US cruisers: Dollars or local currency?

Velvetwater

Gee I don't know.

It will depend on where you are gong, but let me ask this

If I come to the US and try to pay with my plastic Aus$ $1 and $2 gold coins, let alone our silver coins, how far do you think I'll get.

The Thomas Cook Money Exchange at the airport.;)

I just wondered what US cruisers thoughts were on currency when travelling overseas/on a cruise (Although I have a suspicion on what a majority will say). I understand the convenience of using US dollars but surely its not worth paying an expensive premium for goods when shopping? I have instances where I have saved at least 20% because I used local coin and this has been the case throughout my experiences (I imagine in rare instances the dollar may get you a better price when the country has a poor economy).

What do you use and why?

Have you ever thought about changing that?

In Europe we always use local currency.

In Caribbean we use dollars.

I use local currency everywhere except the Caribbean islands where the dollar is readily and eagerly accepted. I wouldn't dream of trying to use US dollars in Europe, Asia, French Polynesia, etc. The mere thought is utterly absurd.

In Britain u will have to use the Pound sterling.

Yes I know ;)

I dont think its the what a place accepts but what people use. I can still remember my shock when I saw a shop in Russia that accepted dollars although my maths told me anyone paid in dollars paid 30% more :).

I have also spotted the odd shop in Western Europe that accept dollars (These were all near large ports by the way).

Similarly though my aunt and uncle told me the tale of a large family of Germans demanding they use Euros in Croatia when in a tiny cafe off the beaten track.

I do agree with Sofia though...buying local currency shows a certain amount of respect somehow as well as snagging bargains.

Always the local currency for me. Oh, I just got off an Alitalia flight; they gave out envelopes to put your extra coins for donation to UNICEF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BA does the same thing. Apparently it's quite common with the Euro carriers.