you? They all have auto DSC or call it what you want and you can be sure they will all be raising the price.

Heck if they want to give us the cruise for free fine: I would be glad to pay for what I used and nothing else. what would be wrong with that?