Alaska Cruise Formal Niights

UL98874

We have our 4th Alaska cruise this coming Augus, this time with another couple that are friends.. We'll be the foursome in tuxes for men and cocktail or long gowns for ladies.

Wear what you're comfortable in, there will be some in tuxes, some in suits, some in sport coats and some in slacks. Ladies will range from gowns to.cocktail dresses to suits to pants suits to skirt and blouse. Go with what you like.

Enjoy your sailing.

We've been on many Alaskan cruises & yes some people don't mind lugging along the extra suitcase filled with all the things they need for those 2 formal dinners but at the same time many people just make due with simple but dressy items and get by very nicely.

If dressing up makes you happy then go right ahead & pack everything you think you might need but realize that you can get by with less and no one will say a word except some people on this board.

In the last 6 years we see fewer tuxes and gowns on ALL itineraries. It's not just Alaska. The majority of men wear either suit or sport coat and tie.

And a minority of ladies wear long gowns.

But yes what you choose to wear is up to you. Enjoy dressing in a REAL formal manner. You won't be alone.;)

Lots of cruisers assume it is much more casual, because of what they see around the ship, not necessarily the dining room. With the casual areas for dining, LOTS of people dress casually on formal night, because they are choosing to eat out of the mdr.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I do appreciate. I think I will stay with the long gowns. I have a new Mother of the Groom gown I would love to wear again. Of course this is assuming I have room in the luggage. LOL

I always wear a long gown and DH wears a tux. We're both classical musicians and that's basically office attire for us anyway. We've never felt awkward on any itinerary. You'll look and feel great and enjoy the evenings. Have fun!

Cheers,

Kirsten