Couple of questions about NCL

We wouldn't mind doing that. If he does anything stupid though (drinks too much...) we will revoke it. Is it an option to give him a daily limit?

Yes just go to customer service with your son and both of your ID's and they will put a sticker on his card to be able to drink beer and wine. I did it the first day of the cruise.

I always check in a carry-on. I fill it with cokes and water. I don't like pepsi.

Edited by monkeybone

Yes just go to customer service with your son and both of your ID's and they will put a sticker on his card to be able to drink beer and wine. I did it the first day of the cruise.

I always check in a carry-on. I fill it with cokes and water. I don't like pepsi.

He will be a happy camper!

It's nice they offer this service. My experience has always been you had to carry it on yourself and then tote it around until your room was ready. :(

He will be a happy camper!

It's nice they offer this service. My experience has always been you had to carry it on yourself and then tote it around until your room was ready. :(

That would be a pain! NCL is pretty good about having the cabins ready soon after you board.....On my last few cruises anyway. The luggage delivery does take a few hours. I always keep anything important and a change of clothes in my big travel purse. If your son wants to swim the first day have him bring that stuff in his carry-on.

We wouldn't mind doing that. If he does anything stupid though (drinks too much...) we will revoke it. Is it an option to give him a daily limit?

I did not give my son a limit.....after two beers and the rocking of the ship he knew his limit! LOL

Don't forget to join your roll call and see if others are traveling with young adults 18-20. Then they can meet up after boarding or at the M&G.

I suppose it is all about personal preference. We are going on our first NCL cruise this August. We have only traveled on Princess. I have been amazed at how nasty some of the NCL boards are!! (This one included) I have never seen a such a mean thread over Coke versus Pepsi. It's really no one's business how many sodas the OP drinks. Period. They asked for advice about how to carry it on, not how many to drink.

Just as I was ready to disregard NCL because they serve Pepsi products, which I don't like at all, I priced them once again before booking another Carnival cruise. They are almost identical in price to the two Carnival cruises I'm looking at, but includes the Ultimate Beverage Package. Since I've never cruised with them before I have a couple of questions.

I would be booking now for summer of 2016. If I understand correctly, if rates go down I would be able to cancel before final payment (is that 90 days before sailing?) and rebook at the better rate, but losing any perks (UBP) I currently have. Is this correct? Would I incur any penalties if we cancel?

We are looking at the Getaway. Is this a newer ship? A nice ship? Would our room have a refrigerator? If so, would my cabin steward remove their products so I could keep my Diet Cokes in there? Is it cold? I ask because Carnivals aren't but they serve Coke products so we don't need it.

We will be taking our 18 year old son. Do they have anything planned for the 18-20 age group?

This is only apx. $150 more than the Carnival Valor, both balcony rooms. I know the Valor is an older ship, but the port is a few hours closer to home, I know what I'm getting with Carnival and they have Coke products. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a glass of wine or frozen cocktail whenever I want without worrying about a growing bar tab. Oh and we always buy the soda package on Carnival which will make the costs nearly the same.

We are also looking at the Carnival Dream, which has 3 of the same ports but with an extra sea day instead of Costa Maya which I would like to do.

ok, you don't actually have to rebook if there is a rate drop prior to final payent which is usually 75 days out but can be 90 and no,that age group 0f18 to 21 is often igonored by cruise lines regardless of which one it is.

That would be a pain! NCL is pretty good about having the cabins ready soon after you board.....On my last few cruises anyway. The luggage delivery does take a few hours. I always keep anything important and a change of clothes in my big travel purse. If your son wants to swim the first day have him bring that stuff in his carry-on.

Based on past experiences, he won't swim.

I always roll my cosmetic bag around because I don't trust them with it. It has all my make-up, shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, flat iron, curling iron, styling products, hairbrushes, toothbrushes, contacts, glasses, meds, etc. All the stuff I can't live without and would want to have to replace! lol That's one thing I don't mind holding onto for a few hours.

I did not give my son a limit.....after two beers and the rocking of the ship he knew his limit! LOL

Don't forget to join your roll call and see if others are traveling with young adults 18-20. Then they can meet up after boarding or at the M&G.

Good point! lol

That would be great! He would have a lot more fun if he could find someone his age to hang out with. He always has in the past, but that was when he went to the kids club.

I suppose it is all about personal preference. We are going on our first NCL cruise this August. We have only traveled on Princess. I have been amazed at how nasty some of the NCL boards are!! (This one included) I have never seen a such a mean thread over Coke versus Pepsi. It's really no one's business how many sodas the OP drinks. Period. They asked for advice about how to carry it on, not how many to drink.

I've noticed that too, and I'm not sure why. We certainly enjoy our NCL cruises and find the other passengers just like passengers on other lines. But there seems to be a trend on CC starting. I read a post a week or so ago about a passenger being embarrassed by how the CC Meet & Greet went, with passengers taking the staff to task for various things. I'll watch the roll calls closely and if any of the more strident complainers are on my cruise I'll probably pass on the meet & greet. NCL may have to reconsider sanctioning them as well, as CC doesn't seem to care much about how mean people are to each other.

We like NCL much better than Princess; if things calm down here and you can post a review without the dogs of war coming out, I'd love to hear your opinion on NCL as a new comer when you get back. We are considering Princess again for their British Isles cruise maybe next year.

That says a lot coming from someone like you. :) We have always been happy with Carnival, but recently have decided to see what some other lines are like since so many seem to think Carnival is the worst. I can't say Princess was a better experience, just very different. I liked some things better on each line. Looking forward to trying RC this summer and then NCL next summer.

The different lines are more alike than they are different. Like you, I've enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises--wouldn't have gone on so many if I didn't like them! A lot of people who have negative things to say about Carnival have never even stepped on board a CCL ship. I was on the NCL Jade out of Venice for my first NCL cruise and loved it. Next, I'm on the Epic, and I'm sure that will be a very different experience.

Have wonderful cruise!

Good point! lol

That would be great! He would have a lot more fun if he could find someone his age to hang out with. He always has in the past, but that was when he went to the kids club.

Yes I know I wish NCL and other lines would have a few planned activities for that age group 18-20. My son is 19 and met a lot of friends on our last BA cruise the first night.

He had a blast......as long as we all ate dinner together, I was happy. I was very active on our roll call.

Edited by monkeybone

The thing is where do you stop that? Should there be special activities for 20-25 year olds, and 26-30 year olds etc? At some point, adult is adult. The legal drinking age is 18 here in Quebec so at 18 you can do whatever any other adult does, the cruise is what you make it, there are a lot of activities on the ship, they're just not specifically targetted to a tiny age group. At 18 or 30 you know if you like trivia, or dancing, or just laying by the pool, or bowling etc. If he's outgoing he'll find friends, if he's shy and introverted then it might be a bit harder.

The thing is where do you stop that? Should there be special activities for 20-25 year olds, and 26-30 year olds etc? At some point, adult is adult. The legal drinking age is 18 here in Quebec so at 18 you can do whatever any other adult does, the cruise is what you make it, there are a lot of activities on the ship, they're just not specifically targetted to a tiny age group. At 18 or 30 you know if you like trivia, or dancing, or just laying by the pool, or bowling etc. If he's outgoing he'll find friends, if he's shy and introverted then it might be a bit harder.

They have planned activities for kids and teens up to 17. Then they have family activities and adult activities. Single cruisers, FOD, FOB they even have a club for teens 13-17 Entourage. But nothing for the 18-20 group.

An adult teen get together 18-20 would be great on the first night of the cruise IMO.

The legal drinking age in most states in the USA is 21.

So at 21 they can do all the adult activities not all families would or should allow their 18-20 year old to drink.

Edited by monkeybone

They have planned activities for kids and teens up to 17. Then they have family activities and adult activities. Single cruisers, FOD, FOB they even have a club for teens 13-17 Entourage. But nothing for the 18-20 group.

An adult teen get together 18-20 would be great on the first night of the cruise IMO.

The legal drinking age in most states in the USA is 21.

So at 21 they can do all the adult activities not all families would or should allow their 18-20 year old to drink.

But whether or not you decide to allow your 18 year old to drink, the point is they ARE an adult. So they can do the adult activities, you do not HAVE to drink to participate in adult activities, there are plenty of sober adults on the ship too. Almost every activity that is organized is OK for an 18 year old to do, so there's plenty to do. I don't agree with 21 as a drinking age, I think it's ridiculously high but that's not really the point.