Chilkoot Charters question

ladybugva

I wanted to correct myself on the exhaust being an issue on the train back. That is only the case with the steam engine trains that are offered on different tours.

This is what has been said by people who have taken these tours. The regular diesel trains are what most people take. It's a good reminder, for those taking the Steam engine and being unfamiliar to be aware of the fumes possible. It also is likely could be an issue either direction.

Edited by Budget Queen

I'm renting a car and driving to the Yukon and back. $140 for the day.

That's what we did and loved it. You can stop when and where you want. You can't get lost since there is only one road and the driving is very easy - no steep climbs or hairpin turns.

I wanted to correct myself on the exhaust being an issue on the train back. That is only the case with the steam engine trains that are offered on different tours.

That makes sense, but if there is a good fireman, it shouldn't have much smoke going down hill

Thanks for all the info. I just booked a Chilkoot excursion today. Interestingly, they stop running the Bennett trip the first week in September. We're in Skagway on Sept. 8 so we booked the Yukon trip ... train up, bus back. This trip also makes it all the way to Emerald Lake.

It is the WP&YRR that stops running the Bennett trip--Sept 5 is the last day. No train, no trips.

It is the WP&YRR that stops running the Bennett trip--Sept 5 is the last day. No train, no trips.

Yep ... I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that Chilkoot stopped running excursion ... simply that the excursion doesn't exist after the first week in September.