Carnival's Vacation Protection

Avril

Just booked a cruise for April 2016 with my BF on the Fantasy. :D We didn't buy the Vacation Protection through Carnival (or anyone else so far). Just wondering, is it worth it to buy it through Carnival (or anyone else) or are we better off not to? I've never bought it before for any of my cruises (and never needed it thank God) but just wondering if I should. We're both in our 30s and very healthy but who know's in a year right?

Did you do the early saver or past guest? If you book under past guest you can cancel without penalty up to a certain point but with early saver you can't. I too never book the vacation protection. A lot of the insurance companies have so many stipulations that what happens to you to make you cancel might not be covered anyway. I guess those are my feelings on buying insurance.

I personally always buy travel insurance. Did you see the post from today from a lady whose husband had a heart attack on a cruise and thankfully she did have travel insurance. It's not for the cost of the cruise - it's for the medical and the 10k it can cost to take out off the ship. For me it's peace of mind. A hospital in another country can be very costly.

We always buy insurance through Carnival when we book and have had to cancel 2 cruises. We received a complete refund with no problems for both. My mother became ill and passed away right after we made the final payment on one cruise and a year later our house was damaged from a storm 2 days before sailing. The insurance company worked with my PVP to get the necessary cruise information and I submitted the required paperwork. The refunds were processed very quickly with no issues. I will not cruise without insurance.

You will get better and more coverage purchasing it privately, I always use Traveller Insured International, they always been accommodating and great customer service. They have different plans but you can choose a basic plan and you can add on additional medical insurance if you want more medical coverage.

I recently learned if you purchase the cruise insurance through a cruise line, your medical will be a lot less as well as probably the medical evacuation, also I learned, cruise lines also won't give you cash they are known to give you "vouchers" to use towards another cruise, you want the cash.

Did you do the early saver or past guest? If you book under past guest you can cancel without penalty up to a certain point but with early saver you can't. I too never book the vacation protection. A lot of the insurance companies have so many stipulations that what happens to you to make you cancel might not be covered anyway. I guess those are my feelings on buying insurance.

I booked past guest because I'm Platinum which leads to another question. Will we be able to board together as I've cruised before and he hasn't? I know I'll be in the Platinum lounge but he won't be. He's a first time cruiser wether with Carnival or not. That's why I picked a small ship, thought it'd be better for a newbie. I hope I'm right there!!

I personally always buy travel insurance. Did you see the post from today from a lady whose husband had a heart attack on a cruise and thankfully she did have travel insurance. It's not for the cost of the cruise - it's for the medical and the 10k it can cost to take out off the ship. For me it's peace of mind. A hospital in another country can be very costly.

OMG, no, I didn't read about that!! :eek: Is her husband ok (or will he be)? My thoughts are with them both!!

Maybe I should add this. I've always been able to get it and benefit form it (meaning travel insurance) through my Mom's work. I have taken a couple of cruises without her and never thought twice about it. Now for some strange reason that even I don't understand, I'm thinking about it. Maybe because we've only paid our deposit (to lock in our price in case it goes up) and haven't 100% decided wether we want to go or not.

Anyone want to influence that decision, lol? Anyone been on the Fantasy and know wether she's a good ship for 1st timers?

Maybe I should add this. I've always been able to get it and benefit form it (meaning travel insurance) through my Mom's work. I have taken a couple of cruises without her and never thought twice about it. Now for some strange reason that even I don't understand, I'm thinking about it. Maybe because we've only paid our deposit (to lock in our price in case it goes up) and haven't 100% decided wether we want to go or not.

Anyone want to influence that decision, lol? Anyone been on the Fantasy and know wether she's a good ship for 1st timers?

First, you're from Canada, so that does make a difference regarding different laws and health insurance requirements in regards to those of us from the US.

What is your concern and why do you want to consider insurance?

Is it the money you have paid and will pay vs. what you will lose if you have to cancel?

Is it because of potential lost luggage?

Are you concerned about missing flight connections?

Is it possible that someone might change jobs or lose a job?.

Is it fear of a medical crisis during the trip?

What is/are your biggest concerns?

Just an FYI (I didn't know this when I first started travelling) Travel insurance does not pay up front. You pay out of your own pocket, then when you get home, you file for reimbursement.

Example: Enjoying a few cocktails on the warm sunny beach. Walking to the bar for another, I trip and fall, hit my head. Ambulance takes me to the hospital, just a bump, they release me AFTER I pay for all services with cash or credit card. I say, No, I have insurance. They say No Hable English.

You MUST pay up front, then file for reimbursement when you get home.

This is true for medical emergencies on the ship, missed flights, lost luggage, etc.