West Mediterranean in December

WLC061975

Has anyone do a cruise to West Mediterranean ports in December? Is this a good time to cruise to Europe? I am thinking taking 10 days trip on NCL Epic as solo. I plan take excursions from ship since this is my first time. I appreciate any feedbacks. I live in Florida. So i plan to fly to Spain a few days earlier to do sightseeing

It is an excellent time price-wise, assuming you mean early December and not a holiday sailing (even for Christmas/New Years there have been good last-minute deals the last couple of years, but having Epic here through the winter is new). It is not a great time weather-wise. Warm clothes take up a lot of precious luggage space, but you will need them.

There are fewer crowds, but some tourist attractions simply won't be open at all, and some transportation options don't run in the wintertime, etc. But there is always something to visit in these ports, of course, either through the ship or on your own. The run-up to the holidays is a special time to see many of these places while escaping the craziness at home.

9th Dec cruise will be OK just hope the rain stays away

Just plan for cold and rain, layers and a lightweight rain jacket.

Quiet for tourists which is nice in places like Rome and Naples and Florence.

If doing pre cruise in Barcelona that can be nice less crowds but chilly.

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks. I am not worry about cold. I kinder like colder weather. I just dont like to deal with crows. I also worry about attractions close. But i will stick with ship excursions and indoor museums possibly

we did it this past december and the seas were flat calm, other then one night it was a bit rough. The weather was perfect high 50;s low 60's, even wore shorts one day. We spoke with people coming off the previous cruise and it rained every day and was cold. So we got lucky, you never know, could be nice could be cold, kind of a crap shoot

We have done the west med the last two Decembers and would do it again. There were a few very rough nights, but it wasn't too bad - although the pools were closed a few days. Tempretures varied from 14c to 21c and was mostly sunny, but we had one or two rainy days both times: our stop in Casablanca was torrential rain in the morning, but picked up in the afternoon and was lovely and hot and sunny.

It's a brilliant time to visit attractions as they are a lot quieter. We never found anything closed or on reduced winter hours. Plus we felt we managed to enjoy the ship more - we had a few sea days (although it was the Spirit not the Epic) and did things like enjoyed the sauna, watched films, relaxed with afternoon tea or long lunches. In fact my favourite holiday of all time has to be the 10 day Spirit West Med in November-December.

Although we didnt get a tan (not that i like sunbathing) but both times we had a few days that were warm enough to lie out on deck. Oh, and the hot tubs were very quiet - we were in them nearly every day, even when it was cold and raining. It wasn't so nice running out of them though - it took a while to psych ourselves up to it :D

We love traveling in Europe that time of year. Just be prepared for the possibility of cold weather in Rome & Florence. It snowed in Florence on our first trip there. Of course for me it was an excuse to buy a pair of Italian leather gloves:D

There are Christmas markets it both Florence & Rome, if that interests you. I would also suggest you join your roll call & check to see what excursions you might join that are not through the ship. We saved several $100s and had better tours on our Med cruise with our CC friends in smaller vans. The big busses used by the cruise ships are not made for the Amalfi coast or Sicily, and there is always wasted time in such a large group.

I live in a year round warm to hot climate and would welcome the chance to wear boots and my trench! Not a pool or tanning person so this all sounds lovely!! Big tourist sites like the leaning tower, Pompeii, and trevi fountain (assuming the construction is complete) should all be open. Thanks for the feedback.

We did the Western Med on the Jade this past January. It was probably high 40's, low 50's the whole week, some rain but no all-day downpour. I didn't think it was bad at all but we're from Michigan so we are used to colder than that. The tourist sites were not crowded but not deserted either, I can't imagine how much more crowded they must be in prime season.

The ship was pretty full and since it was so chilly outside the seating in the buffet was often hard to find. The outdoor deck areas were never warm enough to use although we did see some brave people in the hot tubs. We missed one port because of the weather and our sea days were very windy. The Promenade deck was closed as well on those days. Luckily none in our party was seasick in spite of the windy weather. Overall, we prefer less crowds so it worked for us and we would do it again, especially since we got it for a great price.

We have been to Florence twice in May and June, it rained both times :rolleyes:

Sorry, should have mentioned my winter-med experience didn't include Italy! Though whenever I go to Italy it rains so I suppose it wouldn't matter for us, but would expect quite cold temperatures, not the 14c to 21c we have experienced in Spain/Majorca (cruises, but also a few land-based holidays) in winter.

I would love to go to Rome in December, I have a friend who lived in Italy for a while and it's the only time she would ever go to Rome because otherwise it was too busy :)

We were on the Jade in December. The weather was really nice. It was usually in the low 60s and only had a few sprinkles of rain two times during the 10 days. We didn't find too many things closed. The crowds were definitely mush lighter. I really can't imagine doing the summer time again (did it in June 2 years before). I think you'll have a great time. Seas were also great (better than they were for us in June).

has anyone do a cruise to west mediterranean ports in december? Is this a good time to cruise to europe? I am thinking taking 10 days trip on ncl epic as solo. I plan take excursions from ship since this is my first time. I appreciate any feedbacks. I live in florida. So i plan to fly to spain a few days earlier to do sightseeing

i spent 10 days solo last year on the ncl jade in dec til the 24th. Being from the desert, i went out and bought "wooly" things. The weather on the cruise and ports was glorious. I spent all the time dragging coats around. I will never bring more than a "hoodie" next time and buy a plastic rain thing, if nessesary.

The trick is layers and adjusting some of your regular stuff.

You don't need loads of warm stuff

All your normal cruise type clothes as if you were inside a well air-conditioned ship.

Fleece one is enough.

Light weight rain jacket

In case it gets real cold some thermal/silks they take up no room.

(only really needed for those that feel the cold.)

Two pairs of outdoor shoes in case you get a pair wet

I did Spirit Canaries last winter - wonderful weather - and Jade Eastern this winter.......the weather was great until back in the Western Med, where I sat for an hour in the port of Naples (down the stairs, white sofa outside the tat shop) watching the biggest downpour I have seen for years. Gave up, went back to boat, and partook of more UDP for rest of the day.

Wind was only a problem (fnar fnar) at the top of the fire mountain in Lanzarotte.