Carnival Valor - is it really that bad?

kchesneylover

I have read so many reviews about the Carnival Valor - Good and Bad.

The Bad:

That the lines are horrendous; the Funpass line was a joke; the kids run wild; the deck-chair-savers; the food that was below par (read: cafeteria food), the tender lines were outrageous; the disembarkation was a nightmare and so on and so forth.

I am crusing Oct 2 to the Western Caribbean. Do you think their are going to be a lot of kids on this particular cruise?

I also heard that the Specialty restaurant was't up to par either. That the ice cream machine did not work half the time; that their were no toppings. etc. etc.

The Good:

The excursions all sounded pretty good from what I have read (both independent and Carnival).

These are the possibilities I am thinking about (independent):

Cozumel - Blue Bubble Divers - 3 Reef Snorkel - Columbia, Palancar and

Paradise Reefs - $45.00/pp - no fru fru drinks or anything included.

or

Cozumel - Zorro Catamaran 3 Reef Snorkel - Columbia, Sky, Palancar- $45/PP - includes water, colas, beer, margaritas, pina coladas, rum punch, tequila sunrises - lasts 4 hours.

--------------

Grand Cayman - taking a taxi to Cemetery Reef and snorkel.

--------------

Roatan - Tabayana Beach or West Bay Beach - snorkeling

--------------

Belize - Chan National Marine Preserve - snorkeling

--------------

Can anyone give me a heads up about what they think about my choices?

Ok, I've never sailed on Valor, but I have sailed on Conquest. Similar enough I suppose to alleviate some fears I hope. :)

The lines will always be bad, especially during the key eating times. Don't forget, you've got 2,000-ish people on board. However, they're not outrageous.

Oct. 2 may not have a lot of kids on board, but there's a very good probability of some. Odds are in your favor though.

I've eaten at the Point on Conquest, best food of the cruise. WELL WORTH the extra money spent. Whomever is saying it was bad, obviously had no taste buds or prefers something other than outstanding food.

As for the ice cream machines.... They could break down at any time. Will it be your cruise? Will it be the next...? Who knows? Don't let the lack of ice cream potentially ruin your cruise. There's plenty of food on board. :)

As for excursions, better to go through the ship, IMO. It may cost more, but you're guaranteed to not miss it if the excursion goes long and is past the sail away time.

Overall, don't fret. Just go, have fun, keep an open mind. And don't forget that everyone has a negative opinion of something, whether it's cruising, Disneyland, camping, etc.

Well everyone is going to have a different opinion on each thing...but here is my input to each item...we sailed the Valor back in June.

The lines can get long but they really weren't that bad for the most part. The longest lines I experienced were the days we were at port. Once everyone got on board it seemed they all went to grab a burger or pizza...that is the only time I noticed them being really long.

I had no problems with the funpass check in so I'm not sure what you have heard. I got there around 11:30 and was processed right away. We did have to wait about an hour after that to board since the boat wasn't ready , per customs, when we got through.

As far as kids...we had a lot because it was summer break...but it all depends on your level of tolerance. I am the mother of 8 and 5 year olds so they kids didn't bother me at all. Mine were at home this cruise. I doubt that you will find as many on your cruise due to the time of year.

The deck-chair-savers, it happens, but there were still always some chairs available. You just have to search if you don't come out early.

I happened to love the food. There were some selections at the buffet that I didn't love...but you're not going to like everything they have. The dining room food was very good and so was the deli. I also recommend the fish 'n chips above Rosie's.

Debarkation was my least favorite part...but that could have also been because I had to leave kicking and screaming from one of the best vacations I've had. :D I loved the boat and had a blast with the people I was with.

The supper club, I HEARD, was great and well worth it. We had a reservation but changed our mind that night so I can't tell you first hand.

The ice cream was working on one end and not the other. I liked it and there was always some available when I went. The pizza and burgers were awesome!!!

Tendering...well it was a pain in the butt...however, read the boards to find out how to get around it...if you so choose. We did and it worked!

I can't help you on these particular excursions as we did the beach break at Cozumel and the Cave Tubing in Belize. I can tell you that everyone I knew that went to Tabayana Beachloved it.

I hope this helps. Like I said...this is just my opinion but we loved the Valor and had an absolute blast.

I loved the Valor, but checking in at Miami is a joke. So is the funpass at Miami, there was no sperate line for Funpass at Miami. As for the kids running away and the people saving chairs there is nothing you can do about that. That has NOTHING to do with the ship or cruiseline.

I cruised Valor last month..I had a wonderful time, no problems. In my honest opinion, the food was delicious. There were a lot of kids, but for the most part they behaved. As far as lines, we got in line at 11:30, were on the boat by 1:00. Leaving the boat wasn't bad either. Were there lines? Yes, but on a boat that size your gonna have lines. But hey, your on vacation, no need to rush. I would cruise Valor again in a heartbeat.

I live in Miami so I can understand the traffic and the checking in. I imagine it is a nightmare. I am hoping I get their really early so as to avoid all the hassle. Thank you for you comments!

I loved the Valor, but checking in at Miami is a joke. So is the funpass at Miami, there was no sperate line for Funpass at Miami. As for the kids running away and the people saving chairs there is nothing you can do about that. That has NOTHING to do with the ship or cruiseline.

I just got Back from the Valor Last sunday ( Sailed out on 8/28 )

I loved every mintue of it ( except for the last sunday Leaving SUCKS )

ok lets address this one by one

Line: Yes there are line... yes lines suck. But you have 3000 people on there with you, no matter what ship you go on Canival or Not you are going ot have lines. Like some one else said the buiest times are on port days right around the all abored time because every one just got back on and every ones hungry. same with Getting on the boat and off the boat... 3000 People deal with it.

Food: I cant give the Food on that ship enough praise It was WONDERFl. of corse there were things on there I didnt want or like. and Guess what??? I DIDNT EAT any of it. My wife is a very picky eater if she can find stuff on there she likes any one can.

Rooms: We were on deck 8 and the room was great only complait I had was haveing 1 twin beds. but nothing we could do about that

Kids: Yes there were Kids. Yes there were some problems Is this the Valors Fault ? Or even Canival ? NO its the Parents fault plain and Sipmle I wouldnt Mind haveing a 21 and up cruise but since there isnt one I dont mind the Kids

tendering: You dont like it... GO Eastern There isnt any. You want to go to Western Deal with it or shell out the Millions of dollars your self to put a harbor in there big enough for the boat.

Staff: Every one I incountered was great. but again with 1100 crew members you are bound to get a few that are in a pissy mood it is human Nature ( You cant tell me where ever you work there hasnt been a time where some one was having a bad day and took it out on a customer it happens )

We loved the Valor!

Lines, yes, there were over 3,000 people on our sold out cruise in July.

I doubt you will ahve that many or even close to it in Oct. Not nearly as many kids either.

As crowded as it was I always found a deck chair and I'm not an early riser. It may not be right by the pool but you will get a chair!

Food was great!! So many choices. Dinner at the dining room was imaginative and tasty. If you don't like what you oredered you can get something else right away.

I didn't get the chance to eat at Scarlettes but everyone I talked to that did, raved about it!

Ice cream was always there for me! :) No toppings.

Tendering to GC was a Pain, what can you do? Be patient. I didn't think Belize was as bad.

Cave tubing in Belize was the best, we used Coral Breeze.

Miami is just a bad port. It's hard to get in & out of no matter what. The Funpass is a joke because most everyone has it. The line that didn't use the Funpass went a lot quicker. My sister was in that one and was at least 15 minutes ahead of us.

Disembarkment, not sure why everyone rushes off the ship to go nowhere!?

Take a nice cup of coffee, after a leisurely breakfast with you to the Eagles Lounge. Grab deck of cards and relax ynil you are the last ones off!

Your luggage will be there standing out yelling for you and there won't be much traffic left either. It's also kind of fun watching the new people start boarding. You can give them advice!

in fact, I'm worried about going on any other ship, because we loved it so much I can't see how anything else can compare!

Though I did eastern route, I'll address the concerns that applied to our cruise:

The Bad:

That the lines are horrendous (getting on kind of sucked, getting off TOTALLY sucked, other than Customs in St. Thomas, I didn't stand in ANY other lines)

the Funpass line was a joke TRUE

the kids run wild (we went 5/23/05 and didn't see a dozen kids, and from what i hear, that's not exclusive to the Valor, it's all ship, all cruiselines when the kids aren't in school);

the deck-chair-savers (we hung out on deck 10, right above the aft, Promethius, pool, and ALWAYS found 4 chairs together. and it's only like 20 yards, down some steps to the pool)

the food that was below par (read: cafeteria food), breakfast was definately par (though the fruit and pastries were always good). other than that, I can't complain, and though I can't say it was "cafeteria food", maybe a nice buffett restaurant grade. fresh and hot, just not overly creative (which I think is the point, as I kind of see the buffett as an alternative to those who don't enjoy the more creative cuisine of the dining rooms)

the tender lines were outrageous (I've heard the same things, which is why I won't go on a cruise that tenders anywhere)

the disembarkation was a nightmare TRUE

...and so on and so forth.

I am crusing Oct 2 to the Western Caribbean. Do you think their are going to be a lot of kids on this particular cruise? probably not, kids are all in school

I also heard that the Specialty restaurant was't up to par either didn't eat there.

That the ice cream machine did not work half the time not true;

that their were no toppings true, just cones and dishes. basic but GOOD.

Here's my .02 worth:

We were on the 8/7 Western Caribbean sailing and had a wonderful time. Not perfect, just wonderful ;) .

That the lines are horrendous; - The only bad line we were in was for debarkation. Food lines really weren't all that bad, but there are LOTS of options, so be flexible.

the Funpass line was a joke; - This may be true, but just keep talking about how much fun you're about to have!

the kids run wild; Not really a problem on our cruise. They do congregate around the Caboose in the evening, but that's because it is geared to teenagers.

the deck-chair-savers; If you don't have to be next to the pool, I understand you can usually find a chair (I'm not a sunbather, so it wasn't an issue for me). I believe there is a pool at the aft end of the ship that is not as well known.

the food that was below par (read: cafeteria food) Not at all true, in my opinion. There are lots of options, many somewhat unusual dishes, incredible desserts in Rosie's - If you aren't excited by what you see, keep looking around.

the tender lines were outrageous; Well, don't expect to get off the ship quickly - UNLESS you book your excursions at these ports through Carnival. I tried it both ways and would ONLY book through Carnival at tendered ports unless I really don't care when I get off the ship. By the way, if you are flexible, they will call for general tendering eventually and then the lines aren't much of an issue.

the disembarkation was a nightmare - Well, it isn't fun - especially since the cruise is over. We went to Rosies, had a leisurely breakfast followed by extra cups of coffee, played cards, enjoyed the view of the Miami area... Sooner or later you have to join the line getting off, which was enormous, but moved fairly well. Next time I'm booking a post-cruise excursion. That is supposed to make debarkation much easier.

Jeff

Thank you everyone for your reviews and responses. Now my only problem are the excursions.

I wanted to do the Zorro Catamaran Excursion in Cozumel - I wonder if we will have time.

I am really leary of doing a snorkeling excursion through Carnival as if there are a lot of people in the water sand will get stirred up :( and we will not be able to see anything. Is this true?

I am really leary of doing a snorkeling excursion through Carnival as if there are a lot of people in the water sand will get stirred up :( and we will not be able to see anything. Is this true?

Any time you book through a cruiseline, you will have a lot more people then a private tour. It will also cost more.

Not really sure of any advantage to it excpet you get to use one of the first tenders out.

Hi Cheryl

Hope all is well, give my best to everyone

Lee

Any time you book through a cruiseline, you will have a lot more people then a private tour. It will also cost more.

Not really sure of any advantage to it excpet you get to use one of the first tenders out.

Stupid thread (no offence) must have gotten to me ... I had a nightmare last night about my cruise in December on the Valor ... walked into my bathroom and a section of the floor was missing and the toilet squirted me in the face when I test flushed it. The crew seemed to be understanding, though, and were about to upgrade me to a suite ... then I woke up.

:)

We loved the ship and our vacation.

Our only complaint:

The size of the ships increase and the embarkation station remains the same size. Result...BOTTLENECK!

My point: Long lines to check in and people with attitudes cut in line; thinking "I'm gonna get mine" no matter what. The process is not a race to get on the ship first. Carnival can't control people (maybe to some degree), but they need to build a bigger and ultimately faster embarkation station (with better ventilation). The stress at the beginning of ones vacation can put a damper on the whole experience.

Debarkation depends on how many customs agents are available.

Had a great time in spite of witnessing a fistfight and shoving match during embarkation which took 2 hours. I guess, we could have arrived at the port earlier in the morning of departure.

Photocruiser.

I went on the Valor in May. I liked it and would definitely go back if given the opportunity.

Embarkation was a breeze. In the terminal at 10:30 on the ship by 11:30. Prefilling the documents helped although we stood in line for 30 minutes or so and then had to wait for the weddings and special needs guests to board. We were among the first regualr group to board and I had a burger and lemonade by 12:30 with my bags in the room.

Lines were long at the buffet. Don't blame the cruise line, blame your fellow passengers who take forever getting their meals.

Food wasn't served in the buffets all day. There were specific meal times. Otherwise, back to the pizza and burger bars (imagine the lines). This I blame on the cruise line. NCL has buffets open all day and night. I don't eat at conventional times (lunch is usually at 2 or later, dinner at 8 or so) so I often found myself looking to the long lines on the aft pool deck for pizza or burgers and dogs.

Dining room food was awesome and I had ZERO complaints there.

As far as excursions, I took only two through the cruise line and saved $$$ in the process. In Belize to the ruins, in Roatan, to Tabyana Beach. Good tour albeit long and the ruins are HOT in Belize. In Roatan, the bus ride and entry to Tabyana beach was worth it for $29

In Cozumel, Paradise beach on our own. In Grand Cayman, Sea Grape beach on our own.

The cruise director stunk (Brent or Brett), he wasn't very involved and had horrible humor.

The cruise director was Josh Riffe on my Carnival Valor cruise on July 10, 2005. I loved the dinning room too and I was in the Washington dinning room near the back of the ship. The maitre'd was omurion and he was very funny. The captain's party was fun and the captain was "Captain Agostino Fazio". I really liked the vegetable sushi at the sushi bar. I don't eat sushi because i'm vegetarian but they had a great selection. The main theme of the ship was all of the presidents and a usa theme like. I liked how the ship looked.......it was pretty nice. The pools are a little small though. I think different people feel different ways about it.

We did the airbrush tattoos that they did by the poolside and they washed off within 3 days or so. They were 10 dollars for the small one i believe. Well, I went to Roatan and went to Tabyana beach. I think Tabyana beach was the best tour I went on out of all of them. Try Tabyana Beach, I bet you will like it. Hmm I think Josh Riffe was okay but I heard Brent Mitchell was on and thought he was there but it was Josh. I heard that Josh was on the ship then left now he's back again. I think Josh is really funny and a pretty good cruise director.

Well, I loved the cruise personally and I wish I was still there. How can't you like the cruise? Maybe because it's Carnival.........I just think some cruise ships give you more such as Royal Caribbean. There is concierge lounge on Royal Caribbean. I was on Mariner of the Seas in July 2004.

Archived