Milan questions....

easybay

Hi all - well, I know that Milan isn't a port - but since y'all give such better advice than on Tripadvisor, I thought I'd give these questions a shot.

We are looking to book a car service from MXP into Milan. I really don't want to mess with the train after an afternoon flight leaving MIA getting into MXP 6:00am. Can anyone offer any recommendations for car services? Also, I've been trying to figure out how to book tickets to see Da Vinci - Last Supper, and not doing very well - any help would be appreciated!

I think you can start to book the Last Supper two months in advance. As far as car service - check with your hotel to see if they offer pick up service. I have done this in Paris and Rome and it was worth the money IMHO.

I know you said you didn't want to use the train, but it is very easy and might be better in Milan since you won't need to find parking,etc. We also flew in, our flight was to arrive at 8am, but was 5 hours late!! Just walked down to the Malpensa Express station, bought a ticket and got on the train. It takes about 1 hour to Milano Centrale and is comfortable and easy. Just a thought, but whatever you chose, have fun.

We may consider the train - I just know....us. I will probably sleep for 3-4 hours but IDK about DH - he won't and will be wiped out....I just don't want to deal. I'm hesitant to book thru the hotel. My previous experience booking thru the hotel literally DOUBLED the price. I'd prefer to book from a reliable recommended web source.

i have used airport-transfers-direct dot com several times in Milan, from Linate to Rho. It was €80 for two people in a Mercedes E class. Once we got a taxi from Rho to Linate and it was €85, so using that as the yardstick, it appears that airport transfers direct give good value.

From Malpensa, I have always used the train, as it is so much further out of central Milan than Linate is.

For what it's worth, we have the opposite situation...transportation from our hotel to MXP for departure. I checked some of the online services and then emailed our hotel and the hotel cost was slightly less than the online services. It is still 80Euros for the two of us. I would use the train, but by the end of three weeks traveling, give me the least amount of baggage handling I can get.

It is worth checking with them.

I will add my voice to those who are saying to use the train rather than driving. Train is easy - is is co-located with the airport and the trains will arrive every half hour.

I am assuming that there is a ticket machine that will have a button to press for instructions in English - just like all other Italian stations. However, I have just bought a ticket from the ticket office.

If you are already tired, the last thing you want is to negotiate the traffic in an Italian city!

I am assuming that you are sufficiently price-sensitive to not want a chauffeur driven car here.

Try to book tickets for Last Supper via tickitaly website . If that doesnt work, then on same sight book half day Milan sights tour that includes a visit to the Last Supper . Thats another way to get in if it is sold out on your day of choice .

Unfortunately tickets are only available at 8:45 and 9 am the morning we arrive. Our flight gets in at 6 AM - so by the time we land (if our flight's on time), go through immigration, pick up luggage, get to hotel, store our bags, we would be cutting it pretty close to get there in time for the tour. It really sucks that the next day there is only 1 tour ticket avail at 10 am, and the next avail is at 3:30. We want to be on our way to Venice by that time. I have been on about 10 other tour company websites to see if there are any other tours available. Nothing. I assume it's because of the Milan Fair going on and just a lot of tourists.....next time I guess!

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I can get tickets to the Last Supper at 8:30 am on Thursday from numerous outlets, but we need them for the afternoon. And on Friday I can get them for 3pm -but want to be in Venice by then. I have read several times now about just walking up later in the afternoon - so thanks Brunello for adding this suggestion - definitely worth a try.

I am happy to say that I found tickets for The Last Supper. The best part is that we didn't have to pay the 60+ Euro for the 3 hour tour - which I'm sure neither of us will be up to. I found the website Select Italy - which offered 2 tickets for $36 - in the afternoon. So even if our flight is ridiculously delayed, and we miss the viewing, we are only out $36 and not 126 Euro for a tour. I also decided to book a car service MXP to our hotel (95 Euro). So hopefully this all turns out - I will update when we get home if either are a bust!

• 2 weeks later...

Success!! Select Italy was a score! We walked up to the ticket window (cut it close by arriving 10 minutes prior) were handed our tickets for our time, and joined the queue for 1:45. The doors promptly opened at 1:45, and closed right behind us. You can't be late for this venue! Taxi from MXP was well worth the E after the long flight too.