Barcelona

Ricktan

Luckily, I had left one credit card, some cash and my passport in the safe. I highly recommend to anyone that you do the same.

Exactly, . . .

We loved Barcelona and would go back in a heart beat. That said, we got very serious about how to protect ourselves when we were to sail out of there and wanted to spend a couple of days in advance. We have since adopted our strategy for all cities now, including larger US cities. Read up on what you can do to protect yourself, be aware of your surroundings and take the precautions you fell will work for you.

For financial protection, we took multiple CCs, ATM cards with us. However, only one ever left with us when we were out and about and we only carried a small amount of cash. Other CC/ATM cards, along with our actual passports were back in the hotel (or Ship) safe (we only take photo copies of our passports unless a certain need requires a real one). When we had to transport all belongings from one area to the another (eg: Airport to hotel, hotel to ship, etc.), one of us carried one set, the other carried a separate non duplicate set of cards. This way, in the unfortunate event something does happen, we likely will not be stranded with all CCs shut off. Also, we have all the international card contact phone numbers with us. I carried all this on our netbook computer (with an encrypted hard drive), as well as had paper back up. No purse ever for my wife, she used the backpack as a purse to carry personal items. My travel 'wallet' is a very small money clip with a slot for a card or two - always in my front pocket and my hand was in the pocket when we were in crowds. A separate wallet stays in the safe with all my other junk.

Because we also wanted to take our camera and have space for other items while out and about, we bought a very special 'safe backpack'. While this would not prevent a mugging/physical assault and the stealing of the entire backpack, it does have cables in the straps to avoid cutting, and the zippers 'lock' to avoid entry by cleaver hands from behind. The cables in the straps can also allow it to be 'locked' around a fixed object while sitting (like a heavy table leg).

I know it sounds bad, but again, we developed a healthy paranoia about this and it has almost become second nature to both of us now and doesn't affect us from having fun.

Speaking of bad cities, while in St. Petersburg Russia, we actually could see all this taking place. Our tour guides were very aware and point out on numerous occasions when it was occurring.

We really loved Barcelona, too, and didn't find it any more dangerous than other big cities. That said, we were there in late November for a late-season TA cruise, so maybe most of the pickpockets left when most of the tourists did, too. ;)

We prefer to use a credit card for everything, but we do take a debit card when travelling to get some local currency. We've opened a couple separate bank accounts - online ones, very easy to do, and you can find one that charges no fees for the account or for foreign transactions. When we take a trip, we transfer a bit of money to the online bank account; just enough for what we'll need and some for an emergency. That way, our "real" or main account never travels with us and stays safe at home. Should we lose our debit card, the most the thieves would get would be the vacation spending cash. Hopefully, the bank returns the money, but in the meantime, we don't have to worry about losing lots and lots of cash or having bill payments bounce back home.

Like some of the other posters, we each also carry different cards and we leave others in the room safe, so if one of us get pickpocketed, we still have other cards and cash available.

Edited by CrispyRice

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I hate to allow a few 'bad' seeds control my time there. However, after seeing Pacsafe on here, I goggled and found the money pouches for hanging around your neck and for my DH's belt right inside his pants. One good thing is that my DH definitely puts off a (don't mess with me) Alfa attitude so I think that helps.....the other side of that coin is that if someone does "reach out" I will be concerned about him getting arrested!! This brings up another question. Do you carry your passport around while in port??? Only carrying what I don't want to lose is a VERY short list :D

Tanya

Emphatically, NO! Unless the ship's dorectpr tells you that it is necessary. But do carry a copy of your photo page in case your citizenship is questioned.

The only time we've carried our passports in the Med is when we've been told we must. Of course that's easy as Silversea relieves you of your passport when you board and only gives it back to you for ports in countries requiring you have your passport with you. Other times we have copies with us and always carry the card Silversea hands out with the port agent's name and phone number. We've gotten so used to not carrying them that in pre and post cruise cities we leave our passports locked up in the hotel. Works for us.

Edited by Randyk47

The only time we've carried our passports in the Med is when we've been told we must. Of course that's easy as Silversea relieves you of your passport when you board and only gives it back to you for ports in countries requiring you have your passport with you. Other times we have copies with us and always carry the card Silversea hands out with the port agent's name and phone number. We've gotten so used to not carrying them that in pre and post cruise cities we leave our passports locked up in the hotel. Works for us.

Would photocopies of the face page of a passport be sufficient for use if one were somehow left stranded ashore while the ship on which they were cruising embarked from the port of call? :eek:

Emphatically, NO! Unless the ship's dorectpr tells you that it is necessary. But do carry a copy of your photo page in case your citizenship is questioned.

Agree 100% - leave them in your safe and take a photo copy unless required otherwise. The only city that comes to mind in our travels while in Europe was in St. Petersburg. There, you go through immigration control to get off the ship and they were required.

Would photocopies of the face page of a passport be sufficient for use if one were somehow left stranded ashore while the ship on which they were cruising embarked from the port of call? :eek:

Don't believe there is a definitive answer here for many items of consideration would need to be known (like where is the next port stop). I believe I have read the story of some folks that had this happen and they were able to get to the next port with just the paper copy. Might have been in the same country without a boarder crossing.

That said, weighing the risks, personally, I would rather deal with that scenario with the local port agent's help than trying to convince an airline to let me on the plane to head home and trying to enter our home country without one if it were to be stolen. I think the later is a no go for sure in today's environment.

Edited by brentp

It's more to help deal with hopefully the local US Embassy or Consulate to get a replacement passport than to use it for travel. Better than nothing in that it has been either give the passport to the ship personnel for the duration of the cruise or no cruise. Makes the decision not to take it into a port city easy.

Edited by Randyk47

No, but:

A) Often on Mediterranean itineraries that stop at Barcelona (which this thread is about), the ship is holding everyone's passport, so there is not really any choice.

B) If you miss the ship, the staff will make efforts to ensure your passport is left with the port agent. This has been confirmed by various posters on Cruise Critic...and I actually heard Azamara staff say this on a documentary on Smithsonian channel just a couple of days ago.

C) The chances of getting stranded are really so slim in most cases that it seems a needless worry. If I am doing a port "on my own", I usually have a Plan B in mind just in case.....but in over 40 years of cruising I have never come close to missing the ship. On the other hand, I have been pickpocketed.....