Buying Cigarettes onboard - Beware of expiration dates

Playa Cofi

On the 12th I returned from a 7 day cruise aboard the Splendor. While onboard I purchased Marlboro Light 100's from the Fun Shop.

My husband who did not go on the cruise and is not a smoker made a comment the other day when I opened the carton and smoked a cigarette. He said it had a very strong smell.

I checked the code on the bottom of the pack and found out that my cigarettes were made on Nov. 7, 2014.

17 MONTHS OLD.

No wonder they are so cheap. There are numerous websites online that explain how to decipher the codes.

Needless to say the cigs got thrown away.

I don't know why I know an answer or explanation for cigarette dates, but here goes. I smoke cigars, never have tried a cigarette. I was doing some reading awhile back on bringing back dried cigars, and someone mentioned dried cigarettes and the expiration date. Previously manufacturers stated that cigarettes had a shelf life of 12-14 months from their production date, and then changed it to 6 months. The cigarettes will dry out after 6 months, and carry a "hard" taste, along with a stronger smell after 6 months. With cigars, the older the better, usually if it was kept in the right conditions, which cigarettes, not much so, so I would definitely check the date on the cartons.

Edited by sjcruiser

On the 12th I returned from a 7 day cruise aboard the Splendor. While onboard I purchased Marlboro Light 100's from the Fun Shop.

My husband who did not go on the cruise and is not a smoker made a comment the other day when I opened the carton and smoked a cigarette. He said it had a very strong smell.

I checked the code on the bottom of the pack and found out that my cigarettes were made on Nov. 7, 2014.

17 MONTHS OLD.

No wonder they are so cheap. There are numerous websites online that explain how to decipher the codes.

Needless to say the cigs got thrown away.

Might have wanted to refer to a calendar before you tossed those. November 2014 was only 5 months ago! This is 2015 not 2016. :D