Dawn Mini Review March 1 - 8 2015

zqvol

We were on the March 1st-March 8th sailing on the Dawn. Here are a few observations.

EMBARKATION

Embarkation was easy in New Orleans, but then it is in most ports. I did like the fact that the people at check in told anyone who asked to put their documents away that they would not need them again until next Sunday at disembarkation.

THE SHIP

This was our third trip on the Dawn. The ship is in excellent condition. Sure you can look hard and find scratches, and rust spots, or minor blemishes in the carpet, but overall the ship is just like it came out of the yard.

FOOD

We had the UDP. We ate at Cagney’s twice, Moderno twice, Le Bistro, La Cucina, and Teppanyaki.

The food at all with the exception of La Cucina was really nice, though at Le Bistro I had to send a steak back because it was over cooked. The food at La Cucina was almost inedible because it was over salted. With the UDP each person in the party had to present their card each night, and each person was provided a bill for signature. I was pleased to note that all of the bills at the bottom had a statement that said the cover charge included an 18% gratuity, which was more than sufficient because none of the service was exceptional, though it was all acceptable. The biggest problem in the restaurants was that the patrons did not know how to behave. Both nights in Cagney’s people at table close to us picked their steaks up in their hands and gnawed on the bones. We did not order anything that had a normal upcharge so I can’t comment on whether that would have been added with the UDP or not.

The food in the Garden café was at best passable. Most of it always had one temperature – lukewarm – it was never hot nor was it cold. It also seemed that lines were always closed.

ENTERTAINMENT

We did not go to any of the shows. The entertainment that we saw was the bands and singers around the ship, and they can best be described as not ever going to be ready to cut a record, really poor compared to what I have come to expect on an NCL cruise. The cruise director was simply annoying. Not sure what he did other than read the Daily’s out loud. That is one place for NCL to save money by getting rid of them.

BAR

There are new scaled down bar menus, and the stocks in the bar look like they have been trimmed substantially. The variety that I noted in the past is not there any longer. I drink my liquor neat or on the rocks, and they had what I wanted so I didn’t pay too much attention to the fruity drinks.

CABIN

We were in a typical ocean view cabin. It was cold when we left New Orleans so the bulk of the ship was stuff from the heaters, but the cabin was cold. A couple of minor temperature adjustments and it was fine until we sailed home Saturday afternoon. As it started getting colder outside we had to warm the cabin up, but it’s still winter and that is to be expected.

The beds are the typical cruise ship beds, a bit narrower than singles, but the mattresses were pillow tops and slept just fine. The bedding was typical, but more than sufficient.

Cabin steward – I never met the cabin steward, by my daughter who traveled with me said that he came by the first day to make sure we had our luggage and that everything was satisfactory. I was disappointed in the service he provided. He typically made the cabin up well after lunch when we wanted to nap, and was always keeping us out after dinner as he did not complete turn down service until almost 9:00 every night. I don’t even have a clue about his name.

SPA

I used the spa daily. The spa package is well worth the $129 for the week. The almost private pools, the relaxation area and the facilities in the locker rooms make this a worth wile expenditure. I did however choose to get massages ashore. Why should I pay $185 for a 50 minute massage when I can get an hour for $30 ashore? I’m not so particular that it matters to me, so I got massages on the beach.

DISEMBARKATION

Since we had a 4:30 flight Sunday afternoon out of New Orleans we took an NCL tour of the city. The best thing about this was the ease of disembarkation. We had special color tags, and were taken off the ship after the walk offs but before anyone else including the suites. Clearing customs was easy, the bags were loaded on the bus, and eventually we were deposited at the airport.

EXCURSIONS

Two of us traveled on this trip and often I will book private excursions, but this time I used NCL excursions for a couple of reasons.

On Roatan we wanted to go to Tabayana beach which is a ship only venue. Yes, we could have grabbed a cab and gone to West Bay and been the same place, but the cost difference for two people is so miniscule that it was not worth the headache. The snorkeling on this end of the island is the best in the Western Caribbean, and it lived up to its reputation this week.

At Belize, we feel like the only real option is to snorkel, and the ship tours provide that opportunity without getting drug into town and then back out to the reef. As usual the snorkeling here is at best so so. The reef is not in good shape, and every time I have been here visibility has been poor.

Cozumel was a throw away stop where we snorkeled and then I walked almost to the airport and back. Costa Maya is nothing but a quaint little strip of sand lined by dive bars. They are all the same, and they are all different. This wasn’t an excursion stop, but a grab the transfer over for $3 and sit on the beach was worth the time.

Welcome home, glad you had a nice trip!

Can you please elaborate on the paired down bar menu? Was it the same in every bar? Did the pool bar have frozen concoctions? Was there a variety of cocktails on the menu?

Much appreciated!!

We were on the same cruise and had a great week. Like the OP, we have been on the same ship several times. I saw the new drink menu but we were still able to order frozen drinks like Mudslides and BBCs. I didn't look for the drink menu at all the bars so perhaps the pool bar still showed all the frozen drinks we enjoy on vacation.

We ate 3 times at specialty restaurants: Cagneys, Le Bistro and Bamboo. Food was great at all of them. The other nights we went to one of the MDRs. We often went to the Blue Lagoon for breakfast or a quick lunch. The breakfast omelets, etc, were served promptly. I will miss the Blue Lagoon if they refurbish and change it to O'Sheehans. Love their Tomato Soup and Panini sandwich. Enjoyed the new menus in the MDRs, but service is just a little slower sometimes but not really a problem. The majority of there staff were so hard-working and seemed genuinely happy to recognize you if you had been in before. If they couldn't seat you immediately they gave you a voucher for sparkling wine at the bar or bartender would get you a soda if you chose. I was happy to see my favorite dessert- Souffle's! was on the menu in the MDR on two different nights- Coconut and Apple versions :)

Welcome home, glad you had a nice trip!

Can you please elaborate on the paired down bar menu? Was it the same in every bar? Did the pool bar have frozen concoctions? Was there a variety of cocktails on the menu?

Much appreciated!!

There are numerous threads about the bar menu that was rolled out 2 weeks ago. There is a thread with an image of it. That was the same menu that I saw in all the bars, though I only drank in the atrium, and at Gatsby's.

I was never at the outdoor pool so I didn't pay any attention to the frozen drinks. What I noticed was that some of the unusual spirits that are the third or fourth ingredient to some weird drinks were missing. The frozen drinks are usually made from one alcohol and a pre prepared mix that comes in half gallon containers. I really don't expect any change in those things.

There are numerous threads about the bar menu that was rolled out 2 weeks ago. There is a thread with an image of it. That was the same menu that I saw in all the bars, though I only drank in the atrium, and at Gatsby's.

I was never at the outdoor pool so I didn't pay any attention to the frozen drinks. What I noticed was that some of the unusual spirits that are the third or fourth ingredient to some weird drinks were missing. The frozen drinks are usually made from one alcohol and a pre prepared mix that comes in half gallon containers. I really don't expect any change in those things.

Yup. Saw those menus and was wondering if it was the same one. Figured you were on vacation and didn't see those threads! Thanks!