ephesus- whole day or 1/2 day

Hi - we are cruising in August. We want to book a private tour for our family of 4. Kids are 12 and 14. Would you recommend a half day or full day tour? I want to make sure we have enough time to see everything without going overboard. Thanks

We are a groups of ten and will be doing a full day private tour to Ephesus, including Terrace houses, Virgin Mary's House, St. John's Basillica, and wherever else we can fit in during the seven hour excursion.

With kids you will probably find that a half day tour will be about right. Most full day tour will add things like lunch (which you can easily do on your own in town or back on the ship) and 1 or 2 shopping stops (at faux jewelry factories, rug factories, etc). The shopping area in Kusadasi is right across the street from the cruise port and has a pedestrian street, plenty of eating venues, lots of shops, etc.

As to the ruins we think that Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses) should be the priority. The Virgin Mary House is popular, but we do have an issue getting excited about a site that has been built for tourists (there is no real proof that Mary actually lived at this location). There are a few other ruins in the area that can be added (as quick stops) to any tour. But there is only so much of that stuff that kids can handle before they get totally bored.

Hank

I agree with Hank……. except to add that MAYBE (if its open - has been undergoing renovations) that they may enjoy a quick stop (it is small) at the museum in Selkuk that has all the neat stuff that they have found from Ephesus ruins.

I think that seeing the stuff that came from there makes the ruins seem more real as you can more easily visualize how they lived etc…..

It is a small museum so wouldn't take much time. They might enjoy that more than shopping - just a thought

The half day tour includes lunch...I believe we are only in Ephesus about 2 hours. Is that long enough?

Even though my 12th & 14th birthdays were some time back, two hours at Ephesus would suit me fine.:rolleyes:

But then I'm not into ancient ruins.

Each to their own, & we can't really decide for you.

JB :)

ps Sorry, Cruisemom :D

The half day tour includes lunch...I believe we are only in Ephesus about 2 hours. Is that long enough?

If your kids are somewhat interested in historic ruins (or you desire to urge the kids to be interested by making them experience the ruins), then you should pick a tour that include the optional Terrace Houses inside the Ephesus location. And 2 hours is not enough time if you include the Terrace Houses. If your kids are not really going to appreciate what they are seeing, then 2 hours (and skipping the Terrace Houses) is probably fine. If your group appreciates ruins, you really should include the Terrace Houses and look to expand the overall Ephesus site tour closer to the 1/2 day point.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I would recommend what I did. I did a half day including the Terrace Houses (well worth the @12E extra pp) and stated up front no sales presentations (rugs or whatever). I then ate at a restaurant (not included) back at the port area. Had a great day! :D

You make a good point. When it's a private tour, you can ask them to tailor the itinerary to what YOU want to do. I know I personally wouldn't want to pay for a half day tour and spend a significant chunk of that time at lunch (which usually means "at a rug factory").

We did Ephesus in 2013 with DD and family including two children. We used Ephesus Deluxe and were very pleased. We did a half day tour and it was perfect, plenty long! We did Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (these are must do!). First of all it is going to be HOT, as in very hot. There is very little shade in the ruins area, be sure to stop on the way in and buy bottled water. At the end of the tour there are little shops selling wonderful slushy drinks! After the tour we told them no stops for the rug factory, and they dropped us off back by the ship, which is where the shops are. Two of the party went back on the ship for lunch and pool time and the rest of us shopped.

HIGHLY recommend a private tour at this port! Much better deal, small group in your own private van and excellent guides.

sunsetbeachgal - we are thinking of booking Ephesus Deluxe. How much time did you spend in each place? Tour I'm looking at is 5.5 hours...its Ephesus, terrace house, museum and Artemis. Doesn't say anything about rugs or lunch so I'm assuming we don't stop for these?

Another tour I was looking at was 4 hours total. It was only Ephesus and terrace house and included lunch /rug factory. I sent an email and they said it was 2 hours at Ephesus. Not sure if that is enough

'

Thanks for any opinions or advice on itinerary

I will be a bit politically incorrect and say that type of tour is just silly and a waste. With a tour you are paying for transportation and a professional guide. There is no reason to pay a tour to take you to lunch when there are numerous eating venues in Kusadasi within easy walking distance of the ship. The reason tours include lunch is because they get a big kick-back from the restaurants (the same as when they take you shopping). So my recommendation is take a 4-5 hour half day tour to see ruins/sites and then eat your lunch in town (or on the ship) before or after your tour.

If you do book a private tour you have the power to set the itinerary. Simply e-mail the tour provider and tell them what you want and do not want (i.e. shopping, food stops, etc). If Ephesus Deluxe will not accommodate you just go to EKOL (the company we personally recommend).

Hank

Agree with Hank.

We did Ephesus (hint: try to get off the ship ASAP and get a jump on the fleet of ships tour buses before the ruins get overwhelmed...your tour guide will be waiting for you with a sign) and the Terrace Houses, that was it. You can do lunch back in town or the ships are docked right there so you can get back on the ship, have lunch, freshen up a bit and then go back out to walk around and shop. It is a very easy stop for doing that and with a half day tour you should have plenty of time. Unless you have an interest in buying a rug, tell them you want to skip the rug factory tour and to drop you off by the entrance to the ship. The rug factory tour was mildly interesting once, but it takes up your valuable time and is high pressure to buy.

Oh, the photo by my screen name was taken at Ephesus! Have been there three or four times and it is always one of the highlights of the trip!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal