Tokyo Hotel

ckl001

I will be in Tokyo early next year and am looking for a good hotel to stay at after a cruise for a few days.

I have been looking and was wondering if anyone has stayed at The Conrad and what it was like and how easy for getting around.

Chez

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed in Tokyo for 5 nights in the Dai Ichi hotel. It is close to lots of bars and restaurants as well as the subway system. It is not cheap, but the rooms are huge with amazing amenities including pyjamas! The concierge staff are brilliant, give great tourist info. The hotel is within walking distance of the fish market, designer shops and the Kabuki theatre. If you can afford it I would recommend it.

We stayed at the Tokyo Hilton March, 2015. It is a very beautiful hotel and the jr. suite that I booked was huge and had an excellent bathroom with that wonderful heated seat throne!!. Our cousin who was on the 23rd floor had the most wonderful view at night -- like being in an airplane looking down a main street of Tokyo. The neighborhood around the hotel has good restaurants that are reasonable (Ola Ota was one we tried), a grocery store in the next block, and McDonald's around the corner. Our deal booked through Hilton.com gave us a suite with breakfast for under $200/night US. on a Hilton loyalty sale. Really nice service and location.

If you want a private guide with a van that is very comfortable, we used Yosuke from Discover Japan Tours. A former AFS student in Colorado he likes Americans and talks with an American accent. Easy to be with and he showed us a great time -- like hanging out with a knowledgeable friend. Tokyo was great even though it was the last 3 days of a 5 week trip and we were suffering from colds. See the Fish Market, The Imperial Palace gardens with a tea house stop, Sunday pedestrian mall and visit to department store food displays in basement ($100 tray of strawberries!) shrines and other things. Yosuke found us great food in some places I definitely would not have tried without a guide to lead me.:D

• 2 months later...

DH Dave and I are back from our fabulous 31-day Japan trip (one week in Tokyo and one week in Osaka before boarding the Volendam at Kobe for the 17-day Japan and trans-Pacific crossing to Vancouver) with countless happy memories and photos.

DH Dave and I loved the people and places of Japan--and cannot wait to return! One of the reasons we had such a marvelous time is thanks to Yosuke of Discover Japan Tours (and thanks again to Barbara--BowieMeMe, above) for suggesting a few months ago and all her tremendously helpful emails!).

On the "Things to do in Tokyo" thread in this forum, I've provided details of our customized touring with Yosuke last month.

TOKYO HOTEL RECOMMENDATION:

We stayed at the Tokyo Hilton in Shinjuku--conveniently near the Shinjuku train station (busiest in the world!) but in a quiet business district with great views and a peaceful park but without huge crowds. This elegant high-rise hotel has gracious and helpful staff members at every point: front door, front desk, restaurants (several specialty restaurants plus main restaurant), executive-level and gold lounges. We would definitely stay there on our next trip, which we hope will be in the near future. :)

Mary-Lou