Back to Back cruises from Southampton procedures

We have done many B2B cruises and they have always been well organised and easy.

You only need the set sail pass for the first one. Towards the end of the first cruise you will receive a letter regarding you being a consecutive cruiser which will have details of where to meet. The last couple of times we have been given a 30 minute internet voucher (to complete the survey) and sometimes a consecutive cruises lunch is served on the first day of cruise 2.

As you are changing rooms, you will need to pack all loose items but you can leave hanging items in the wardrobe. Your two stateroom attendants will move everything for you.

You will receive your new cards on the morning of the first day of the second cruise. It is your choice whether you stay on board or visit Southampton (the city is about 15 walking from the ship or £5 in a taxi)

If you leave the ship, you will have to go through security on your return but as you have your card you will be able to get straight on the ship.

We normally go and see the attendant for our new cabin on the last day of the first cruise, slip him some $$ and we have always had our room ready early.

You are allowed as B2B cruisers to go to your room early - just open the big doors and if anyone challenges you just tell them you are B2B.

A couple of times, we have moved ourselves just organising a time with the stateroom attendant.

Pete.

What is amazing is that that B2B experience sounds much better than what we faced on Oasis when we were just in-transit at Southampton last October. We were several hundred passengers that had transited from Rotterdam.

As RCI have a policy of 'zeroing out' each sailing on disembarkation, we were forced to exit the ship and wait in a holding area for almost 2 hours before being allowed back on the ship.

As RCI have a policy of 'zeroing out' each sailing on disembarkation, we were forced to exit the ship and wait in a holding area for almost 2 hours before being allowed back on the ship.

I wonder if this is the exception?

When we did B2B on the Independence in May 2014 we did not get off the ship.

Pete

I wonder if this is the exception?

When we did B2B on the Independence in May 2014 we did not get off the ship.

Pete

You usually have to get off the ship if it's a US port. Different rules out of the US.

It is a RCI policy to zero out their ships. The transit for Oasis was just poorly handled. I think your Indy experience is more common and how it should be handled.

I did the exact same thing on the Norwegian Getaway from Rotterdam and we did not have to get off the ship. The difference there was that NCL had representatives from the UK customs in Rotterdam and they placed a sticker on our sea pass indicating pre-clearance for in-transit. RCI did not arrange for this service.

Last Fall I walked to the mall on turnaround day, it wasn't a bad walk at all. There were quite a few people walking, there and back, even though it looks industrial I didn't feel concerned at all. I'm in my 60s, don't worry about walking alone, depending on my location. On the way back, I did walk with a group of people. I size an area up first, then go for it.

I stayed at the Premier so I had a vague idea, which direction to head as the hotel is next to the mall. Of course, depends on where the ship is docked in terms of convenience.

Edited by susancruzs