Sydney Hotel Suggestions

bconley351

We have stayed at the York by Swiss-Belhotel twice. It is not as close to the OPT or Circular Quay as are hotels in The Rocks, but even so, from the York it is only an ~10 min (slightly downhill) walk to Circular Quay. Also, as compared to hotels in The Rocks, the York it is closer to "downtown" Sydney and to Darling Harbour. For us, the main attraction of the York is the fact that it provides spacious suites with full kitchens at a competitive (for Sydney) price. And as OzKiwiJJ said, there is a supermarket below Wynyard Station, about a 5 min walk from the York. We have stayed at several other places in Sydney, but are likely to go to the York again, at least when cruising from the OPT.

John

We have stayed at the York by Swiss-Belhotel twice. It is not as close to the OPT or Circular Quay as are hotels in The Rocks, but even so, from the York it is only an ~10 min (slightly downhill) walk to Circular Quay. Also, as compared to hotels in The Rocks, the York it is closer to "downtown" Sydney and to Darling Harbour. For us, the main attraction of the York is the fact that it provides spacious suites with full kitchens at a competitive (for Sydney) price. And as OzKiwiJJ said, there is a supermarket below Wynyard Station, about a 5 min walk from the York. We have stayed at several other places in Sydney, but are likely to go to the York again, at least when cruising from the OPT.

John

I am seeing more and more of these positive comments about The York.

Most of the rooms have been recently refurbished but there are still some older ones but still clean and comfy.

• 1 month later...

John

Thanks for the update on the York. I booked it 6 months ago for 2 nights prior to our Nov 2 cruise. Went looking at the prices for Mariott and Sofitel since they were on the other side of George street as I hear it will be torn up as of Oct 4. We got a better price on the York, and when checking now, the price has jumped! The other two hotels are still about $200 more than what we're paying...

I stayed at The Russell Hotel in the Rocks area for a week prior to my cruise. It is located right across from the Opera House, Ferry terminal and the cruise terminal and almost underneath the bridge. Fantastic location in in a great city to explore.

Edited by DougH

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any insight on the Amora Hotel Jamison? We want to be relatively near the sights, as we will only be in Sydney for 2 nights post cruise.

I have never stayed there but have heard its pretty good.

(I seldom stay in Stdney living just 2 hour drive away, so have to largely rely in what others who do stay tell me).