Wine Packages

Triplalot

Hubby and I usually enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner and the odd glass during the day. I was wondering whether it might be worth pre purchasing a 12 bottle wine package prior to our 14 day Oceana cruise. We are the types who enjoy wine tastings and visits to vineyards looking for interesting wines to add to our collection. Does anybody have experiences with these wine packages, positive or negative? Is the house wine good? Your comments will be appreciated.

Hubby and I usually enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner and the odd glass during the day. I was wondering whether it might be worth pre purchasing a 12 bottle wine package prior to our 14 day Oceana cruise. We are the types who enjoy wine tastings and visits to vineyards looking for interesting wines to add to our collection. Does anybody have experiences with these wine packages, positive or negative? Is the house wine good? Your comments will be appreciated.

I think, as knowledgable wine drinkers you will not find the house wine up to much really (think Wolf Blass Red Label etc.) Anything of any quality will be quite pricy because of the mark up and it may well be well worth bringing some ashore for cabin drinking, though the corkage charge is a problem in the MDR.

Wine packages give a small saving on individual bottles but I would wait until boarding before ordering.

David.

We have had one of the wine packages on several cruises. There are different packages and they do give you a saving on the normal prices. You will find the packages listed on the P&O web site but I would suggest you wait until you are on board and then ask the wine waiter for a leaflet detailing the different ones and then you can choose. There is never a problem with saving a bottle until the next night if you don't finish it - we have even had the remains of a bottle sent up to one of the Select Dining Restaurants as that was where we were eating the following night.

We have had one of the wine packages on several cruises. There are different packages and they do give you a saving on the normal prices. You will find the packages listed on the P&O web site but I would suggest you wait until you are on board and then ask the wine waiter for a leaflet detailing the different ones and then you can choose. There is never a problem with saving a bottle until the next night if you don't finish it - we have even had the remains of a bottle sent up to one of the Select Dining Restaurants as that was where we were eating the following night.

This is great advice.

I seldom have any empty bottles to keep for the next day, but when you want to economise it is a great idea to keep the wine for the next few days.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn puts Baileys in her weetabix.

This is great advice.

I seldom have any empty bottles to keep for the next day, but when you want to economise it is a great idea to keep the wine for the next few days.

There is a slim chance I would have some left over wine, but only if the first bottle was empty and a second was ordered, and/or the waiting staff were rushing us out of the dining room :) would most likely take the leftover to the bar or back to my cabin anyway.....

There is a Captain's package and a Commodore's package with the latter being a little more expensive. We took the Commodores but the wine waiter advised us that the popular wines sometimes sell out. Make sure you have an alternative favourite.

Thank you for your responses it does appear that this could be good for us. I have downloaded the details of both collections and am drawn to the Commodore Collection since the selection is good, albeit some of the Captains Collection I also like.

When I purchase the package do I have to order my requirements (bottle by bottle) or do they give me 12 vouchers to redeem for any wine from the collection?