Brunei: Taking Princess bus into town?

drblue

Hello fellow cruisers.

We are gong to Asia on the Sapphire Princess in December 2015. It will make a stop in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. Many of the excursions seem rather expensive and do not spend enough time in any interesting areas.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone taken the Princess bus from the port into downtown Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei?

2. If so, what is there to see nearby (Mosques, Palaces, River Tours)?

3. Did you hear comments from other travelers on this Do-It-Yourself approach to visiting Brunei?

I will certainly appreciate all the information you can provide

Javier

Hello fellow cruisers.

We are gong to Asia on the Sapphire Princess in December 2015. It will make a stop in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. Many of the excursions seem rather expensive and do not spend enough time in any interesting areas.

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone taken the Princess bus from the port into downtown Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei?

3. Did you hear comments from other travelers on this Do-It-Yourself approach to visiting Brunei?

Javier

Try posting this on the roll call for your cruise and the ports board. ;)

Hello fellow cruisers.

QUESTIONS:

Javier

We were on a different cruise line a couple of years ago and we just caught the ships bus into town. We walked around for a few hours. Quite a lot of see - even really interesting going into the supermarket to have a look at their goods. :) The main mosque is magnificent. You are not allowed to go in when they are praying though. Its easy to get around - its flat so an easy walk but its also very humid and hot. Make sure you take water. Remember its a muslin country so you must cover your shoulders and knees. No tank tops allowed anywhere. Mummsie

We had a stop here on a Princess cruise in Oct. 2013, and did what you are wondering about. Some hints-

-take the Princess bus into Begawan. it is also possible to catch a local bus into town from the port but not recommended. You need to walk a fair distance to the bus stop and the schedule is not very convenient.

-DO NOT plan on taking a taxi into, or return from Begawan. Because car ownership is very high (very cheap gasoline), there are only something like

+/-40 taxis in entire country!

-Princess bus will drop you in center of city, at a shopping mall.

Within easy walking distance

- a very large, beautiful mosque.

-The world's largest water village, 30,000 inhabitants, 10% of the countries population. Many private water taxis available to take a 30 to 40 min. tour. quite reasonably priced. About $30-$40.

-A local market.

-The national museum.

-Also the central bus station is nearby, 2 blocks, and Bus routes 01A and 01C basically make a loop around the city. Same routes, each just travel in opposite directions, making local stops, about 1 hour round trip. Relaxing way to ride and view city life and surroundings. Easy to use, go to bus station, bus route locations marked on poles inside. Get on either of the two route buses. Once underway an attendant will collect fare of $1.00 local currency, but Singapore dollars are also accepted (1S$=0.72US$).At the far end of the route, you need to pay again the $1.00, before bus returns to central station.

-Doing all this is quite easy in the time allotted by the Princess schedule.

-Before reboarding Princess bus back at end of day you may want to try the food court in the mall at pickup point. Third floor I think, not fancy but very good, inexpensive local food stalls.

-As mentioned quite hot and humid, and you can't get a beer!!

Just off Sapphire cruise to Asia - fabulous!

Very detailed response from the last poster :D

...which I can attest to all being still the case ( though I can't comment on the local bus as I didn't do that )

:)

Very, very hot and humid but an interesting port of call

Extremely gracious people - who all seem to speak great English

The nearby mosque is very beautiful and I was able to visit inside, and spoke to a charming Iman :)

The supermarket is fascinating to walk around - all sorts of interesting things in there!

...oh and had the most delicious passion fruit smoothie I have ever tasted from a stall in the mall :D

Not much in the way of shopping to be honest - the mall is quite small and a bit dated - but there are a few souvenir type shops

Enjoy your trip :D

Hello dear cruisers,

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I am now more convinced that I will take the Princess bus into town. It seems that everyone agrees that it is hot and humid; so, water will be a necessity.

Thank you,

JAVIER