Epic - UBP - VAT?

electro

back from the EPIC may 27th out of Rome with UBP and not a single cent charged.. everything is included and we made good use of it for sure ....

best drink for me is the Acai Caipirinha at Moderno .....try it ....

I'll second that, 2 of us had free UBP 2 paid for it not VAT on any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks both....really helpful!! Los like April wasn't a glitch then!!

Off to do my sums! ! ;)

• 5 months later...
Any update on this? I go on the Epic the 9th of December and chose the free UBP add on. Roundtrip Barcelona and all EU port of calls

Sailed Epic in October, UBP, all EU ports. No VAT charged. Cruise was from Southampton though.

Edited by rosebuds
add'l info

Sailed Epic in October, UBP, all EU ports. No VAT charged. Cruise was from Southampton though.

Southampton is EU so would expect UK VAT. Did you call at any non EU ports on the way to the med?

VAT law is complex (good for a few pence in fees ;))and I have avoided getting involved in these threads as there are inaccuracies about how VAT works.

NCL does understand the laws and they do seem to get it right on our cruises.

NCL does understand the laws and they do seem to get it right on our cruises.
I have taken two Europe cruises this year out of Barcelona, one going to Morocco and the Canary Islands, one staying wholly within the EU. Spanish VAT was charged on UBP orders on the Morocco cruise, and not on the EU cruise… :rolleyes: I don't know if NCL fully understands the law (but I am sure they understand it better than anyone who contributes here), I am just happy that they have now apparently decided — whatever the reason — to stop adding VAT for UBP holders.

I have taken two Europe cruises this year out of Barcelona, one going to Morocco and the Canary Islands, one staying wholly within the EU. Spanish VAT was charged on UBP orders on the Morocco cruise, and not on the EU cruise… :rolleyes: I don't know if NCL fully understands the law (but I am sure they understand it better than anyone who contributes here), I am just happy that they have now apparently decided — whatever the reason — to stop adding VAT for UBP holders.

The position is that we have taken 4 cruises this year and VAT has not been charged on any of them at all. All out of BCN. We bought it in the UK VAT inclusive!! VAT is already charged it is that simple.

The position is actually this if you buy your UBP in as part of the package in an EU the Tour operators Margin scheme is in place alongside the EU other rules. However the effect is that the supply of the service is taken as being in the EU state you bought it and therefore no VAT can be charged on board. It makes no difference if it in or out of EU ports in this case. However for non EU UBP the port of Embarkation would make a difference.

However for non EU states the position is very different and it is possible (I have no clue and its a simple guess the cruise industry or individual lines have reached compromise with the EU authorities on the VAT. This explains the different experiences people are getting on this thread.

I am currently on the epic on 10 day canneries and have not been changed for a drink vat or and tax

What's more have not had to sign for every drink either

I think it's because your cruise visits ports (Canary Islands) where the harmonized EU rules on VAT don't apply. Canary Islands are not part of the Community territory.

Any pre purchased/included package should not have VAT anywhere.

PAYG drinks it depends, in port yes, EU only cruise yes

If the cruise is from the UK then there is an added complication that the UK did not sign up to the VAT Tax on sea trips within the EU like spain did.

Round trip UK(no stops outside the UK) VAT is charged, a trip to anywhere else no charge.

(Note EU in this context is not the same as in other uses)

Edited by insidecabin