Carnival Liberty - new itinerary or temporary?

pghsteelerfan

Apparently St kitts is getting missed again tommorrow. No word of another day at sea or Dominica.

Appears construction at port is also influencing this not just wind.

Celebrity and Royal docked there earlier in the week, I wonder if negotiations are falling through....guess we'll find out.

Carnival Liberty - 4/14/12 - 4/21/12 - San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk - First Cruise

Carnival Breeze - 3/16/13 - 3/24/13 - St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau

Carnival Ecstasy - 3/31/14 - 4/5/14 - Key West and Cozumel

Carnival Sunshine - 4/17/14 - 4/19/14 - Freeport - PC Inaugural

Carnival Liberty - 4/19/15 - 4/26/15 - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten - Gold Cruise

Apparently St Kitts is getting missed again tomorrow.

No word of another day at sea or Dominica.

Appears construction at port is also influencing this not just wind.

This is the windy, kite-flying time of year in these islands.

Wind at St.Kitts is always a docking problem, even on a "less-windy" day if that ever happens!

I have never been thru St.Kitts that it wasn't blowing a fair-weather 'gale' :eek:

The Port Zante pier site is wide-open to cross breezes

and there was an incident 2-3 years ago where a Celebrity ship (I think) couldn't get un-stuck from the pier

due to the sheer force of the wind!

It took the Capt. something like over-an-hour to get the ship away from the dock

and he scraped the ship, in the process....bet he wasn't happy.

At Port Zante, I have seen the ship's flags on the mast stre-e-etched out near-flat

making a racket!

Windy_Port_Zante.jpg

This shot taken at Port Zante, before 0700 hrs.

before the wind gets up for the day -at Port Zante. ;)

Edited by Aplmac

This was from the Carnival Page:

The Carnival Liberty has experienced a technical issue with the ship thruster system (side propellers that help the ship move sideways) which is important in safely docking the ship under certain wind conditions. Our scheduled call in St. Kitts for the current cruise will be replaced by a visit to Dominica.

The port of St. Kitts is more exposed to unfavorable prevailing wind conditions and is not able to provide tug assistance to ensure a successful docking operation. All the other ship systems and services are operating normally.

The Carnival Liberty was also forced to cancel the prior two scheduled calls in St. Kitts. The wind conditions in St. Kitts for these two calls exceeded the limits that the Captain deemed to be viable for a successful docking operation. These cancellations were required by a combination of the higher winds and some preliminary concern about the thruster issue.

Plans to complete the necessary repairs to the thruster system are currently underway and additional information regarding itinerary adjustments will be provided once these plans have been completed. - Mischelle

Edited by babsee101

I wonder how long it takes to fix a thruster issue...Liberty is booked for September. Do you think I should be looking for excursions in Dominica?

Funny thing is we already have all of our excursions booked except for St Kitts.

Did the Miracle have thrusting issues last summer while doing the Alaska cruises? Didn't that cause a bunch of itinerary/port changes on the Alaska and Hawaii cruises? Didn't that go on for months? I wonder if it took until it's recent dry dock to be fixed...

this leaves me worried about other problems with Liberty :(

I wonder how long it takes to fix a thruster issue...Liberty is booked for September. Do you think I should be looking for excursions in Dominica?

Funny thing is we already have all of our excursions booked except for St Kitts.

Did the Miracle have thrusting issues last summer while doing the Alaska cruises? Didn't that cause a bunch of itinerary/port changes on the Alaska and Hawaii cruises? Didn't that go on for months? I wonder if it took until it's recent dry dock to be fixed...

this leaves me worried about other problems with Liberty :(

This leaves me worried about other problems as well. Especially since I have been hearing for months there is a bad vibration aft and some people have reported feeling as if their teeth were chattering.

I sail in 23 days, if St Kitts is missed and I get to go to Dominica, I will be slightly dissappointed as I have never done St Kitts, but would welcome Dominica over an extra sea day. I hope there is some communication soon as to what their plans are and when the Liberty is expected to be fixed.

I will start looking at things to do in Dominica as my back-up plan!

Glad they are at least adding a substitution port if conditions forecast for St. Kitts aren't good. We were in Dominica in 1992 and really thought it was beautiful. I've seen other reviews, with pictures, where Dominica was a port of call and I certainly wouldn't mind going back there. It used to be on the regular southern itinerary out of San Juan when Victory was doing that route, which was the same except they stopped at Dominica instead of having a sea day, so 6 ports. The Splendor repositioning cruise last November stopped in Dominica as well and after seeing the pictures from those reviews, I definitely want to get back there, and to Martinique too.

We were on Liberty (western Caribbean cruise) last April and also noticed the vibration but thought it was just due to the roughest seas we've had while on a cruise. It wasn't that bad (no barf bags out), but bad enough to really make it rocky, Deck's 11 and up were closed most of the week and we missed a port. The vibration wasn't constant but we did notice it.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I'm sailing on the may 31st sailing . Hope we are able to dock in St Kitts . Been to Dominica almost 10 yrs ago and i enjoyed it (we did river tubing SUPER FUN !) . But to be honest an extra sea day would be good too . As long as they don't mess with St Lucia I'm good

I've just read an email from Carnival to a TA on my sailing FB group, saying all sailings to 28 June will be effected and they are working on an alternate port.

Would you be able to copy and paste that letter? I haven't seen anything on carnival and you would assume carnival would notify all of the upcoming sailings.

We were on the Liberty last week and went to Dominica instead of St Kitts. I was actually jumping up and down when we got the announcement. I liked St Kitts but Dominica is our absolute favorite island hands down! Since Carnival hardly ever goes there, we were thrilled with the opportunity to introduce our kids to our favorite....they loved it too! There are so many different things you can do, I really wish Carnival went there more! Love, love, love it!

We were on the Liberty last week and went to Dominica instead of St Kitts. I was actually jumping up and down when we got the announcement. I liked St Kitts but Dominica is our absolute favorite island hands down! Since Carnival hardly ever goes there, we were thrilled with the opportunity to introduce our kids to our favorite....they loved it too! There are so many different things you can do, I really wish Carnival went there more! Love, love, love it!

Our sailing that leaves tomorrow will go to Antigua instead of St. Kitts, [emoji20] I was hoping for Dominica.

Carnival Liberty - 4/14/12 - 4/21/12 - San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk - First Cruise

Carnival Breeze - 3/16/13 - 3/24/13 - St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau

Carnival Ecstasy - 3/31/14 - 4/5/14 - Key West and Cozumel

Carnival Sunshine - 4/17/14 - 4/19/14 - Freeport - PC Inaugural

Carnival Liberty - 4/19/15 - 4/26/15 - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten - Gold Cruise

We are just off of the Liberty...and like people are saying we mussed St. Kitts but it was replaced with Dominica. They said it was because of a problem with the thrusters. They also used tugs on several of the stops.

We are just off of the Liberty...and like people are saying we mussed St. Kitts but it was replaced with Dominica. They said it was because of a problem with the thrusters. They also used tugs on several of the stops.

Thanks for the heads up.

Trying to decide our cruise for June. We were looking at the Liberty.

How was the vibration of the ship? Was the shaking of the ship out of the ordinary?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for sharing. I'm monitoring all the chatter about the Liberty, since my next cruise will be on that ship in October. There's the vibration, the little fire, and now the thruster issue. I wonder if any of them are connected. And I wonder if they'll all be fixed in 6 months' time. I guess we'll see.

We were on the Liberty last week and went to Dominica instead of St Kitts.

I was actually jumping up and down when we got the announcement.

I liked St Kitts but Dominica is our absolute favorite island hands down!

Since Carnival hardly ever goes there,

we were thrilled with the opportunity to introduce our kids to our favorite....they loved it too!

There are so many different things you can do,

I really wish Carnival went there more! Love, love, love it!

I'll bet the folks on Dominica are thrilled to have a Carnival ship calling again, too.

Dominica doesn't exactly have a rip-roaring economy!!

Please help them any way you can, even if you just buy something at the pier!

How was the vibration of the ship? ===> None.

Was the shaking of the ship out of the ordinary?

For Liberty's first Southern Carib. cruise out of San Juan PR, late March 2015

we were booked in Ocean View Cabin 2279, on the starboard side

- a little fwd. of the halfway mark along the hull.

No vibration(that usually happens after, near engines, props, generators, etc)

but we did have a rather annoying creaking/groaning sound

coming from somewhere just below us, which went on the whole night through!

I recall feeling sorry for the folks in OV Cabin 1267, directly under us

and who surely had the source of the noise Right Next To Them! :eek:

I associated it with...possibly...the stabiliser?

We were only on board for 3 nites (P.Rico to Barbados)

but the noise got worse, night after night!

Won't be booking that cabin again any time soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Trying to decide our cruise for June. We were looking at the Liberty.

How was the vibration of the ship? Was the shaking of the ship out of the ordinary?

Thanks in advance.

there didn't seem to be any extraordinary vibration it seem to ride real nice