Snorkel decisions

Jiffymom

Snorkeling off the cays of STJ is the ultimate experience, however the water is deeper than with most off the beach snorkeling, and depending on the time of year the current can be strong. So do you want a daysail with one of the excellent operators like Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, or New Horizons just to name a few? Or off the beach snorkeling?

You've probably researched the East End beaches, any questions on those? Trunk Bay on STJ is overrated for snorkeling by most accounts but a beautiful beach.

Edited by blue_water

Blue Water

I'll be on the Freedom. With the port time 12-7 ( pretty sad )

Most snorkel tours are not available unless I book thru cruise .

So I was looking at the fast cat so we can have both snorkel and beach time

That time of day I don't need a tour that includes lunch.

There are two listed on RCCL.

I'm just curious if where the turtles are , are there also many colorful fish.

I understand there are no reefs there

Girls really want to see both

jiffy: The funny thing is that the turtle ecosystem (sand with turtle grass) is different from the colorful fish ecosystem (rocks or coral with lots of food for them). What about going to Coral World, where you will see turtles, colorful fishies AND seahorses, then snorkeling next door at Coki?

jiffy: The funny thing is that the turtle ecosystem (sand with turtle grass) is different from the colorful fish ecosystem (rocks or coral with lots of food for them). What about going to Coral World, where you will see turtles, colorful fishies AND seahorses, then snorkeling next door at Coki?

This is my favorite things to do in St. Thomas. Coral World is a lovely facility with nice hands-on opportunities. They have a website where you can see pictures of the lovely marine life. It sits right on Coki Beach. This gives you the opportunity to experience both places if you want. The snorkeling at Coki Beach is very good, especially for beach entry. Sadly, I have paid a ton of money for snorkeling excursions and not seen half of what I saw for free at Coki. Enjoy!

Edited by roysue

• 2 months later...

I'm in the same situation for next March. Looking at two stops - Buck Island and Water Island/Honeymoon Beach - on Virgin Breeze vs. Buck Island two-stop - over a shipwreck on a catamaran. Cost is the same. The first option is listed as 4 hours long; the second is 3.25 hours but specifies 1 1/2 hours of snorkeling. I may just flip a coin.:p