Non-custodial parent taking child on cruise

mcarney

Hi,

My boyfriend wants to take his kids (18 and 6) on a cruise for summer vacation .. (My dad and I will be in a separate room). We've been advised to get a parental consent form from his ex, but not sure if she would be willing to sign a consent form ... (they just got divorced in July and this will be his first time having the kids for summer vacation). In their divorce papers, nothing is said about traveling whether it be out of state or out of the country ... Only that the parent must have a phone number to be able to reach the children. The mother has custody and father gets 2 weeks of summer vacation with him picking the weeks this year. Can the mother deny the 6 year old traveling? I've read on some websites that if it went to a judge that the judge wouldn't deny just because she didn't want him going ... Only if there was just cause (abduction threat or something like that ... Which both parents know that isn't thinkable).

We were wanting to take advantage of the $50/pp deposit that ends thursday, so he's going to try and approach as carefully as possible tomorrow when he picks up the 6 year old for a visit.

Any advise and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I guess the ex could stop it by refusing to sign the consent form. I know of no way around having that letter from the other parent allowing them to travel. The cruise lines want to cover their butts.

I don't know the details of the special rate you are booking. Can it be cancelled with full refund prior to final payment? Or is it Early Saver?

Yes, it would be early saver ... There's a promotion on now for select sailings ... $49.95/pp deposit.

I asked my pvp and she said that carnival doesn't have a policy and doesn't require a letter of consent, but it would be a good thing to have.

I have cruised with my kids when they were younger (on HAL and NCL) and was never asked for a letter and they had different last names too ... Just was wondering if anyone had experienced this before.

Yes, it would be early saver ... There's a promotion on now for select sailings ... $49.95/pp deposit.

I asked my pvp and she said that carnival doesn't have a policy and doesn't require a letter of consent, but it would be a good thing to have.

I have cruised with my kids when they were younger (on HAL and NCL) and was never asked for a letter and they had different last names too ... Just was wondering if anyone had experienced this before.

there have been cases posted here on CC that has said they asked for the letter

I've never been asked for a letter (and my girls' last name is different than mine), but it's not to say they wouldn't ask you.

If you get passports, the mom will have to go with you to sign off, FYI.

The way I approached my ex was I explained I was taking the girls on vacation on a cruise. We will be in a foreign country and countries handle child custody differently. It would be better for the girls to have a consent letter saying I could make medical decisions on his behalf while out of the country so he wouldn't have to fly to the country we were in if something happened.

I don't know about your BF's ex, but if mine thought he was allowed to grant "permission", he would say no. I didn't ask permission. I didn't need it. Neither does he, for that matter. But if you approach it as a medical release, she might be more willing to agree and sign.

"Hey, Suzie. I booked the kids and me on a cruise for this summer going to the Bahamas. I was informed it would be better if I got a letter from you so there's no problems if something, God forbid, happened in one of the ports. I have attached it in this email. You just need it get it notarized. I'm sending it now so you have a few months to get it notarized. Thanks so much! I'll send you the details of the cruise as soon as they're finalized so you know where we'll be and when."

Your PVP should have been aware that Carnival does have it in their FAQs (maybe not as a matter of "policy" but definitely worth noting):

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Another poster in a different thread linked a very nice form that they use for travel with a minor: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45850371&postcount=13

Your PVP should have been aware that Carnival does have it in their FAQs (maybe not as a matter of "policy" but definitely worth noting):

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Another poster in a different thread linked a very nice form that they use for travel with a minor: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45850371&postcount=13

As long as someone is doing a closed loop cruise that begins and ends in the United States or its territories (same embark and debark port) no consent letter is necessary. (and "debark" means that the cruise ends in Mexico while starting in the US, not that Mexico is a port of call)...lots of people get confused by this.

The cruiseline has no idea about anyone's custody rights. As long as the children have ID w/ birth certificates or passports the Dad is good to go.

That's what my pvp said, recommended ... Thank you :)

As long as someone is doing a closed loop cruise that begins and ends in the United States or its territories (same embark and debark port) no consent letter is necessary. (and "debark" means that the cruise ends in Mexico while starting in the US, not that Mexico is a port of call)...lots of people get confused by this.

The cruiseline has no idea about anyone's custody rights. As long as the children have ID w/ birth certificates or passports the Dad is good to go.

Thank you! Yep, we are just doing the bahamas - closed loop :)

No passport for either child, but will have birth certificates. Boyfriend going to present the letter for signature tonight ... told him to get her to sign 3 ... say one for her, one for him and one for carnival ... then ask her to get one notarized, but if it doesn't happen ... ok, at least he'll have extras in case she doesn't return it notarized. Have 2 cabins on hold and want to book tomorrow, but don't want to lose the deposit if she refuses.

Thank you