Insurance - Princess or 3rd party? Especially Trip Cancellation

Dani24

My boyfriend and I will be taking our first cruise in November. We're booked, and will be paying Tuesday, so I have the weekend to decide on insurance.

My boyfriend is a police officer, and while he has been given the time off, should something happen (like a terrorist strike -- as he works for an agency whose jurisdiction is a big terrorist target, and that is highly affected by acts of terrorism that happen elsewhere, too) we are afraid that his vacation could be cancelled and he'd have to work. The chances are probably not very high of that actually happening. But, I'd hate to say "it'll never happen to us" when it could.

So, we were trying to figure out if any travel insurance would cover us in the event that we had to cancel last minute due to his vacation being cancelled because of a seriously heightened terrorist alert, or other major disaster that affects his agency. I see some places make special exceptions for military. Do any do the same for police?

So far, it looks like the best we might be able to do would be to get the insurance offered by Princess. They offer to refund either 75% or 90% of your cruise cost if you cancel. But their policy is so much more expensive than other 3rd party places I looked at (like Travel Guard, Travelex, CSA, etc). But, I was hoping that maybe someone else knows of something I don't.

Any advice on how to handle this?

I usually go with a 3rd party insurace, but with your circumstances I'd look at Princes.. Princess Insurance allows you to cancel for any reason up to the day of the cruise and recieve credits of either 75% or 90% of your cruise fare (depending on which plan you choose). Since your boyfriend is an police officer, there is a chance you may have to cancel for a non covered reason.

I would also check out www.insuremytrip.com just to make sure. there may be another insurance company that will cover you for the types of cases you mentioned.

Dani,

Suggestions above are good. I would add only that, based on what you said, I would look at the actual policy (most are available online) to make sure the situation you described is covered. My BIL is an attorney, and he could not guarantee that a judge would not require a court date during the cruise, so he went with Princess insurance for the "any reason" clause. Make certain that any outside policy you choose covers a "return to work/vacation cancelled" problem for ANY reason.

Archived