Alaska Cruise Tour

!WaterLogged!

The arrival is with the crusietour but the departure tour will be on our own. We would need to get from the lodge to the tundra pickup in the park. Sounds like it will be to close to call.

Damn I guess we will do the history tour. Thanks for the quick response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the arrival and departure times accurate? We arrive in Denali from Fairbanks by 1:00pm and there is a Tundra tour that starts at 1:30pm. Would we be cutting it too close?

Yes.

Besides the chance that the bus may not arrive on time, once it does arrive you need to get your room key and go to your room.

Even if the bus does arrive on time, it is unlikely you will be checked in and can get to the tour meeting place in 30 minutes.

At least on the train, you got your room key prior to arrival. I would assume something similar on the bus.

Still not enough time tho. If you get in early, you can always try for a last minute switch.

Yes.

Besides the chance that the bus may not arrive on time, once it does arrive you need to get your room key and go to your room.

Even if the bus does arrive on time, it is unlikely you will be checked in and can get to the tour meeting place in 30 minutes.

This is one of the advantages of the connoisseur cruisetour. It's all planned in advance.

Would you recommend the connoisseur? I am always concerned of having a schedule and finding something else I want to do.

Would you recommend the connoisseur? I am always concerned of having a schedule and finding something else I want to do.

We booked the connoisseur because it includes everything. All meals are included. Several excursions - including the Tundra Wilderness Tour are included. Things are scheduled for you so that you don't miss what you want to do. You do still get some time on your own to do other things if you like. The downside is the price. It's more expensive than doing it on your own. Of course you don't end up missing out on the TWT which it sounds like may well happen in your case.

There is a good thread about the land portion of the connoisseur cruisetour located here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

Edited by Thrak

Are the arrival and departure times accurate? We arrive in Denali from Fairbanks by 1:00pm and there is a Tundra tour that starts at 1:30pm. Would we be cutting it too close?

For a private tour I would say you are cutting it too close. I'm not sure about the buses being on time but if you are on the train you can be late for sure. We rode the train (highly recommended if you can do it) and on the way to the ship we had to wait for two freight trains going north (Alaska Rail only has one set of tracks) and we were 2 hours late getting to the ship. A Princess tour has to wait for you or refund your money a private tour doesn't.

Good luck.

As others have said, you will get your room key on the bus/train so that isn't a problem. Does take about 25 minutes (mostly downhill) to walk to the bus center. If you are taking a Princess tour (and they might be able to switch you to one if you call the hotel), the pickup is in the lobby and it should wait for the train. We had maybe three buses on our 6:30 AM tours and they left as they filled from the hotel.

We did a similar land/sea tour with HAL a few years ago and it was wonderful. We asked the hotel desk clerk if they would wake us up if the Northern Lights were visible and about 2:30 am we got a call and watched from our porch landing. Awesome. Just a thought if you get the chance. Have a great time.