Millennium Alaska--ship questions

lovetotraveltx

First time ever on Celebrity!

On Millennium, what is a good bar(s)?

Where is a good place indoors to sit and watch the wildlife/glaciers/sun...?

What is your favorite Millennium/M Class entertainment?

What do they serve at the Mast Grill besides burgers?

Thank you!

One of our Alaska cruises was on sister Summit.

The absolute very best place to experience Alaska's glaciers, wildlife, and sunsets is an aft cabin. If that is not a possibility then use the Sunset bar behind the Lido on deck 10.

When you sail into a glacial bay, like Hubbard, the ship will sail very slowly and as far into the bay as possible. Keep in mind that there are small icebergs and other obstacles that might prevent you from getting "up close and personal" to a glacial wall, especially when it is calving. The ship will take a couple of hours to do a 180 degree turn. If you want to start the glacial viewing you can go forward. Sometimes they will open the helipad but as in all viewing sites they do get crowded. One of my favorite viewing spots is from a treadmill in the gym. The windows are angled so there is almost no glare and it's generally not too crowded. There is also a ledge along the window in front of the treadmills to sit on. It can get very windy and VERY cold on any outside viewing area even at the extremely slow speed.

Sunset viewing truly depends on the sail date. In June as spring becomes summer you will have longer days and it doesn't get dark until well after 11 pm. By September the days are shorter and sunsets are around dinner time.

If you are going to Icy Straits head to the aft as you leave the bay. The ship will once again glide slowly in the narrow channel and you should be able to see wildlife, both land and water return to the banks of the shores. It was a highlight seeing everything we missed on shore. The wake is almost nonexistent and the ship sailed silently as deer, elk, bear, whales birds...you name it, came to bid us adieu.

It's enough to make us want to return to Alaska very soon.

I haven't eaten at the Mast Bar in ages so can't help there. If you are looking for healthier food you can check out the Aqua Spa Café in the Solarium. (Don't confuse it with Aqua class cabins. It's for everyone and there is no surcharge.)

If you want soft music and a good view check out the Cosmos Lounge forward. But be forewarned this space is often used for private functions and may not be available all day every day. The Martini Bar on 5 is another choice and it's usually livelier than the Cosmos around the dinner hours.

Entertainment is an ever evolving aspect of cruising. What is showing now may not be available when you sail although some of the production shows run for about 3 years. There will be a variety and the times will also fluctuate with some shows for late seating, for example, before dinner and some after dinner. It always depends on itineraries.

I hope you have joined the Roll Call for your sailings. It such a wonderful tool, especially for excursions.

Alaska is a very special cruise venue and I hope you enjoy every moment at sea and on shore.

One of our Alaska cruises was on sister Summit.

The absolute very best place to experience Alaska's glaciers, wildlife, and sunsets is an aft cabin. If that is not a possibility then use the Sunset bar behind the Lido on deck 10.

When you sail into a glacial bay, like Hubbard, the ship will sail very slowly and as far into the bay as possible. Keep in mind that there are small icebergs and other obstacles that might prevent you from getting "up close and personal" to a glacial wall, especially when it is calving. The ship will take a couple of hours to do a 180 degree turn. If you want to start the glacial viewing you can go forward. Sometimes they will open the helipad but as in all viewing sites they do get crowded. One of my favorite viewing spots is from a treadmill in the gym. The windows are angled so there is almost no glare and it's generally not too crowded. There is also a ledge along the window in front of the treadmills to sit on. It can get very windy and VERY cold on any outside viewing area even at the extremely slow speed.

Sunset viewing truly depends on the sail date. In June as spring becomes summer you will have longer days and it doesn't get dark until well after 11 pm. By September the days are shorter and sunsets are around dinner time.

If you are going to Icy Straits head to the aft as you leave the bay. The ship will once again glide slowly in the narrow channel and you should be able to see wildlife, both land and water return to the banks of the shores. It was a highlight seeing everything we missed on shore. The wake is almost nonexistent and the ship sailed silently as deer, elk, bear, whales birds...you name it, came to bid us adieu.

It's enough to make us want to return to Alaska very soon.

I haven't eaten at the Mast Bar in ages so can't help there. If you are looking for healthier food you can check out the Aqua Spa Café in the Solarium. (Don't confuse it with Aqua class cabins. It's for everyone and there is no surcharge.)

If you want soft music and a good view check out the Cosmos Lounge forward. But be forewarned this space is often used for private functions and may not be available all day every day. The Martini Bar on 5 is another choice and it's usually livelier than the Cosmos around the dinner hours.

Entertainment is an ever evolving aspect of cruising. What is showing now may not be available when you sail although some of the production shows run for about 3 years. There will be a variety and the times will also fluctuate with some shows for late seating, for example, before dinner and some after dinner. It always depends on itineraries.

I hope you have joined the Roll Call for your sailings. It such a wonderful tool, especially for excursions.

Alaska is a very special cruise venue and I hope you enjoy every moment at sea and on shore.

Thank you for your great tips. We are far aft but not in a true aft cabin.

Will stop in the sunset and martini bars.

Glad you loved Alaska?

Thank you for your great tips. We are far aft but not in a true aft cabin.

Will stop in the sunset and martini bars.

Glad you loved Alaska?

Alaska is wonderful! Our first cruise went there and views were beautiful from everywhere. There was discussion about which side of the ship to be on but both sides had great views. You are fortunate to be going to Icy Strait Point. Beautiful! DH LOVED the zipline from mountaintop to sea level and still talks about it. Scenery is comparable to anywhere in the world.

Have a great trip!

We did B to B on this ship. best vacation of our lives. All the bars a great. Southbound we had a inside cabin so we watched glacier from the deck of the adult pool. Solarium? Northbound we had Aft family so we we watched from there. Favorite bar was martini bar. Met our family every night before dinner for drinks and had the most awesome waiter. Great memories.

We did B to B on this ship. best vacation of our lives. All the bars a great. Southbound we had a inside cabin so we watched glacier from the deck of the adult pool. Solarium? Northbound we had Aft family so we we watched from there. Favorite bar was martini bar. Met our family every night before dinner for drinks and had the most awesome waiter. Great memories.

Great to hear :) Thank you!

I would suggest going on to the helipad for glacier viewing day. Yes, it'll be windy and therefore quite chilly, but it's worth it! I was up there this past August and wore two hoodies, a toque, and mittens and was fine (but, I am from Winnipeg where winter is almost six months long and -30 Celsius is normal for at least three months of the year). However, the views are spectacular and worth the discomfort. I would suggest getting up there as soon as you can to get a spot by the railing but if it's already filling up, don't worry because the crowd thins dramatically the longer you are there. We started with a couple hundred people and after an hour there were only 50 or so and everyone had a stellar view.

If the helipad isn't an option or it's too cold, my mom was on the promenade deck (deck 4 I think) and had the whole thing to herself. We stayed there for a few minutes after coming down from the helipad and she also had great sight lines, including all the chunks in the water as she was mere feet from them. Two different experiences, but both equally awe-inspiring. Whatever you do, get outside. It's an amazing opportunity to see a glacier that close.

As for where to watch the world go by, we hung out on the promenade deck all the time. We had window rooms and did not regret it at all as we just parked ourselves on deck and had a fabulous time. The view is the same whether you're on a balcony or not.

Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is an absolutely captivating place. And takeouts of warm others so that you can be outside and as close to the action as possible!

I have not sailed on a M-class ship in several years, though Millie was my first. I cannot recall the difference in storage spaces on AQ cabins (we have aft veranda).

*Is the closet size on M-class similar to S-Class?

*Does the slanted built in storage (M-class) make up for the over the bed cabinets on S-class?

*Is there more drawer space on M-Class?

*Is there more storage space near the desk?

*I can SEE there is more storage space in bedside tables...so that helps!

Appreciate in advance any insight you can give me!

I have not sailed on a M-class ship in several years, though Millie was my first. I cannot recall the difference in storage spaces on AQ cabins (we have aft veranda).

*Is the closet size on M-class similar to S-Class?

*Does the slanted built in storage (M-class) make up for the over the bed cabinets on S-class?

*Is there more drawer space on M-Class?

*Is there more storage space near the desk?

*I can SEE there is more storage space in bedside tables...so that helps!

Appreciate in advance any insight you can give me!

I just got off a sailing in an AQ on Deck 11 - we loved it (not the rear facing, but in the aft of deck 11).

The closet is bigger on M class and there is definitely more drawer space. I think the slanted storage coupled with the drawer space more than makes up for the over the bed cabinets, and is much more accessible and usable. I think the storage next to the desk is a bit bigger on M class but I am not 100% positive. And yes, there is actually a drawer in an M class bedside table - what a concept:).

I just got off a sailing in an AQ on Deck 11 - we loved it (not the rear facing, but in the aft of deck 11).

The closet is bigger on M class and there is definitely more drawer space. I think the slanted storage coupled with the drawer space more than makes up for the over the bed cabinets, and is much more accessible and usable. I think the storage next to the desk is a bit bigger on M class but I am not 100% positive. And yes, there is actually a drawer in an M class bedside table - what a concept:).

I prefer more hanging space if I have to choose (which I obviously do not get to do!)

I appreciate the info as it helps me to organize my packing...with more items hanging in dry cleaner bags on hangers. I just store those bulky wooden hangers that are in the closet (on arrival) in my empty suitcases before sliding under the bed.