Carnival Elation Rm E161

So, my friend and I have booked a surprise cruise for us and our daughters to celebrate them graduating HS... Would anyone have pictures of RM E161, or could share their experience with their room Stewart and the room in general? I last cruised on the Dream last September and loved the setup for FOUR to our room. While I know the Elation is a much smaller and older ship, I would like an idea of what to expect for this cruise. I had heard that some of the rooms experienced a smokey smell to their rooms....

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Edited by rochelle7403

So, my friend and I have booked a surprise cruise for us and our daughters to celebrate them graduating HS... Would anyone have pictures of RM E161, or could share their experience with their room Stewart and the room in general? I last cruised on the Dream last September and loved the setup for FOUR to our room. While I know the Elation is a much smaller and older ship, I would like an idea of what to expect for this cruise. I had heard that some of the rooms experienced a smokey smell to their rooms....

Thanks in advance!!! :)

We were on the Elation last October and had room E198 (I think). It was an oceanview cabin and it was okay. I remember thinking it seemed bigger than our inside cabin on the Fascination but the bathrooms seemed the same. I looked at a website where your cabin is located and it's an inside cabin so it's smaller than an oceanview room. Now this ship's cabins still have the boxes in the corner of the rooms for the life jackets so it takes up more room. Given you have 4 people in this room and probably won't have the twin beds together as a King, I haven't a clue how the room would be situated with that box in the corner. Our cabin stewards on the Elation were great as was the wait staff.

Also, you can't compare the Dream to the Elation - that would be like comparing Apples to Onions. Have a wonderful time!

We were on the Elation last October and had room E198 (I think). It was an oceanview cabin and it was okay. I remember thinking it seemed bigger than our inside cabin on the Fascination but the bathrooms seemed the same. I looked at a website where your cabin is located and it's an inside cabin so it's smaller than an oceanview room. Now this ship's cabins still have the boxes in the corner of the rooms for the life jackets so it takes up more room. Given you have 4 people in this room and probably won't have the twin beds together as a King, I haven't a clue how the room would be situated with that box in the corner. Our cabin stewards on the Elation were great as was the wait staff.

Also, you can't compare the Dream to the Elation - that would be like comparing Apples to Onions. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks bunches... I cruised on the Ecstasy back in 2009 as our first cruise, and have noticed that this ship seems to have the same layout.. We had two rooms for that cruise... So, did not need extra sleeping space in our cabins....

Thanks bunches... I cruised on the Ecstasy back in 2009 as our first cruise, and have noticed that this ship seems to have the same layout.. We had two rooms for that cruise... So, did not need extra sleeping space in our cabins....

Yes, Ecstasy & Elation are sister ships, and the layout will be the same. Unfortunately, Elation's 4-person rooms are not at all like the 4-person OV & balcony rooms on Dream. Those rooms on Dream have a separate space for the sofabed & upper bunk, leaving the 2 standard beds with nothing overhead. On Elation, the 4-person rooms in all their non-suite rooms will have 2 upper bunks for the 3rd/4th persons. One upper bunk will be over the head of the 2 standard beds, if they are pushed together. The other upper bunk will almost run into the corner of the standard beds from above, if they are pushed together. I don't know how it all works if the 2 standard beds are separate, but there will be at least 1 upper over part or all of at least 1 of the standard beds. And very little floor space. Similar to Dream's interior 4-person rooms, although that setup is a little different.

Your room is also underneath the galley. Many people have reported no problems staying under the galley, while some others have said that it was noisy above them late into the overnight hours. I would want to move elsewhere; not worth the risk. The aft rooms would be great--below the whisper quiet dining room, which is totally empty all night long. I stayed below that dining room on this exact ship (room E183), and never heard a peep, even during dining times. Forward rooms would be fine too, as long as you don't go to bed early, as the main showroom is above--shows end by 11:30. There could be daytime practices though, which could interfere with naps.

If you are not allowed to downgrade your room (it's probably too late to do that), then your only choice to get out from under the galley is to move up to a 4-person OV room (room size & setup will be exactly the same as an interior) or try to split your booking into 2 bookings: 2 rooms with 2 people each. If that would be allowed, you could move to any of the rooms from E116/E119 on up towards the atrium area. Those would be below the midship dining room, which would also be empty all night long. There would be an extra cost to that, as the 3rd/4th persons get a lower price. So you would have to pay the higher 1st/2nd person rates on all 4 people, but it might come out cheaper than a 4-person OV room, plus you would have so much more space & 2 bathrooms.

K2excursions... Thank you for the detailed response.... I would jump all over your recommendations. I however, while I do not experience motion sickness, the other mom does... Apparently pretty bed... So we are stuck midship and upper decks. She made it clear she did not want anything low in the ship or to the front or rear of the ship....

I will attempt to contact carnival and see what other options we have. I am also considering just having earplugs on hand if noise is an issue :-)

K2excursions... Thank you for the detailed response.... I would jump all over your recommendations. I however, while I do not experience motion sickness, the other mom does... Apparently pretty bed... So we are stuck midship and upper decks. She made it clear she did not want anything low in the ship or to the front or rear of the ship....

I will attempt to contact carnival and see what other options we have. I am also considering just having earplugs on hand if noise is an issue :-)

There is a phrase that is used often around here: "The more you pay, the more you sway". What that is in reference to is that the higher you go on the ship, the more motion you feel. So to decrease motion as much as possible, it's best to be as low as possible, and as close to midship as possible. Higher is not better for motion. With that in mind, if you are unable to downgrade your room, moving to a 4-person OV room down on Riviera deck, as close to midship as possible, might be a great option to solve everything.

But, I do realize that it's hard for most people to overcome paradigms. So even though lower rooms do experience less motion, if someone still believes that they experience more, then it might turn out to be worse for them. So considering that, the option I mentioned about trying to do 2 rooms for the 4 people might still be open. Anywhere from E116/119 up to E80/81. Those are still on Empress, the same category as your room (so it's not a downgrade), not under the galley, and it's still midship. If all else fails, bring the earplugs, just in case.

We just cruised the Elation 5/2 -5/7. We were in room E111, noticed a very smoky smell on embarkation day before the ship set sail. It was very strong. Once the ship started moving, it went away.

My experience on Elation is that sometimes when someone in another cabin is smoking the smell can come in through the vent.

I have checked thinking it was coming from the hall, but it was not and the steward confirmed that it was coming from another cabin.

The smell of smoke wakes me up, so I kind of notice it.

But if your cabin has any smell the steward can bring in the ozone machine and take care the smell. Don't hesitate to ask.

However, on most of the ships that I have been on the stinkiest time is on embarkation day. The ventilation seems to work a lot better once the ship is moving.

But if the smell was strong, I would be asking the steward to take care of it.

After that ozone machine it should smell good, unless some dork is hiding in their bathroom sneaking ciggies.

I have stayed in E169 on Elation and it was fine.

But E175 on Elation the noise coming through the wall was horrible.

Like someone was beating on the wall somewhere with a hammer.

But it was not every night.

Being on Empress deck makes it much easier at debark time.

Edited by mzloolue

Wea were on the Elation in an inside 4 person on the Empress deck. I cannot at the moment remember the room number however. It was 3 of us in the room (my best friend, her 7 year old son and myself). The beds were set up where on bed was longways under the "window" then the box in the corner and the other bed was long ways against the wall with the "head" of the bed at the wall to the bathroom. The pillows were directly over the bed closer to the bathroom, so if it was down, it would cover the whole bed like a bunk bed and the other only covered part of the bed near the "window". I have a picture but I have to get it off my camera. The did seem crowded once the pull down was down and the ladder, but not completely unbearable, just needed to be careful not the trip over the ladder.

Our room steward wasn't the best. We never got ice, except from room.service and once he forgot to replace our towels, we literally had no towels at all. We had to find him in the hall to get some. The room was spotless however.

Edited by starstruck05

We stayed in room E151 in 2014, which was an ocean view room near where your room will be. There was no smell. I don't remember our stewards name, but i have been on the elation 3 times, and each time the entire crew has been excellent, way better than the dream in my opinion. The room is below the galley. It wasn't THAT bad, but it was noisy at times. We would mainly notice it when we were waking up or trying to get to sleep around 11pm or so. It didn't ruin our cruise in any way, and wasn't anything worth complaining over, but if you are super sensitive to noise, you may want to bring ear plugs, a small fan to drown out the noise, or something like that.

Edited by mary80

This link will show you pictures for the same room on the Ecstasy. I'd imagine it would be the same set up since it's the same class ship. You can see the two upper pullmans, even though they are not pulled out.

http://www.cruizr.com/Carnival/Ecstasy/E161/cruise-ship-cabin-stateroom.html

Edited by bakersdozen12

Hmm...that's not what I have heard concerning motion sickness. Sticking to midship, yes, but I have always heard you also want a lower deck to avoid as much motion as possible.