Seattle Hotel-Renaissance ??

irishgal432

We are tentatively booked at the

Renaissance Seattle Hotel

515 Madison Street Seattle, WA 98104.

WE are planning on taking the light rail from the airport. It looks about 6 blocks from the light rail. I am not familiar with Seattle, is that a pretty easy walk. Also we were trying to go to the

Space Needle after checking in. Is that close?

Our other options are the W and the Westin. Which do you think would be closer to attractions in Downtown, Pikes Market etc

Edited by irishgal432

The Renaissance is at the top of one of the steepest hills in Seattle; there used to be a cable car stop at the corner where the hotel is now. (Seattle's hills can be as steep as San Francisco's, and we also used to have cable cars.) Across the street from the Renaissance is the I-5 freeway. There are relatively few restaurants around; anywhere is pretty much a hike. The walk from the nearest light rail station would be very taxing, especially with luggage.

Of the W and Westin, the Westin is better located, around a block from the Westlake light rail station, half a block from the Seattle Center monorail, four blocks from the Pike Place market.

Thank you for your comments. We arrive at 1 on Thursday before the cruise and plan on doing the Space Needle that afternoon and then Pike Place on Friday morning before the cruise. So it sounds like the Westin is a better option to leave our bags and will be close enough to retrieve them before heading to the pier.

We are at Pier 91, so would you suggest a Taxi?

I stayed at the Renaissance when I cruised from Seattle. The walk from the light rail is doable, but I wouldn't do it with luggage. I would suggest taking a taxi or shuttle from the airport.

As previously said, it is on top of a steep hill. I found it better to walk down a hill a few streets down, was easier versus the hill the hotel was on.

I see you are from GA, so you will have the 3 hour time difference to worry about. We had originally planned to do the Needle when we got back to Seattle post cruise, since we were flying out the next day. Since we were up so early due to the time difference, we ended up going first thing in the morning before heading to the ship. We took a taxi to the Needle. We were there roughly just after it opened. No lines. We then walked through the Chihuly museum next door. Definitely worth it. Afterwards, we took the monorail back to the mall (same area as the light rail station) and walked back to the hotel. Again, not sure I would want to do that walk with luggage. We then took a taxi to the pier. I think the cost was $20.

We went to the market the day we got there, after checking in to the hotel. We found a nice restaurant to have dinner at nearby. Don't miss the cinnamon rolls at the market bakery.

We were glad we ended up doing what we did when we did it. When we got back post cruise, we were so tired that we ended up doing nothing that day. We had planned to go back into Seattle and go to the aquarium, but just didn't have any oomph.

Just putting this out there for you to consider. Don't want you to change your plans, just provide another option. Also, don't forget that you will be up much earlier the next morning due to the time difference. It was a on a lark that we decided to just head to the Needle, only since we were up.

Thank you for your comments. We arrive at 1 on Thursday before the cruise and plan on doing the Space Needle that afternoon and then Pike Place on Friday morning before the cruise. So it sounds like the Westin is a better option to leave our bags and will be close enough to retrieve them before heading to the pier.

We are at Pier 91, so would you suggest a Taxi?

I think the Westin is your best option; however also check out the Mayflower Park Hotel which is even closer to the monorail and light rail than the Westin, and might be cheaper. IMO nicer, too.

I would stick with your plan and visit the Space Needle that afternoon/evening, then visit the market as early as possible the next morning - let the time change work in your favor as 1025cruise suggests. The market becomes hideously crowded by 10:30 or so during the cruise season, so my recommendation would be to head there for breakfast (several fun places, some with terrific views of the harbor, ferries etc.), maybe buy some flowers for your cabin on the boat, then head back to the hotel and take a cab to the pier.

Thanks for the responses. Yes we will be up and out of the hotel by 6am, so breakfast at the market sounds good (some cinnamon rolls and Starbucks). I normally like to be the first one on the ship, but want to enjoy Seattle and see some sights, so I may buy a city pass and do the aquarium and/or harbor 1 hour boat ride before we board. I think they are all close to each other.

I think all aboard/checkin is 3:30, so I am assuming I will have enough time to do those activities.

Thanks for the responses. Yes we will be up and out of the hotel by 6am, so breakfast at the market sounds good (some cinnamon rolls and Starbucks). I normally like to be the first one on the ship, but want to enjoy Seattle and see some sights, so I may buy a city pass and do the aquarium and/or harbor 1 hour boat ride before we board. I think they are all close to each other.

I think all aboard/checkin is 3:30, so I am assuming I will have enough time to do those activities.

http://www.athenianinn.com/

http://eatatlowells.com/

http://campagnerestaurant.com/home

http://www.thecrumpetshop.com/

http://lepichetseattle.com/home/

http://www.soundviewcafe.com/