Is the Oasis as bad as we hear?

This may be our last cruise as we are thinking about purchasing a house in Florida so when we retire we have a place to go.

C'mon down, you'll LOVE the weather! Don't give up cruising just because you buy a house! Even if you have to borrow, a cruise is absolutely the best vacation ever!

Hello Screamin400,

You will enjoy your cruise, I have been on The Allure of the Seas during Hurricane Sandy and also had some other problems as well, which Royal took care of. Many people I talked to on Allure said we will like the Oasis and they were right. We were on the Oasis in November of 2013 and stopped at Saint Thomas and had a real problem with an excursion that left 15 of us stranded at Coral World when our driver failed to pick us up. There was one taxi left and I walked over and told the person who was talking to the taxi driver that ours failed to pick us up so he immediately called the the driver but he did not answer the phone. So the taxi driver asked me if I was on the Oasis and I sa yes and he said he would take us back,but he just needed to bring his only passenger back to the Carnival Dream first I said no Problem I the called over to the rest of the others in our group and said I got a ride back to the ship. Everyone thanked me and the driver for taking us back to the ship. The driver never asked us for a full fare and we just gave him the money we would have given the other driver. When we got back to the ship I went straight to the Concierge and told him what had happened and he arranged a meeting with the excursion director and told him what had happened and he even told me that would compensate the driver, but not sure if they ever did that, did call Royal Caribbean to see if did but they did no anything about it. The tour was booked on ship. Going back on the Oasis in the fall. Have a Great time and it was cool that Royal Caribbean responded to you. Also the Crew was fantastic.

Wendy

Hello Royal, Sure am glad you chimed in as I do not want to turn this into a bashing post I just want to put my wife at ease. Sounds like most folks really like the Oasis as I am sure we will. We have two cruises under our belt with Royal and one with Carnival. We consider them to be pretty much equal so this time we booked Royal due to the ship. This may be our last cruise as we are thinking about purchasing a house in Florida so when we retire we have a place to go.

I'm sailing Oasis for the first time in April so I've been following the reviews also. Seems like a mixed bag but I'm not too worried. Every ship I've been on has long lines at times for the elevators ...buffets...etc... I guess it comes with the territory..but if I have someone to bring me a drink with an umbrella in it and make my bed everyday I'm a pretty happy camper. I've been to St. Thomas 3 times and 2 of those times we took a ferry to St John and went to Trunk Bay...it is hands down the most beautiful beach I've ever been too...just a suggestion...enjoy your vacation whatever you decide!!

Just got off the Oasis on Feb 14 after doing the Eastern route.

For the life of us, we couldn't see what anybody had to complain about.

Yes, the ship is monstrous, but to be honest with you, we didn't encounter any lines at all. If there were a few people ahead of us at Park Cafe or anywhere else, the lines moved quickly.

We did the Prohibition Party and had a GREAT time (shhhhhhhhh.......) and thoroughly enjoyed Cats (Hint - instead of walking out at intermission, do yourself a favor and read about what the play is about BEFORE you go, that way you understand). The cast is extremely talented and hard working.

St Thomas is a GREAT stp and a trip to Magen's Bay and the beach there are a must. Not too often that you can visit a beach ranked in the top 10 in the world by National Geographic magazine. I am sure there are others that will say, "this beach is better, or that beach is better", but it is memorable just the same.

We LOVED the ship, the food, the entire atmosphere.

We had just gotten off the Carnival Conquest on Feb 7 and walked down the street and got on Oasis. There is NO COMPARRISON between food, entertainment, service and cleanliness.

Oasis wins hands down!!!!!

We are gold member's with each cruise line and will NEVER sail Carnival again.

We have sailed on many lines and had an opportunity to sail on NCL, Carnival and RCCL in a three month period of time and we were extremely impressed with RCCL. We normally are happy with all cruise lines but on our last cruise with Carnival after spending several thousand dollars we decided that the other cruise lines are far superior and we would rather spend our money elsewhere. I think you will love Oasis! The crew was very friendly and we loved all of the choices and the layout of the ship made it feel not as crowded as ships that are half the size. Have a wonderful cruise!

We have this problem w/ booking a hotel stay for 2days....honestly you're going to get a mixed batch of reviews for cruises, resorts, hotels. We love cruising, love resorts, but never sure on hotels. We are never sure on hotels...but when ppl tell you how much they love Oasis....LISTEN! We've sailed w/ Royal(and have no desire to try anything else...yet)since 2001...we are light weights compared to many on here! I've taken a lot of advice from here & sailed on Oasis' sister Allure in 2012 and have Oasis booked this May.

We were on Liberty in 2010 & 2013. When we were on Allure in 2012, I swore up & down I missed Liberty b/c of its cozy nature. Weeeeelllll...I was wrong! I can't wait to get on Oasis in a few months! So many options await you!

I hope you guys go & have a ball!

C'mon down, you'll LOVE the weather! Don't give up cruising just because you buy a house! Even if you have to borrow, a cruise is absolutely the best vacation ever!

That has to be about the worst advice I've ever read on these boards.:rolleyes: Of course, that is just my opinion.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Bottom line is Oasis class ships are without a doubt the most incredible ships ever built for cruising....no other ship can compare....period! if someone wants to debate this I would love to hear it.

My sentiments exactly! We'll be onboard Oasis tomorrow so we'll be able to judge for ourselves whether the gripers and complainers are off the wall or not. I for the life of me, can't fathom how anyone could NOT enjoy a cruise! On any ship, for that matter! How great the opportunities we have to enjoy a week of pure bliss on the seas in the beautiful Caribbean! Okay, I'm getting a bit crazy here but really, just put me on a ship and I'm happy as a clam. This will be our first cruise on Oasis, our 3 on RCI and my 28th overall. RCI is now right up there with our favorite ships.

Ocean Boy, you need a vacation.

Edited by Diver2014

Not been on Oasis but been on Allure and the line for the lunch buffet at Windjammer could be horrendous. Once it gets really busy, you will wait in line and the staff will lead you to an empty table. I never had to wait in line for long because I went to lunch earlier than evrybody else. You will just have to adjust your time to beat the crowd.

I'm a fan of big ships, more things to see and more things to do so to me Oasis class ships are not too big and I loved it. They are really is a class of their own.

It is really ashame that their ports are so limited due to their size.

We did Oasis, then Allure. Absolutely fantastic.

My suggestion is you really need to do your homework and learn everything you can about the ship, the dining options, the deck plans.

Do not go to the Windjammer upon boarding. Never never never. Have a nice breakfast before getting on, and spend your time exploring the ship.

Personally, I never ate in the WJ for lunch on any of our two cruises. There are so many other places on the ship you can grab lunch.

However, I ate breakfast in the WJ every day, but, I am an early riser, and would get there when it opened at 7:00 AM. Tremendous selection to choose.

The Oasis is like a city. The more you know about it the better you will be.

IMHO, anyone that could not have the greatest of times on these ships ..... well ...... there is something wrong with them.

You will have a blast.

Sailing on the Oasis March 7 and I am not worried at all about "crowding" or "lines". I've sailed large ships, small and in between. All ships have lines and crowds if you go to popular spots at peak times. As far as service goes, I usually find if I give respect and a smile, that is what I get in return. I can't wait for March 7! (freezing here in NY!)

The Oasis is a beautiful ship. We sailed on her in January 2014. I chose that ship because I wanted to experience all she had to offer. Yes it's huge, there's a lot to see and do. Don't miss the aqua show, every evening on deck 8, Central Park there was beautiful music. The only thing I wasn't fond of is that you need to plan which nights to go to which events, because of limited space. It was harder to be spontaneous. Would I sail her again? Absolutely. There are plenty of places to eat, try new things.

It was our first visit to St. Thomas, loved it there. You dock literally steps away from things to do there. Unlike having to walk a mile from the pier to find a taxi in some ports.

Go ahead and take your trip on the Oasis, it is a once in a lifetime experience, we had a blast. I always take the reviews with a grain of salt, from your post, I can see you do too. We are pretty easy going and don't let too much bother us.

"A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work"

Have fun!