Dover to Stonehenge or Avebury or the Cotswolds

We just booked B2B2B cruises that will give us two separate full days in Dover. We'd like to visit Dover castle, but also would like to make a trip to Stonehenge and/or the Cotswolds. Princess doesn't seem to offer any excursions in Dover except those that end at the London airports.

Are there any day tours from Dover to Stonehenge/Avebury or from Dover to the Cotswolds? If not, would it be feasible to do it on our own via rail or rental car?

I am not surprised that there are no tours from Dover to Stonehenge/Avebury or the Cotswolds but, given that you have two days, they would be feasible by hire car. The best thing would be to hire the car in Dover but book your night's stay somewhere like Marlborough.

The drive to Stonehenge is mostly motorway and involves driving round the M25, so you would need to be a confident driver. It should take about four hours with a stop en route, provided that there are no hold-ups. The drive North from Avebury is on country roads and you wouldn't really have time to explore, if you have to get back to Dover to catch your ship.

I think that there are many places well worth seeing nearer to Dover: Canterbury for one, Leeds Castle; Faversham (lot's of history and a Magna Carta commemoration in 2015), Rochester (Charles Dickens), Chatham's historic dockyard and many others, you will be spoiled for choice. I would stay in Canterbury where there are some fine, and non-chain hotels. For a unique (but expensive) overnight stay, Leeds Castle has accommodation too, with breakfast in the 17th Century oak-beamed hall .

By "two separate full days", I meant one day at a time. Our ship will be in Dover on June 15, 2016 from 5AM to 5PM and then again on July 1, 2016 from 5AM until 5PM. Our final disembarkation will be on July 15, 2016. We were thinking about traveling to Ireland for a week at that time. So we wanted to see Dover, Stonehenge, and the Cotswolds on the turn-around days if possible.

Not possible to do both, given that realistically you only have about 9 hours ashore. Take an hour off that to collect and return a hire car and you will spend most of the day driving. You would also have the worry that if the M25 gets snarled up, an not infrequent occurrence, you could miss your sailing.

Google tells me that Dover to Stonehenge is a 2½ hour drive, but that is with no holdups on roads that are notorious for just that. Avebury is another 40 minutes by road from Stonehenge.

I just do not think that you can do it. As least, not so that you enjoy the experience. The places you want to see are best accessed from Southampton. I guess that in Oz, a hundred mile trip is not anything to worry about - on our congested little Island, it is a long way.

Edited by Bob++

Excellent advice throughout Bob's posts.

Possible as a two-day excursion by renting a car, but nonsensical for a single day. In theory you could rent a car to see just Stonehenge, but then a major hold-up on roads that are notorious for hold-ups will mean a strong probability of missing a 4.30 back-on-board time. And if your b2b is different ships (or even if it's the same ship, depending on ship's policy re registration & muster drill) you may need to be back aboard by 3.30pm.

For your turnaround days (two turnaround days?:confused:), perm any two from three:

Dover castle. Safe & easy, even with a late start & early back-on-board. A short taxi hop or a long walk (the last bit up-hill).

Canterbury. A cheap & frequent direct half-hour train ride from Dover

Leeds Castle. Similarly cheap & easy frequent direct half-hour train ride to Maidstone, then taxi or local bus or possibly a shuttle to Leeds Castle.

Or you may prefer some of Bob's other suggestions.

If you want to see Stonehenge & Avebury, and drive thro the Cotswolds the only way is pre-cruise, or post-cruise by taking some time out of your Irish foray. If the latter, you could rent in Dover then drive to Stonehenge & Avebury and on to an overnight (perhaps Bath) & next day thro the Cotswolds & perhaps to Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon & a second overnight, possibly Bath again cos you don't have to re-trace the same route. Then, depending on the location of your second overnight you could fly to Ireland from Bristol or Birmingham or Heathrow, dropping the car at the airport. That's a very rushed two days - better to take four but can be done in two.

Just MHO, but I've driven more hectic itineraries than others have recommended in Aus, the US & the UK. So I doubt anyone's going to argue that you can do more, & many will rate my suggestion too hectic.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Not possible to do both, given that realistically you only have about 9 hours ashore. Take an hour off that to collect and return a hire car and you will spend most of the day driving. You would also have the worry that if the M25 gets snarled up, an not infrequent occurrence, you could miss your sailing.

Google tells me that Dover to Stonehenge is a 2½ hour drive, but that is with no holdups on roads that are notorious for just that. Avebury is another 40 minutes by road from Stonehenge.

I just do not think that you can do it. As least, not so that you enjoy the experience. The places you want to see are best accessed from Southampton. I guess that in Oz, a hundred mile trip is not anything to worry about - on our congested little Island, it is a long way.

OP is from Melbourne Beach Florida, not the Oz one:)

Thank you all for posting your information. I too had consulted googlemaps, but it takes locals to know about conditions like traffic. And that makes all the difference. If traffic congestion is likely, then trying to do a round-trip from Dover to Stonehenge or the Cotswolds in one day would be foolish. So we'll put Ireland off until another trip and go back to our original plan which was to spend a week in England post-cruise.

And we'll spend our two turn-around days in Dover exploring a couple of the places you mentioned.

Oops - missed the 'FL'.::o Mind, they have a different conception of distance over there too.

I agree. Anyone from larger countries with more open spaces look at our country and think...only 100 miles from A to B..should take a couple of hours....then they hit our traffic...hopefully not literally.:eek:

Maybe the developers of googlemaps are from a "larger country with more open spaces".

They are, we know that...and googlemap state that the journey time from Dover to Stonehenge takes 2 hours 40 minutes........very optimistic! You stated yourself that local knowledge is useful.

The M25 (see googlemap) is known as the Outer London car park (parking lot) for a reason. It's a road that no 'local' loves:eek:

Just to add my experience - drove from Folkestone to Stonehenge last June and it took nearly 3 1/2 hours. Huge bottleneck at Stonehenge with cars backed up for ages. M25 is always risky - on a drive back from the Cotswolds, every single motorway home (M25, M23, M20) had closures.

You can easily spend a whole day in Canterbury - there are walking tours and river trips as well. There is also a bus from Dover to Canterbury which takes about 50 minutes. You could always go one way by train and one way by bus to get the scenic experience!

I'm convinced! We definitely will not try to do a day-trip from Dover to Stonehenge and back. Canterbury sounds like a good idea, as does Dover Castle. I'm not sure how to incorporate the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway with a half day in Dover. Where do you get the train?

Hmm, its a bit further from Dover than I thought...about 13 miles to Hythe. Heres a map with the bus route numbers https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Lord+Warden+Square&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=51.098563,1.192017&spn=0.128498,0.301781&sll=51.09382,1.19236&sspn=0.128511,0.301781&geocode=FYH0CwMdNgYUAA%3BFdtJCwMdwl0QAA&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&z=12&start=0

though I think a cab would be better, about £20 each way. I'm surprised the RH&DR site doesn't have a 'how to get here' page! If I have any joy with better transport options, I'll come back.

Simon

I can't resist this...you can get the train from Romney, Hythe or Dymchurch :)

I think from Dover you'd need to either get a bus or a taxi to Hythe, but hopefully locals will chime in with more details.

Do come and see us in the Cotswolds sometime, but not on a day trip from Dover! Several threads already on here, or come back for advice on things to do, places to stay etc.

Hmm, its a bit further from Dover than I thought...about 13 miles to Hythe. Heres a map with the bus route numbers https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Lord+Warden+Square&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=51.098563,1.192017&spn=0.128498,0.301781&sll=51.09382,1.19236&sspn=0.128511,0.301781&geocode=FYH0CwMdNgYUAA%3BFdtJCwMdwl0QAA&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&z=12&start=0

though I think a cab would be better, about £20 each way. I'm surprised the RH&DR site doesn't have a 'how to get here' page! If I have any joy with better transport options, I'll come back.

Simon

There are directions pages to each of the stations, so a little bit buried in the website.

Simon

Looks like the bus is the best option - route 101 or 102 from Malvern Rd Dover to Hythe is a 50 minute ride. Scenic too by the look of it. There is also a direct bus from Canterbury to the station at Hythe. Unless you think that riding a bus is adventure enough, I think that trying to fit the railway and Canterbury into one day is too much.

Edited by Bob++

Yes, I'll agree with Bob. The 101 & 102 'Wave' bus goes from outside Dover Priory railway station (probably need a cab there...about £7...or walk it if you are fit!!) to Hythe station about every 15 mins. Currently Stagecoach (who run the bus) is having 'issues' with its website and I can't get a fare. Just tell the driver you want to go to Hythe station and he/she will tell you where to get off!

This map gives you an idea of the walking route from Western Docks to Dover Priory station...just over a mile.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&output=classic&dg=brw

Simon

Thank you all for the specific directions to the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. It sounds a bit long and complicated for clueless tourists (us) to "incorporate with a half day in Dover", though.

The RHD railway wouldn't be that high on my list anyway unless you are a big miniature locomotive fan. It's best when there is a special event on like the Santa trains.

Closer to Dover for a a half day I'd really recommend either the South Foreland lighthouse which is a national trust property (minibus up or a coastal walk) or a short train ride to the medieval village of Sandwich with a very good local produce lunch in the George and Dragon Pub. Or an day trip (easy train ride) to Margate where there is the Turner Contemporary Gallery and as from 19th June, Dreamland, which is the country's oldest theme park. It is being reopened this year as a heritage theme park. Just a nice seaside experience even if the rides might not be for you.

Also if you go to Canterbury Cathedral check their website as they sometimes have discounted ticket vouchers. It's a free child entry running at the mo. Be sure to see the new statues of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip on the outside of the cathedral which were just dedicated this week.