Enchantment - Boston Pier - 9/4/05

We are taking the Enchantment out of Boston on 9/4 and will be arriving (4 overpacking people) in a rental SUV which has to go back to Avis at Logan Airport. I plan to drop the others and luggage off, park at a short term lot, walk back to the pier and rejoin the group, check in, walk back to the parking area, take the SUV to Logan and then make my way back to to pier by shuttle ? cab ? whatever ?.

Any suggestions from the gang here? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dave

Just brought my Mom and friend to the Boston Port on Tues:

I *think* you are saying you are flying into Logan and then renting the SUV???

If so-consider paying for a limo (not because it is a limo but because it will fit all of you) there should be competitive prices- it is truly a 10 minute ride to the Port from Logan-easy easy easy and short ride. Maybe you can get a roundtrip deal so it is worth their while to pick you all up. Or take 2 cabs but the limo will be way more comfy and probably as cost effective.

Why? Because what you will pay in port parking, stress getting your people off, time and aggravation finding the parking space, schlepping back to the parking, waiting to return the SUV... is worth the limo fee.

Why pay for another piece of transportation to get back to the cruise terminal??? The parking lot is not that far away from the port, lots of people parked and dragged their luggage so you could on theory do your plan. But I don't see the point in you doing everything twice with just as much (perhaps more) expense of renting the SUV.

Plus-You will want to get on the ship already.

If I am wrong about your group arriving in Logan and you are actually driving from somewhere into Boston-then I would still drop off the car at Logan and either take a limo like I mentioned OR take 2 cabs.

Your orig plan has too much timing logistics and just begs for more stress and expense.

One more thing-I do not know if security will allow you back in the terminal after you have already checked in or not. They are very tight, you get your id checked, you get to go in, you get your seapass and register, you go to the elevator for the ship.

Best-

Diva in Boston

I would have to agree. I'm a native Bostonian who will actually be driving up that day just to see the boat. (We're going on it in December to the Western Caribbean, and can't miss the opportunity to see what she looks like for real.) While Boston has a wonderful public transportation system, there's no train station close to the Black Falcon terminal or that whole area of piers. On the other hand, the new Ted Williams tunnel goes directly from the airport to that part of South Boston, so taking a taxi, limo, or shuttle from the airport is the easiest way to go. (In fact, I'm not sure but I don't even know if private cars are allowed in the Ted Williams at all times; I think sometimes it's restricted for trucks, taxis, etc.,., which means you might have to go around via the old tunnels, into Boston, down the new central artery, figure out which exit to take to find your way to the cruise terminal... way too much a pain in the keister, if you ask me.)

I would suggest calling Avis to see what they have to offer. I don't believe they have shuttles. Your best bet will be to drop it off and grab a cab back. You aren't that far away. As far as parking and checking in, just make sure you can get out. Explain to the agents that you need to return your rental and will be back. I don't think they keep you in the terminal once you are in.

http://www.mbta.com

That is the website for the subway and Silverline. I know the Silverline has recently expanded out to Logan, but I don't think you can make a direct connection to the Black Falcon pier from there. I think you may have to take the Silverline Shuttle from the airport in to the WTC station and transfer to another line. That might be more of a hassle than you are looking for, but the shuttles are timely and pretty cheap ($1.25 one way).

Yeah i truly have to agree with everyone elses postings. It is barely a hop skip and a jump from Logan to Black Falcon. Although you may save a few bucks (and i only mean a few), i really dont think the hassle that you are going to experience is worth the little bit of money you will save. I would go with a Limo as well, or even a Cab, its only about a 10 minute ride, i dont see a cab costing you much more than renting the SUV.

You folks have such great input-

we'll be picking up a car in Manchester on Saturday a.m., staying at the Hampton Inn (Revere) Saturday night. (for reasons beyond me the air tickets were substantially less to go into Manchester versus Boston- and I can get the car for taxes only as I rent lots of cars for business so it's minimal cost).

at any rate- what would you suggest for return- would I be better to return the car to National Saturday night at the airport, then get back to the Hampton on their shuttle and take a cab from the Hampton to the Pier Sunday a.m.? Or just keep the car with us, go to National Sunday a.m. and take a cab to the pier from National?

thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry, was'nt too clear on what your actual plans were. So just let me get this straight. You are flying into Manchester the day before and driving into revere to stay at the Hampton Inn. So the following day Logan is where you have to return the vehicle right?....Well, i would take everyone to logan with you, drop the vehicle, then take a cab. Depending on the amount of luggage, they might make you take 2 cabs. But when you check in, i would ask the front desk check rates for you or what-not, on fares to Black Falcon form Logan.

sorry, I didn't make myself clear- yes, the car is going to be returned to Logan.

so my question really focuses on whether there is a price difference between the Hampton Inn- Revere to Black Falcon pier or Logan Airport to Black Falcon Pier. Is one closer (or for whatever reason less expensive) than the other?

thanks for the input.

we'll be picking up a car in Manchester on Saturday a.m., staying at the Hampton Inn (Revere) Saturday night. (for reasons beyond me the air tickets were substantially less to go into Manchester versus Boston- and I can get the car for taxes only as I rent lots of cars for business so it's minimal cost).

at any rate- what would you suggest for return- would I be better to return the car to National Saturday night at the airport, then get back to the Hampton on their shuttle and take a cab from the Hampton to the Pier Sunday a.m.? Or just keep the car with us, go to National Sunday a.m. and take a cab to the pier from National?

Manchester (along with other area airports, like Providence, R.I.) is cheaper because they're trying to steal business from Logan. :)

As for the car return.... I now understand your situation a little better. I hadn't realized you'd already have the SUV loaded up with people and cargo. So your three choices seem to be:

a.) Drive right to the ship, unload, drive the rental back to the airport alone, and catch a cab back to the ship; or...

b.) Drive to the car rental, unload, call a cab/limo/shuttle, load it up with the people and luggage again, and have them drive you to the ship, or...

c.) Take the car back the night before and have everyone take a limo/shuttle from the hotel to the ship.

They each present their own little problems.

Drawbacks for plan A: you have to find your way in Boston; you have a lot of individual legwork to do; you may have trouble getting back to the ship, or on the ship; they may have to wait for you to return before boarding.

Drawbacks for plan B: you have to reload all your luggage at the car rental.

Drawbacks for plan C: you have to hope the limo/shuttle shows up in the morning at the time you want it to.

Logan's roughly halfway between the Hampton Inn in Revere and the Black Falcon Pier, so chances are it's cheaper to take the taxi from there (although with airport charges on the taxis, it might not be much difference).

If you can keep the car overnight without paying for an extra day, I'd suggest keeping the car overnight. It'll be easier when you're trying to find something to eat that night (there's not much in walking distance, and you wouldn't want to walk far along that road with the traffic). If not, then return the car and have the Hampton Inn shuttle bring you back to the hotel, and then to the airport the next day. They don't normally bring you to the pier, but if they're not busy, it wouldn't hurt to a$k ;) the driver.

By the way, you'll love flying into Manchester. It's much smaller than Logan and a lot less hassle.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I agree with NHRich. First, you will love flying into MHT. Second, keep the car overnight and have it at your disposal. Drop it at Logan and take the shuttle back. As Rich said, thing$ may $low on a $unday morning and he may ju$t accomodate your group$;)

Okay- now I feel really bad because I think I'm contributing to confusing everyone!

there are two separate posters asking questions about Boston this Sunday. The Big Booper is the person with the rental SUV and lots of luggage and asking the best way to handle that. He started the thread and I added to it without making myself very clear- my apologies.

I'm holomuku, a two person four bags cruiser with a rental car that will be picked up this Sat. noon at Manchester Airport to be returned to Logan Airport anytime before noon on Sunday. We are staying at the Hampton, Revere. We both realize that's not REALLY Boston- but we've both been to the real Boston several times (great city!) and this is just pre-cruise stay- hence the choice of location.

From what I'm reading it sounds like the best option for us is to keep the car until Sunday a.m. and then just take a cab from National Rental Car to the Pier. Although when I check in at the Hampton I'll a$k the liklihood of them giving us a ride to the pier on Sunday. Maybe even National can be a$ked the same ?. I do rent a lot of cars from them and are in their top tier frequent renter program- that might be of some help but probably not!

As for the Big Booper- you're braver than I am as I didn't even THINK of driving in Boston traffic!

As for the Big Booper- you're braver than I am as I didn't even THINK of driving in Boston traffic!

Holomuku -

You have a good plan. Let us know how it works out.

As for the quote above, its really just a sport. ;) :D

I hope I'm not adding to the confusion, but I often take taxis from Logan to the Black Falcon area (I work right down the street).

With tip and tolls and airport fees, the cab only costs $20 so I think it makes much more sense to just take a taxi from Logan.

If you have a lot of luggage the Best bet is to take car to Pier, Drop luggage and others. Return car to National/Avis......ten minute ride as both are right on the other side of tunnel. Then get cab back to Pier. You will have to take The Rent-a-Car shuttle to an airport terminal to get a cab back. Total time for this should be 35-40 minutes at most. If you get to the Pier early the others in your party can get in line and hold your space for you.

If you are Light on Luggage then I would just return the Car in the A.M. and cab it to the Pier.

Wow, this is confusing....

The Hampton Inn is about a mile north of the Logan, and Logan is a mile north of the BFP. All of the above suggestion a good, however I have one to add for both of you.

Call the car rental place. Tell them you will be dropping off the cars at the appropriate times, would it be possible for them to transport you to the pier in that car?

We did this last year with National when we sailed out of San Diego, we had no problem, they were just great. We pulled up, one went inside, did all the paperwork necessary and then she came out with a another person who drove the 4 of us to the pier and dropped us off.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck with this. I will echo others. Take the car to the airport, drop it off and take a cab from Logan to the pier. Also, it can't hurt to call the car rental company and see what they will do for you. I doubt that Hampton Inn will have a shuttle to the pier, as cruise traffic is not a major part of the Boston tourist industry. Have fun! Manchester is a great airport, easy in, easy out and with the rental car you will have lots of options on Route 1 for Dinner in Revere/Saugus/Lynnfield, etc.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. We are leaving EARLY Sunday morning in the SUV, from near Port Jervis NY on I84, will shoot across 84,91,90 to Boston, will then drop the others and luggage, drive over to the airport and cab back. Sounds like this is the best solution; we will all check in after I get back from Logan.

Since we live 100 miles from our friends it is not practical to come the night before and stay over.:)

David

Since several Bostonians have found this thread - maybe we can get advice on our scenario. Embarkation is no problem, because we are flying into Boston on the day before our cruise, and will take taxis from Logan to our small hotel near the Aquarium. We plan to take the trolley tour after we settle in to our hotel room. Any suggestions on a good seafood restaurant near the Aquarium/State Street area? We will take a taxi to Black Falcon from the hotel on 9//11.

When we return on 9/18, we have to get back to Logan in time to catch a 11:30 a.m. flight, thanks to American Airlines bumping us up to an earlier flight (schedule change, they said). Will there be taxis at Black Falcon on Sunday morning to get us back (quickly) to Logan? Suggestions?

LL

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. We are leaving EARLY Sunday morning in the SUV, from near Port Jervis NY on I84, will shoot across 84,91,90 to Boston, will then drop the others and luggage, drive over to the airport and cab back. Sounds like this is the best solution; we will all check in after I get back from Logan.

Since we live 100 miles from our friends it is not practical to come the night before and stay over.:)

David

Just a quick note...you can go 84 straight to 90...It is only worth going up 91 if you are going to hit Hartford rush hour traffic. Have a great trip!

Since several Bostonians have found this thread - maybe we can get advice on our scenario. Embarkation is no problem, because we are flying into Boston on the day before our cruise, and will take taxis from Logan to our small hotel near the Aquarium. We plan to take the trolley tour after we settle in to our hotel room. Any suggestions on a good seafood restaurant near the Aquarium/State Street area? We will take a taxi to Black Falcon from the hotel on 9//11.

When we return on 9/18, we have to get back to Logan in time to catch a 11:30 a.m. flight, thanks to American Airlines bumping us up to an earlier flight (schedule change, they said). Will there be taxis at Black Falcon on Sunday morning to get us back (quickly) to Logan? Suggestions?

LL

You can't throw a rock in Boston without hitting a seafood restaurant. In fact, I think there's one right there in front of the Aquarium. You can also walk more into town (Faneuil Hall area). And you have the MBTA Aquarium Blue Line stop right there, and can basically get anywhere.

I was just down there today, to take a look at Enchantment (we're sailing on her in December). We took some pictures, and then went to the No-Name Seafood Restaurant on the Fish Pier, not too far from the Black Falcon terminal.

Archived