Hi everyone I don't know if anyone would have the answer to this question.

mgb3

My 11 year old son just broke his arm and we are going on the carnival spirt on the 30th of March and he/we were wanting to know if he will still be able to

Go on the green thunder with a cast on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 11 year old son just broke his arm and we are going on the carnival spirt on the 30th of March and he/we were wanting to know if he will still be able to

Well my first question would be what type of cast?

Don't want to sound doom and gloom - but I would check with the cruise line - but be prepared for a no. It's part of their duty of care - and if it is a "plaster cast" the protective sleeves you can buy for them, aren't up too much. We had a similar incident with our grandson but a "dry land" holiday - Butlins UK (five years ago) and no...............he could not go on any of the water slides,or even any of the pools, he was allowed to "paddle" in the kids pool (15 years old) :o:eek:. Check the cruise line - better than second guessing.

Edited by dizzy1948

The cast is plaster but we were going to get a protector cast for it

Mmmmmmmmmmm.................the protector cast is not up to much - we had them. They let water in no matter how you try to seal them. Even showering. It didn't make any difference though - he was not allowed in any of the water slides or otherwise. It's also the injury they are concerned about as well. But hey, check with the line - they have the answers. I'm only giving you our personal experience of having a "plaster cast kid". On the plus side, he only had the cast on for four weeks (he did it two weeks before we flew out). The UK has a reciprocal agreement with Aus - and we had to go to the hospital in Blackpool, where they took the cast off, and gave him a support sleeve thing. (Too late for Butlins) but you could be lucky, and it could be off before you go.

Edited by dizzy1948

if they give you the green light it might be at your own risk and they wont be held responsible if something goes wrong and he hurts his arm again....is it worth the risk

I think they factor in"injury to other persons" because of the cast. We had all the spiel - but that's understandable too. Aggravation of the original injury, and possible injury to other persons, is roughly what we were told.

If anything goes wrong with his cast on have you checked if he is covered with your Travel Insurance?

I would venture to say that he would be knocked back on a claim on the grounds of a"Pre-existing Condition"

This is the first thing they look for when assessing a claim and the are ruthless

John

Not standing in judgement of the poster each to their own but as an old fashioned mum there is no way in the world I would consider allowing a child of mine to go on any waterslide with a healing broken bone..... even if it was newly out of plaster.......:eek::eek:

Things to consider.....what is the doctors opinion of this type of activity and swimming, assuming your travel insurance was purchased before the incident be a good idea to find out where you stand with them in relation to the current injury...there may be limitations....be very costly if something goes wrong, treatment is required and the insurer won't pay.... lastly you could always go to the fb page for Carnival Cruise Lines Australia and post the question there....

As someone with first aid and experience in running kids activities for sports camps etc, I would say it would be a flat out, blanket, no way are you going on the water slide with a cast on.

However, as others have said, checking with the cruise line is best.:D

I think they factor in"injury to other persons" because of the cast. We had all the spiel - but that's understandable too. Aggravation of the original injury, and possible injury to other persons, is roughly what we were told.

That's the biggy, not son hurting himself but hitting someone else with the cast, by accident.

I would be asking your doctors advise on him going on that waterslide and other activities he can do.

I'm hoping the poor kids not in pain and that there is no risk of further injury.

I would also get a doctors letter for the Cruise line and kids club. They might want to know about it prior to boarding.

call your insurance and provide them with the information. F you don't have insurance make sure you get it to cover the injury.

Ask your doctor if closer to the time is there another type of caste her Gould have? Ie the no longer plaster legs as much more Velcro based braces.

As for the green thunder if I was my kid I wouldn't let him on it. Worst if he was yo get hurt again or aggravate the current injury. Saying no could save you thousands in medical & physio costs.

as for the cruise line I'm pretty sure they will say no as well. They would be afraid something would happen and you would sue.