May 4th train from Southampton to Bath Spa

Hi

I know that May 4th is a holiday. Do I need to book a train from Southampton to Bath Spa or can I just go up to counter and get ticket?

Also can I walk from cruise terminal to train station?

Thanks Karen

OP here.

Or would another mode of transportation be better given the holiday? Thanks Karen

You can just buy on the day, Karen.:)

Main difference is that on Bank Holidays trains normally run a "sunday" timetable. So the first direct train of the day is likely to be at 9.55am.

Yes, there are better options.

Private transfer by sedan.

Helicopter.

A chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce Corniche with leather & lambswool interior.

The Queen's Pullman rail carriage.

A gilded coach drawn by six white stallions.

But even a sedan is likely to cost a great deal more than the train.;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Main difference is that on Bank Holidays trains normally run a "sunday" timetable. So the first direct train of the day is likely to be at 9.55am.
I think that the timetable should already be online for Star Wars day this year, so it should be easy for the OP to check.

You can just buy on the day, Karen.:)

Yes, there are better options.

Private transfer by sedan.

Helicopter.

A chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce Corniche with leather & lambswool interior.

The Queen's Pullman rail carriage.

A gilded coach drawn by six white stallions.

But even a sedan is likely to cost a great deal more than the train.;)

Thanks for the reassurance! On my c/c roll call a few England residents said they were driving down to Southampton instead of the train because of the holiday playing "havoc" with the trains.

I have seen the schedule and there seems to be plenty of trains going to Bath Spa so if its no issue I would like to just arrive at the station after disembarkation to get a train. Can I walk from the cruise terminal to the train station or do I need a taxi ( we will have a carry on and rolling suitcase each)?

Thanks again, Karen

I think you will need a taxi to the station. It's the best part of a mile - bit of a trek with luggage.

Monday 4th is a Bank Holiday, but that doesn't mean much to a tourist. The banks (of course) will be shut, as will all government offices, but any private business connected with tourism will certainly be open for business. Public transport falls somewhere between, so as JB says, they will run the reduced service normal for Sundays. They may also schedule maintenance for the holiday weekend on the grounds that they care more for their regular commuters than the occasional holidaymaker. You can check for this online nearer the day.

This is RCI?

Uses City cruise terminal.

3/4 of a mile, about 15 - 20 min walk.

Or a £5 to £7 taxi fare.

Weather & time available on the day might affect your choice.

As Bob's post, planned engineering works are usually scheduled on sundays & particularly long weekends. Either trains are re-routed round those works or there's a "rail replacement" bus service to bridge the affected part of the line. Can make the journey longer.

But this line is scheduled for major upgrade works the other side of Salisbury, where it's closed for 6 weeks late July thru August. So hopefully there'll be no interruptions before then.

Be aware that the train to/from Bath is very busy at weekends (was there last weekend) so if you're able to book in advance (and reserve a seat) then all the better. If not, you'll probably find that all the seats are reserved, but many are not taken but check on the reservation card as some are reserved for only part of the journey. On some weekends when I've travelled to/from Bath, it's been standing room only - not pleasant!

Be aware that the train to/from Bath is very busy at weekends (was there last weekend) so if you're able to book in advance (and reserve a seat) then all the better. If not, you'll probably find that all the seats are reserved, but many are not taken but check on the reservation card as some are reserved for only part of the journey. On some weekends when I've travelled to/from Bath, it's been standing room only - not pleasant!

Since we are arriving to Southampton by cruise ship I am a little wary of pre-booking . If we are delayed by fog etc. I would be stuck with a train ticket. Or what time would you book train for?

Thanks, Karen

Here is the route..decide if you want to walk it or not!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=50.903276,-1.414189&sspn=0.01613,0.037723&geocode=Fd6uCAMdMWrq_w%3BFfXHCAMdlW3q_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=15&z=15

Its all on the flat and should take about 10 mins.

I've just checked the National Rail site http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

and at the moment there are no planned engineering works.

Trains about every hour. 0910 train is £15.90, 1042 train is £7.90.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SOU/BTH/040515/0830/dep

Simon

Edited by sddsddean