Williamsburg & Jamestown - Yep I'm Late

Departing Monday, the 4th, on Brilliance out of Tampa on a transatlantic. First port will be Norfolk on Thursday, May 7. We have rented a car as we like to explore on our own. Our time in port will be 11a - 7p. Do you think we have time to drive up to Williamsburg and Jamestown and have any time at all to explore? I know it would be a whirlwind trip. Is it an easy drive - road, typical traffic, etc.?

Departing Monday, the 4th, on Brilliance out of Tampa on a transatlantic. First port will be Norfolk on Thursday, May 7. We have rented a car as we like to explore on our own. Our time in port will be 11a - 7p. Do you think we have time to drive up to Williamsburg and Jamestown and have any time at all to explore? I know it would be a whirlwind trip. Is it an easy drive - road, typical traffic, etc.?

I would not do it on a weekday. Traffic between Norfolk and Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown is often horrible, especially during the week. Route 64 is the main highway, and it's usually pretty crowded. If you did decide to go, I'd do it first thing, and be prepared to only spend a couple of hours and head back by 3 pm or so. Yorktown would probably be closest for you to get to, followed by Williamsburg, and then Jamestown. Jamestown is also huge and there's a lot to see - probably too much for just a couple hour trip.

Norfolk itself has some cool stuff. It's been many years since I've been there (used to live in Williamsburg but moved near DC in 2002 - still have friends who live in the Williamsburg area who commute to Norfolk, though), but there was a pretty good maritime museum, a great art museum with a fabulous tiffany stained glass collection, and a beautiful botanic garden.

No..it's at least 45 mins. just to get there. You won't have time to do anything but drive. Jamestown and Williamsburg are full-day affairs. If there is an issue with the tunnel (which happens more than you might think!), then all bets are off....you could be sitting on the bridge, watching your ship sail out into the Bay....

Edited by cb at sea

There are 2 tunnels that can be used, Norfolk tunnel or the M&M tunnel. If you are determined to go just pick one, Williamsburg is the closest.

Otherwise you could do this, very nice, http://www.virginiaaquarium.com/, or this http://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/, or this which is very nice http://www.nps.gov/york/

I lived in Yorktown for many years, the little downtown area on the York river has been completely redone with a very nice restaurant, plus some other places to eat and a beach. The battlefield area is nice to visit and the park service has lots of things to do there. Easily a day trip from Norfolk, allow 1 hour over and back depending on traffic

Edited by setsail

I would not recommend going that far in those little hours. You would have time to get there and back, but not enough time to explore. The traffic is terrible in the time you'd have to be back to the ship. Just do something closer.

I'll add my two cents as well. If you had longer in port I would definitely go for it. But since you don't, I would explore on the "south" side (which is what that area is called). I live just across the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel). The traffic is horrendous most days at supper time. In addition, you'll run into a bottleneck on the way to Williamsburg once you've passed through the HRBT. Williamsburg is wonderful to visit, but you won't have enough time to do anything honestly with such a short port call.

Norfolk area (very close to the port) has some very nice things to do.

There's the USS Wisconsin battleship close by which offers daily tours.

Nauticus is a really nice nautical themed museum.

Norfolk Botanical Gardens is in full bloom and is beautiful this time of year.

MacArthur Mall is very close to the port. It's an upscale shopping mall.

Ghent is nearby with boutiques and great little eateries.

Honestly, there's plenty in downtown norfolk area that would give you a very nice port day with little driving and certainly without the HRBT traffic!

Enjoy Norfolk!

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but we recently did the drive from NoVa to Virginia Beach, and the traffic was atrocious as soon as we got past Williamsburg. I certainly wouldn't risk it. With that said, if you aren't interested in exploring Norfolk, have you considered Virginia Beach? We absolutely loved the Virginia Aquarium.

I live in Williamsburg and have made the trip from the 'burg to Norfolk in 45 minutes. I have also made the trip in 3 hours! Even if you got to Williamsburg in a relatively reasonable amount of time, you really would not have the time you need to explore the town.

Hope the TA is progressing smashingly and managing to dodge to rough patches that seem to be clobbering the Atlantic now. What did you wind up doing in Norfolk?

Edited by HiCSailor