Carnival Liberty - new itinerary or temporary?

pghsteelerfan

When looking at the Carnival webcams on Liberty today, I noticed that she's in Dominica instead of the scheduled stop in St. Kitts, according to the itinerary on the webcam site and other port schedule sites. Anyone know if this is just a one time thing or if Dominica is now going to be on the regular itinerary on the southern itinerary out of San Juan?

Link to Liberty's webcam:

http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-liberty/cameras

Edited by pghsteelerfan

When looking at the Carnival webcams on Liberty today, I noticed that she's in Dominica instead of the scheduled stop in St. Kitts, according to the itinerary on the webcam site and other port schedule sites. Anyone know if this is just a one time thing or if Dominica is now going to be on the regular itinerary on the southern itinerary out of San Juan?

Link to Liberty's webcam:

http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-liberty/cameras

This is SO weird! I sure hope nothing is wrong with the ship especially since it had a small fire a few weeks ago. I did another search, and found a site that says it is in Guadelope? Not sure!!! If it has stopped going to St Kitts and now going to another port, I have not been notified and I sail in a month. I hope we find out soon!

This is SO weird! I sure hope nothing is wrong with the ship especially since it had a small fire a few weeks ago. I did another search, and found a site that says it is in Guadelope? Not sure!!! If it has stopped going to St Kitts and now going to another port, I have not been notified and I sail in a month. I hope we find out soon!

We did this itinerary on Valor in May 2013 and it is, by far, our favorite itinerary. That's why I occasionally check the webcam. When I saw Liberty sailing in this morning, I was thinking "that is NOT St. Kitts". I do know Liberty missed St. Kitts last week (actually saw it sailing away from St. Kitts last week from Liberty's webcam) and someone else who was on the cruise mentioned here in CC they missed their stop in St. Kitts due to windy conditions. I totally forgot about the fire a few weeks ago. I hope there is nothing wrong with Liberty related to that and that you get to all the ports on your cruise next month. You definitely picked a great itinerary.

Wow. I'm actually shocked. We missed Saint Kitts last week on Liberty and they said that there were no other port options. I'm actually a little upset. Did they go into Saint Kitts at all, like did they try? We sort of tried (approached the island but didn't try getting into the harbor). Wish they would've taken me to Dominica, one of my top bucket list places.

I never heard about a small fire onboard, and I was on it last week. What happened!?

I believe it was the repositioning cruise. It was St Martin day. There wasn't much concern and it didn't impact them leaving port in time.

I believe it was the repositioning cruise. It was St Martin day. There wasn't much concern and it didn't impact them leaving port in time.

Oh wow. I was on the first RT from San Juan and we heard nothing about it. No areas were blocked off or anything. Weird

Wow. I'm actually shocked. We missed Saint Kitts last week on Liberty and they said that there were no other port options. I'm actually a little upset. Did they go into Saint Kitts at all, like did they try? We sort of tried (approached the island but didn't try getting into the harbor). Wish they would've taken me to Dominica, one of my top bucket list places.

I actually saw Liberty sailing into St. Kitts last week (during the cruise you were on) and when I checked a little later, Liberty was sailing away from St. Kitts. It was your other post that mentioned that it was missed due to the winds. I did not see that this morning, just saw her sailing into Dominica. There were a lot of low clouds over the island but when Liberty got closer and those clouds started to clear, I knew that was not St. Kitts. Was in Dominica YEARS ago, our first cruise...definitely beautiful and we loved it. Dominica is not a bad replacement report.

Oh wow. I was on the first RT from San Juan and we heard nothing about it. No areas were blocked off or anything. Weird

I think someone reported seeing smoke come out of the stack and they made a report over the loud speaker that there was an engine fire but it was quickly extinguished and everyone just continued on their day. The person on CC said when they got off the ship there were fire trucks lined up. But apparently no issues to carry on

It wasn't a fire per se, it was friction from a bearing that caused the smoke while docked in St. Maarten (I think). It was replaced and the cruise went on with no delay or further issues.

Interesting though, I never realized winds were an issue for docking in St. Kitts. Has anyone been to Dominica, in my quick search doesn't seem to be much there, except it's renowned for scuba/snorkling due to the rocky beaches and depth of water.

My wife/daughter are currently on-board the Liberty. They were told St. Kitts was cancelled because winds predicted would not allow docking. They spent today in Dominica instead.

Thank you. Was wondering why they were in Dominica. Was there in 1992 on our first cruise and we really liked it and would love to get back. We were only there for a short time (about half day) but did get to the Emerald Pool. Also beautiful sailing out. Saw that this afternoon from the ship's webcam. I hope your wife and daughter enjoyed it.

It wasn't a fire per se, it was friction from a bearing that caused the smoke while docked in St. Maarten (I think). It was replaced and the cruise went on with no delay or further issues.

Interesting though, I never realized winds were an issue for docking in St. Kitts. Has anyone been to Dominica, in my quick search doesn't seem to be much there, except it's renowned for scuba/snorkling due to the rocky beaches and depth of water.

There usually isn't an issue with docking there due to winds but it does happen occasionally. A friend of mine was on Valor this week last year and they also missed St. Kitt's. She told me they went in then the ship headed back out and turned around and headed back again, no luck that time and after one more try (3rd time) with no luck, they ended up missing it. This same week last year, we were on Liberty and missed Grand Cayman due to strong winds and high swells. No replacement port. That was actually a year ago today, 4/10.

I'd love to see two ships sailing out of San Juan. One doing the current itinerary and another going to different islands (St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, Grenada).

We sail on the 26th. I hope we don't miss St Kitts as we have an excursion planned there. I have been to Dominica several times and I would be OK if we go there instead, but last minute? It's hard to plan something.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Liberty's spa? I have been on quite a few cruises (36 or 37) but I was interested if you can do a day pass or a week pass? If so, is it worth it?

We are sailing the Liberty in September. If our port was changed to Dominica I'd be fine with it, although I loved St Kitts! I had read so many reviews and comments that when we did the same itinerary on the Valor in 2013, I was the least excited about St Kitts and it was the last excursion we booked. It ended up being close to my favorite port. Of course the weather was absolutely perfect; the sky was the bluest blue you could imagine, with just a few puffy perfect clouds, we had a tour planned with Ashton (Royston's cousin) and no one else booked so our tour ended up being private and Ashton was a perfect guide. We had no issues at all that day! I'd love to have a repeat of that, but if we did end up in Dominica instead I think that would be ok too.

Does anyone know of any statistics on how often St Kitts is missed, or how often ports in general are missed?

We are sailing the Liberty in September. If our port was changed to Dominica I'd be fine with it, although I loved St Kitts! I had read so many reviews and comments that when we did the same itinerary on the Valor in 2013, I was the least excited about St Kitts and it was the last excursion we booked. It ended up being close to my favorite port. Of course the weather was absolutely perfect; the sky was the bluest blue you could imagine, with just a few puffy perfect clouds, we had a tour planned with Ashton (Royston's cousin) and no one else booked so our tour ended up being private and Ashton was a perfect guide. We had no issues at all that day! I'd love to have a repeat of that, but if we did end up in Dominica instead I think that would be ok too.

Does anyone know of any statistics on how often St Kitts is missed, or how often ports in general are missed?

Hi Valentinebaby1! I remember your review from this itinerary on Valor and LOVED it! St. Kitts being missed...not very often. I loved this itinerary so much that I'll check out the ship's webcam in the mornings. In almost two years, it appears St. Kitts has only been missed three times. The first was last year, this same week in April. I had a friend on Valor that time and they tried three times then gave up and she let me know they did not have a replacement. It was missed again these past two weeks, on Liberty's first sailings. The ports on the southern itinerary out of San Juan seem to be missed less often than others. I know St. Maarten can also be missed, but its rare. We were on Liberty, this same week, last April on a Western Caribbean cruise and we missed Grand Cayman (strong winds, large swells), but it's a tender port and does get missed more frequently than a lot of other ports. I hope you make all your ports on Liberty in September and do hope you'll do another review...again, I LOVED your first one.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you. Was wondering why they were in Dominica.

I'd love to see two ships sailing out of San Juan. One doing the current itinerary and another going to different islands (St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, Grenada).

I would love this as well. We are fans of cruising from San Juan and would love to see some other islands. I wonder if Tortola might also be an option.

We are on the May 3 Liberty sailing and I am going to check out things to do in Dominica, just in case. I wouldn't be upset to go there instead of St. Kitts.

Edited by lunagirl

I would love this as well. We are fans of cruising from San Juan and would love to see some other islands. I wonder if Tortola might also be an option.

We are on the May 3 Liberty sailing and I am going to check out things to do in Dominica, just in case. I wouldn't be upset to go there instead of St. Kitts.

Can't believe I forgot about Tortola, that would be a great one! :D We are also big fans of sailing out of San Juan and would definitely love to see more options with Carnival. We could try another cruise line but I don't want to because we love Carnival. I do like that Carnival seems to be keeping an eye on the weather situations and coming up with a back up plan for a replacement port ahead of time, as they did with going to Dominica, since the weather didn't look promising for successful docking in St. Kitts.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Hi Valentinebaby1! I remember your review from this itinerary on Valor and LOVED it! St. Kitts being missed...not very often. I loved this itinerary so much that I'll check out the ship's webcam in the mornings. In almost two years, it appears St. Kitts has only been missed three times. The first was last year, this same week in April. I had a friend on Valor that time and they tried three times then gave up and she let me know they did not have a replacement. It was missed again these past two weeks, on Liberty's first sailings. The ports on the southern itinerary out of San Juan seem to be missed less often than others. I know St. Maarten can also be missed, but its rare. We were on Liberty, this same week, last April on a Western Caribbean cruise and we missed Grand Cayman (strong winds, large swells), but it's a tender port and does get missed more frequently than a lot of other ports. I hope you make all your ports on Liberty in September and do hope you'll do another review...again, I LOVED your first one.

So you're about as obsessive with the webcams as my hubby Jkirkn is! lol We are sailing this time with my sister and her hubby so even though we've done this itinerary before, the ship will be new for us and traveling with my sister and brother in law will make it a new experience too. I'm so excited!

I remember loving your Valor review before we sailed. I'm sure I'll do another...it helps with the post-vacation blues!

Edited by valentinebaby1

Ditto

So you're about as obsessive with the webcams as my hubby Jkirkn is! lol We are sailing this time with my sister and her hubby so even though we've done this itinerary before, the ship will be new for us and traveling with my sister and brother in law will make it a new experience too. I'm so excited!

I remember loving your Valor review before we sailed. I'm sure I'll do another...it helps with the post-vacation blues!

LOL!!! Early in the mornings when I'm using the computer I'll check out the webcams just to see them sailing into the islands. It was your hubby, Jkirkn, who actually got screen shots from a Cozumel, MX, webcam Liberty last year, when we were on and when we arrived in Cozumel and added them to the Liberty review I did. I really appreciated that as it's nice to have pictures of a different perspective of our actual cruise. I've done the same for others I know going on cruises...if the webcams are working. I'd be happy to do the same for you on your Liberty cruise. I'm trying to arm twist DH for another cruise out of San Juan but he wants to try something else. We'll see. So glad you'll do another review and I'll definitely follow along.