My First Solo Trip/Received Bronze Medallion

shandryl

Was that the cruise on which we met? I can picture you clear as day in Ocean Bar. :)

Hi Judy, actually, you and I met for coffee in the Lido on a Volendam Southern Caribbean cruise at the end of October 2005 and spent a most enjoyable hour chatting. Later in the cruise you introduced me to your DH as our paths crossed in the Atrium just outside the Ocean Bar, so, yes, we did meet there too. That was my first solo cruise, with training wheels, because it was a family cruise we had booked while my DH was still alive and we opted to take the cruise in his memory.

That was the cruise that began in Port Canaveral and ended in Port Everglades because the hurricane just days before had dumped too much debris at PE and it wasn't open yet to cruise ships when we embarked.

I got my 100 day medal on the Voyage of the Spammed r/t Hawaii the following October. My first solo cruise on my own but with some 30 brand new CC friends.

Edited by the2ofus
Added information

Hello Everyone! :D Back from my 11 day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer on the MS Noordam (March 9 to 20, 2015)

I knew other CC's that were going to be on this cruise too so it was more like my first solo cruise with training wheels.

This is my 5th time on the Noordam << I love this ship! I have seen all the the islands and never get tired of them. The tours were great. Mostly beach & sailing and swimming. Did some shopping and enjoyed some really good pizza in St Thomas << way better than on the ship. Don't get me wrong overall HAL has made some really good improvements. Personally I still think the pizza needs work.

I have already got a reservation next year SOLO on the Oosterdam Its the only way to keep the addiction in check LOL Knowing that I have another cruise on the horizon :D

I was invited to the Mariner Society Reception :eek: I was in my cabin and the phone starts ringing ? So I answer it and this lady says bla bla this is the guest relations desk <<<when i heard this I thought OMG there going say something about my CC not enough funds or over extended LOL This lady goes on to say I have over 130 days bla bla we would like to invite you to attend the Mariner Society Reception to receive your Bronze Medallion. Honestly I did not think I had that many days and kept thinking that they made a mistake or error.

Next thing I knew I was getting my picture taken wearing my Medallion with Captain Robert Jan Kan and his Second in command << I did not get his name sorry.

It was kinda exciting!! I thought HAL phased the metal award out and were no longer giving them out. Glad I was wrong. :D They also gave the other color metals too and The Captain also took pictures with others that had over a 1000 days. There were quite a few.

I am back at work and saving/making plans/ for the next cruise.

Hi Shandryl! You kept that quiet - lol! You doing the Oosterdam at the same time next year? Enquiring minds want to know......... Did you get photo I sent by email?????

Edited by wishful thinking
Added text

Congratulations on your bronze medal. We were on the cruise after you and were also awarded bronze medals.

One thing that happens is that just about everyone you meet wants to know how many cruises you've been on. We generally say 7 or 8. Got home and started counting our key cards and we have actually been on 12 (or that is the amount of cards we have stapled on our barn door). Loved Michael in the Piano Bar.

Hi Shandryl! You kept that quiet - lol! You doing the Oosterdam at the same time next year? Enquiring minds want to know......... Did you get photo I sent by email?????

Hey Hi wishful thinking!! Yes I got the photo :D We all look great! LOL

Congratulations on your bronze medal. We were on the cruise after you and were also awarded bronze medals.

One thing that happens is that just about everyone you meet wants to know how many cruises you've been on. We generally say 7 or 8. Got home and started counting our key cards and we have actually been on 12 (or that is the amount of cards we have stapled on our barn door). Loved Michael in the Piano Bar.

Thank you Jean1946 :D Congrats on getting your bronze medal. I know what you mean I got asked how many cruises have I been on too. After a while they do add up.

Congratulations on earning your bronze medal. Of course this means that you will be invited to all future medal ceremonies on whatever HAL ships you sail. Except when the ceremony has a lot of attendees, you will be introduced at each ceremony. Feel special because you earned it.

Crew News, Thank you. Yes thats what I was told too that I would be invited to other ceremonies. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Everyone! :D Back from my 11 day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer on the MS Noordam (March 9 to 20, 2015)

I knew other CC's that were going to be on this cruise too so it was more like my first solo cruise with training wheels.

This is my 5th time on the Noordam << I love this ship! I have seen all the the islands and never get tired of them. The tours were great. Mostly beach & sailing and swimming. Did some shopping and enjoyed some really good pizza in St Thomas << way better than on the ship. Don't get me wrong overall HAL has made some really good improvements. Personally I still think the pizza needs work.

I have already got a reservation next year SOLO on the Oosterdam Its the only way to keep the addiction in check LOL Knowing that I have another cruise on the horizon :D

I was invited to the Mariner Society Reception :eek: I was in my cabin and the phone starts ringing ? So I answer it and this lady says bla bla this is the guest relations desk <<<when i heard this I thought OMG there going say something about my CC not enough funds or over extended LOL This lady goes on to say I have over 130 days bla bla we would like to invite you to attend the Mariner Society Reception to receive your Bronze Medallion. Honestly I did not think I had that many days and kept thinking that they made a mistake or error.

Next thing I knew I was getting my picture taken wearing my Medallion with Captain Robert Jan Kan and his Second in command << I did not get his name sorry.

It was kinda exciting!! I thought HAL phased the metal award out and were no longer giving them out. Glad I was wrong. :D They also gave the other color metals too and The Captain also took pictures with others that had over a 1000 days. There were quite a few.

Congrats on your Bronze Medallion Shandryl That is really nice. Had to laugh when I read your notice. We missed our cruising the last 2 years and are gladly going back. We are doing the Oosterdam as well February 19 to March11 . When are you going? I can hardly wait!!!

Shandryl,

How very wonderful. Congrats on receiving your Bronze Medallion. Well when I read your post I got all happy, we have booked the Oosterdam as well. 2 years away from cruising has been torture. We go February 19 to March 11. When are you booked? I am so excited and know you are as well.

Edited by filmsy57
is a double send

Crew News, Thank you. Yes thats what I was told too that I would be invited to other ceremonies. :D

Really?? I hit the 204 day mark on my last cruise and have never been invited to a medal ceremony since the one when I received my bronze medal. I just assumed that they didn't have medals any more. I did receive a 4* mariner's pin in the mail after my last cruise. We'll see if I get invited to anything other than the regular mariner's lunch on my next HAL cruise. In fact I had to ask for an invitation to the last mariner's lunch on the NA after my DD got an invite and she is only a 1* Think that HAL prefers to give perks to members who are lower star status....I know that I get a better price if I travel with someone with a lower mariner status....1 or 2* are usually cheaper, or at the least the same as a 3 or 4*..at least on the many cruises I have been on.

Hi Judy, actually, you and I met for coffee in the Lido on a Volendam Southern Caribbean cruise at the end of October 2005 and spent a most enjoyable hour chatting. Later in the cruise you introduced me to your DH as our paths crossed in the Atrium just outside the Ocean Bar, so, yes, we did meet there too. That was my first solo cruise, with training wheels, because it was a family cruise we had booked while my DH was still alive and we opted to take the cruise in his memory.

That was the cruise that began in Port Canaveral and ended in Port Everglades because the hurricane just days before had dumped too much debris at PE and it wasn't open yet to cruise ships when we embarked.

I got my 100 day medal on the Voyage of the Spammed r/t Hawaii the following October. My first solo cruise on my own but with some 30 brand new CC friends.

I remember..... :)

Firmin van Walle was Hotel Manager (as he was then titled) for that cruise. We picked up his wife at the airport and she rode to the ship with us. We all had to change our air reservations to fly into Orlando vs. FLL. :) It was a wonderful cruise and a pleasure meeting you.

Congrats on your bronze medal. I'm heading to Fort lauderdale today to board the Noordam tomorrow.

Hi Cruz Chic!

Will watch tomorrow as you sail!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Shandryl,

Congrats to you on your Bronze Medallion!

Denise:)