Credit Preauth

gizzimo156

I looked online at RC..it only talks about the amount needed for cash deposit..do they preauth your card and if so how much..we have cards used specifically for vacation and just want to make sure the limit is high enough.

My sister went on a similar cruise last year and she said because they used a major cc that there was no preauth.

Also what is the avg you all have spent on a 7 day cruise....trying to figure out a reasonable budget for us as this is our 1st cruise.

Thanks!

Yes, they all put a hold on the card to make sure you have the funds available.

Most people don't even know this unless they use a debit card and the hold is not released fast.

All gas station pre authorize, all hotels do it, and all rental companies.

Yes, they all put a hold on the card to make sure you have the funds available.

Most people don't even know this unless they use a debit card and the hold is not released fast.

All gas station pre authorize, all hotels do it, and all rental companies.

I am wondering if its like a $500 a day or just $500...

You sis's card would have been subjected to that hold, it applies to both debit cards and credit cards - hence most pre-pay type debit cards aren't accepted by cruise lines. Unless that hold, or another transaction, took it over her credit limit and was consequently denied she wouldn't even know about it because it doesn't appear on statements. That hold remains for a week or so even after you have paid your on-board account (or hotel bill or car rental fees etc), while cogs whirr in the banking system.

If you have a high bank balance or a high unused credit limit on a credit card, no worries.

If you run a low bank account or are close to maxing your credit card it can cause problems with making purchases, drawing cash, or having automated payments such as utility bills honoured.

RCI (and virtually every other cruise line) don't charge card commission for settling the on-board account so I use a credit card, which has waaaaaay more credit on the card than I have cash in the bank.

The $64,000 question is what amount is the daily hold.

Sorry, I don't know - you'll need to ask RCI.

But it's a lot less than $64,000 ;)

JB :)

You sis's card would have been subjected to that hold, it applies to both debit cards and credit cards - hence most pre-pay type debit cards aren't accepted by cruise lines. Unless that hold, or another transaction, took it over her credit limit and was consequently denied she wouldn't even know about it because it doesn't appear on statements. That hold remains for a week or so even after you have paid your on-board account (or hotel bill or car rental fees etc), while cogs whirr in the banking system.

If you have a high bank balance or a high unused credit limit on a credit card, no worries.

If you run a low bank account or are close to maxing your credit card it can cause problems with making purchases, drawing cash, or having automated payments such as utility bills honoured.

RCI (and virtually every other cruise line) don't charge card commission for settling the on-board account so I use a credit card, which has waaaaaay more credit on the card than I have cash in the bank.

The $64,000 question is what amount is the daily hold.

Sorry, I don't know - you'll need to ask RCI.

But it's a lot less than $64,000 ;)

JB :)

Thanks...we have what I consider avg credit limit and don't go near maxing it out...would never use my debit card although I know others that do.

Can anyone tell me on avg what they take for shopping.. My sister said for their 7 day cruise they spent 2k...which seems like a lot

Thanks...we have what I consider avg credit limit and don't go near maxing it out...would never use my debit card although I know others that do.

Can anyone tell me on avg what they take for shopping.. My sister said for their 7 day cruise they spent 2k...which seems like a lot

Don't know if it helps or not but on NCL the pre-auth was $300. I budgeted $1100 for our 7 day cruise for 4 and that is what we spent (both onboard and ashore). I had pre-paid the gratuities and the excursions.

Don't know if it helps or not but on NCL the pre-auth was $300. I budgeted $1100 for our 7 day cruise for 4 and that is what we spent (both onboard and ashore). I had pre-paid the gratuities and the excursions.

Awesome thanks so much..we have prepaid our gratuities and excursions as well already... I was thinking around $1000 for spending and its just 2 of us but that also included being at universal studios for 3 days prior to cruise too