Carnival Conquest Eastern Caribbean Feb 7-15

parttimr

Finally rested and getting around to my first review so bear with me. Will try to cover everything best I can. Won't bore you with the flight info so hear goes.

We arrived in FLL and after getting our luggage called the desk at Springhill Suites for a ride and the van was there within 15 minutes. Upon arrival we were greeted with exceptional customer service. We were given each a bottle of water and headed to the room. After getting all settled we headed across the street to the small mall area while waiting on my brother and sister-in-law to arrive for their first cruise.

Once they arrived we contacted the guest about getting to the Rustic Inn Crab shack and Kevin at the desk was a great help. He suggested using KSA transportation which we used in Miami two years ago and after talking to Jonathan the representative who is at the hotel coordinating for the company we were off.

Anybody who likes sea food really needs to give this place a try. A bit on the pricey side but well worth it. Upon returning to the hotel I arranged once again for transportation thru KSA to get to and from the port and it all went smoothly on both pre and post cruise ends.

Day one embarkation. We arrived around 1015 and we went right in to the building and was immediately checked in (FTTF). Brother set up a cash account and it was smoother than I thought it would be and then it ws time to wait. They were having isues with the gangway so it was a little longer for boarding since we had to enter thru deck 1 instead od deck 3 but really no issues. We were on board by 1215 had carry-ons dropped off in the rooms and were off to guys burgers. Thought the burgers were really good but might be just a bit over hyped. Ate there once more but visited the fish and chips/Blue Iguana for burritos consistently (burritos are awesome).

Then it was off to take pics and wait for the muster drill. We had anytime dining but after sail away decided to go at 6 each evening. Our longest wait was 3 minutes and we always asked to be seated with the same wait staff as Karnita and his team were awesome.

We had two sea days at the beginning and one at the end so they were just the usual things one would do on those days. We spent most of our time at the AFT pool which is adults only and never once had a problem with loud music and bunches of children running around even with the pizza joint back there.

Without going into great depth and making this any longer than necessary will just cover what we did in the ports and evenings.

First stop was St Maarten where we had booke a tour thru Bernard Tours and it was fantastic. We had slim as our guise and he was spot on. Great with the historical information, was quick to answer the questions and made great effort to give us quite a few stops for pics. There was a fabulous rum punch available, waters, and regular/diet soda along with beer. We did Mayho beach and spent about an hour there so we could see the KLM 47 arrive and it was great. From there we went to Orient Beach for an hour and it was great as well. We did end up going to the French side on our way out and got an eye full at the nude beach end, lol. Just for those with children, on the Dutch side there is still a lot of topless sunbathing but on the French side it is full nudity allowed.

We also stopped at Sarafinas for some amazing pastries. Would highly recommend Bernards tours and hope to get Slim you wont regret it.

Next stop St Kitts. We scheduled a tour with Thenford Grey after reviews on Trip Advisor and CC but unfortunately it didn't live up to the reviews this day. Not much effort made for photo stops, and the beach we ended up at (cockleshell I believe) was not only dirty (garbage laying around) but the service at the restaurant was horrid and the water was full of seaweed. The highlight of the trip was the visit to the Fort and had plenty of time there to get some good photos. Would probably stay on the ship the next time or skip this port all together the next time.

We next went to San Jaun where we just did our own thing and visited the two forts, and took the free trolley down to the shopping areas and waited patiently as the ladies did their shopping thing then back to the ship to get ready for dinner.

Edited by parttimr

Our last stop was Grand Turk. The ladies just did a beach day as my brother and I took the snorkel trip we booked thru the cruise line. Highlight was when heading to the snorkel sight we had two whales no more than 200 yards off the beach surfacing and we stayed with them for a bit and got some good pics.

Even with the Sunshine in port at the same time there was plenty of loungers available and plenty of beach to enjoy. When done for the day reality started setting in that it was almost over for another year, lol. So there you have the ports.

As far as the shows we saw the Epic Rock, Divas, and The Brits. We thoroughly enjoyed the Epic Rock and the performers did a great job. Divas was so so and the Brits was terrible in our opinion. The performers were changing out so the new group performed the Brits so maybe we weren't attached to them as the others we watched the whole trip, lol.

First stop was St Maarten where we had booke a tour thru Bernard Tours and it was fantastic. We had slim as our guise and he was spot on. Great with the historical information, was quick to answer the questions and made great effort to give us quite a few stops for pics. There was a fabulous rum punch available, waters, and regular/diet soda along with beer. We did Mayho beach and spent about an hour there so we could see the KLM 47 arrive and it was great. From there we went to Orient Beach for an hour and it was great as well. We did end up going to the French side on our way out and got an eye full at the nude beach end, lol. Just for those with children, on the Dutch side there is still a lot of topless sunbathing but on the French side it is full nudity allowed.

Did you book Bernard's Private tour? We have this booked in April. We are planning on meeting at 9:30am. How long was your tour?

Sue

Our cruise director was Mike Pack and he is wonderful. If you get a chance to catch his trivia shows in the lobby you won't be disappointed as he gets the crowd involved and all have a great time.

Overall we had a wonderful time and booked our next cruise while on-board to get the OBC and the vouchers for others. Brother and sister-in-law enjoyed their first cruise so much they booked with us for the next one and now to have our first cove balconies.

We were picked up at the port by KSA upon our return We arrived at the Springhill Suites before 9:00 but once again the customer service was fantastic. Lydia at the desk got us into a room that was already available but had to wait on the second room which she called us later when it was available. We wanted to visit Coconuts (food and views were wonderful) for lunch and then do the water taxi and once again used KSA for the round trip and all went smoothly.

That pretty much sums it up hope I could help those who are coming up on this same itinerary. Would gladly try to answer any questions.

Orient beach is split and club orient is the clothing optional portion and thanks for the correction as it is all on the french side I meant the beach was split on the clothing options. We booked Bernards where we had 20 or so folks on board but it was no problem getting to do the sites. Our tour was about 5 hours and got back to port with plenty of time to shop.

Edited by parttimr

• 3 weeks later...
We did end up going to the French side on our way out and got an eye full at the nude beach end, lol. Just for those with children, on the Dutch side there is still a lot of topless sunbathing but on the French side it is full nudity allowed.

Just to set the record straight full nudity is only allowed (legally) on the section of Orient Beach in front of Club Orient.

Next stop St Kitts. We scheduled a tour with Thenford Grey after reviews on Trip Advisor and CC but unfortunately it didn't live up to the reviews this day. Not much effort made for photo stops, and the beach we ended up at (cockleshell I believe) was not only dirty (garbage laying around) but the service at the restaurant was horrid and the water was full of seaweed. The highlight of the trip was the visit to the Fort and had plenty of time there to get some good photos. Would probably stay on the ship the next time or skip this port all together the next time.

What a shame about St. Kitts. I had an all day tour with Mr. Grey himself several years ago when he was first starting his business. He took us to Black Rocks, the Batik factory, the fort, and a sugar plantaion where we had a lovely buffet of island foods. I would never skip this beautiful island. The beaches are made of black volcanic sand, not like other islands with their white sand beaches. The Marriott hauled white sand in for their beach because that is what their guests expected. I enjoy the natural beauty of the island. I'm happy to have been there before it changed.

Sue

We are cruising this exact itinerary in October. Would you happen to have copies of the Fun Times you could scan? I believe there are several of us who have been looking for these for this schedule.

Interesting to hear about Thenford, we were looking at someone to book at St. Kitts. Sorry your excursion was not all you wanted it to be. We also like to have a good amount of photo opportunities and like to do more than just ride along in a bus.

How did you find the trolly in San Juan. We were thinking about doing what you did. Hit the forts and then some shopping.

Thanks for your review.

We did bring the fun times home with us but while cleaning out suitcases thy were inadvertently thrown away, sorry.

As far as Thenford Tour I did contact him and let him know how disappointing it was compared to the previous days tour in St Marten and he was very apologetic even sent us a refund even after I told him that wasn't necessary.

The trolley in San Jaun is very easy to get on at numerous stops and makes the ride back from the forts nicer especially when the ladies were in a hurry to get to shopping, lol. The forts were very interesting. We did have one shop keeper tell us that their looking to raise sales tax I believe to 16% next year and feel that is going to hurt the shop owners and the street venders will make out.

Enjoy your cruise and the ship is in what we felt great condition contrary to a lot of reviews we read prior to going.