Taxi to Ballard Locks - Seattle?

CruisinMama7

I'm staying pre-cruise at a downtown Seattle hotel (one day only) and want to go to the Ballard Locks. I'm assuming the quickest way to get there is by taxi. Does anybody know if taxis are stationed near the entrance for the return back to the hotel or will I need to call for a taxi? Approximately how much time should I allot to properly see this area? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

I'm staying pre-cruise at a downtown Seattle hotel (one day only) and want to go to the Ballard Locks. I'm assuming the quickest way to get there is by taxi. Does anybody know if taxis are stationed near the entrance for the return back to the hotel or will I need to call for a taxi? Approximately how much time should I allot to properly see this area? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

It's very unlikely that there will be any taxis waiting at the locks. Personally I'd take the bus, around 35 min. under most conditions.

Go to http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ and put in "3rd and Pike" (or wherever downtown you're near) and "Ballard Locks" in the search boxes and you'll get the trip information. You'll have to change buses at some point, but $2.50 is going to be cheaper than a cab.

As for the locks, I'd probably allocate an hour and a half to see the gardens, watch a cycle of the locks, visit the fish ladder, etc.

Not your question, but if you were prepared to shell out for a cab and have the time, you might consider one of Argosy's Locks cruises instead - http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/locks-cruise/ You'll get a terrific view of the central waterfront, the Lake Washington Ship Canal and locks, the big Alaska crab boats at Fishermen's Terminal, and all the houseboats on Lake Union. It's a great tour.

I concur - Ballard is a great neighborhood and I wouldn't hesitate at all to use the bus. I also think the Argosy locks cruise is their best itinerary and worth doing.

Seattle cabs are notorious for not showing up when you call. Use one of the TNCs like Lyft or UberX and you're guaranteed to be able to get a ride when you want one.

You can take 17 route that goes right by the Ballard locks.

A bus that runs more frequently is the No 18 that you can get off on 24th and Market and a easy walk 4 blocks west to the locks. These routes are on the north side of the Ballard Locks. I think there is a bus route on the south side, but the walk is longer.

Seeing the Ballard Locks is well worth it- the locks itself, the salmon ladder- always loaded with salmon, and numerous seals outside the locks catching salmon and the various gardens and trees from all over the world.

You can take 17 route that goes right by the Ballard locks.

A bus that runs more frequently is the No 18 that you can get off on 24th and Market and a easy walk 4 blocks west to the locks. These routes are on the north side of the Ballard Locks. I think there is a bus route on the south side, but the walk is longer.

Seeing the Ballard Locks is well worth it- the locks itself, the salmon ladder- always loaded with salmon, and numerous seals outside the locks catching salmon and the various gardens and trees from all over the world.

Ballard is a great neighborhood for a walk. If you're going all the way over there, it's worth it! After you've seen the locks, you can come out and turn right on NW Market Street (it might be called NW 54th Street at that point), and walk east about six blocks. Then turn right down Ballard Avenue. There are some great little shops there, some fun dive bars (Bad Albert's, Hattie's Hat, Conor Byrne, The Lock & Keel), and some of Seattle's best high-end restaurants (Volterra, the Walrus and the Carpenter, Bastille) as well as some great cheap eats (Other Coast Cafe, La Carta de Oaxaca). On Sundays, they hold the Ballard Farmer's Market--my favorite one in town--on here Ballard Avenue.

Oh--and if you just stick around the locks, the Lockspot Cafe right by the entrance is a great place for a beverage, or a bowl of smoked salmon chowder, or a plate of excellent fish & chips.

I want to thank each and every one for their suggestions. Not only did I receive an answer to my questions, but also additional info regarding nearby restaurants and side trips to consider. Since I have only 6 hours to see the locks, the Public Market, the waterfront near our downtown hotel, I'll have to bypass the bus option and arrange transportation with Eastside for Hire.

I made airline reservations for our Alaska cruise last September and now I truly regret not allowing additional time to spend in the Seattle area. I had no idea there is so much to see and do there. :cool:

instead of cramming everything into your one pre-cruise day, I highly suggest doing the Market on the morning of your cruise. This will also help you avoid the market crowds ... it get unbearable by 11am !

You can check out of the hotel, then have the Desk hold onto your luggage for a few hours. Since you're staying downtown, the pier is only 15 minutes away. No need to head to the ship until 1 or 2pm.

Maybe start at the original Starbucks, then pick up crumpets or baked goods to snack on. Wander around the market for a few hrs, pick up a bouquet of flowers for your cabin, return to the hotel for your luggage at noon, then get a cab to the pier.