My Week on Quantum of the Seas

I wore my WowBand once but it easily came off. The little knobs and holes closure was not secure enough for me to feel comfortable that I would not lose it so I never wore it again. I saw some passengers with WowBands with a secure watch-like closure but not ours.

16981099507_d85443d128_c.jpg

Just for info re the wrist bands - we got two black ones in our cabin on our TA - So I went along to guest services and swopped one for a white one.

You could swop it for a watch strap one if you preferred that type and they also had them in red, yellow and blue.

Simple to do (apart for the standard 20 mins queue!)

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this very informative and unbiased review! I think we might have to give Anthem a go!!

Mike

Yes, everyone should try it! I am in San Diego now to board Jewel in the morning for the Pacific Northwest. Woo hoo.

Thank you for the pictures!

My pleasure.

Just for info re the wrist bands - we got two black ones in our cabin on our TA - So I went along to guest services and swopped one for a white one.

You could swop it for a watch strap one if you preferred that type and they also had them in red, yellow and blue.

Good to know - thanks!

The web site says;

"You are limited in color choice to the muster station you are assigned to."

We were on the same sailing. Our first day was not a smooth as yours. We started boarding at 1:00 but we were not able to get into our cabin until 7:30 pm. Luckily, we had a 5:30 dinner reservation at The Grande. We were tired by then of dragging our carry-ons with us. At first the woman said we could not bring them in, but we said that the cabins were not ready and we were not going to miss our reservation so they let us bring them in.

When we got to our cabin, we had things in our frig but we did not move any of it. We did not have any magazines which I did not realize until we were leaving the ship because they were putting them in the cabins.

We had the same problems with the wrist bands. We really wanted to try them but they were also too small for my husband.

We were also missing towels, our gift, and our water that we ordered but we got them the next day.

We had lunch in 270 which was great ----the roast beef sandwiches.

The muster drill was not as smooth for us. We were in the top part of the music hall. Because we did not have our cards or wrist bands at this time, they were checking our setsail passes. It was crowded but we did find a seat.

It was chaos because they were trying to check everyone in but had to do it manually. The next day we had a message saying we did not attend the muster drill. We try going to guest services the next morning but the lines were long and continued to be long for several days.

I thought that RCCL would have given everyone some sort of compensation ( free wifi or OBC)for the rough first day but nothing happened.

I met someone who was on this cruise and the cruise before (Back to back). She said that they were asked to leave the ship and were given a free tour of New York for the day.

We love the ship, the food, shows, internet, and activities.

WOW! They must have made some big changes before my sailing on May 2. We arrived at the terminal by 12:30/1pm, walked right on the ship and the rooms were ready with our wristbands and passes ready for us. There WERE some other challenges onboard, as they seemed to be replacing the staff for its new position in Asia. You could see training happening and there was some confusion--especially with restaurant staff. Other than that, it all seemed to go smoothly.

I loved all the food options - there were so many. Some of the menus changed during the cruise. Although I really like traditional dining, I'm looking forward to Dynamic Dining on more ships.

Yes. If you try Anthem and they have the same restaurants (or if you go to asia on Quantum), the restaurant staff will explain the menu changes. We found that helpful--especially when we liked a restaurant and wanted to try the alternate menu on a different night). Also, the website makes it seem like reservations are very limited, but there are lines at the restaurant (not long lines) for people without reservations. They seat you very quickly.

Thanks a lot for your honest review and the great pictures, lovelife!

We've been on Quantum's maiden voyage in Nov. and are looking forward to board in Dubai next week.

Enjoy the rest of your Jewel journey!

WOW! They must have made some big changes before my sailing on May 2. We arrived at the terminal by 12:30/1pm, walked right on the ship and the rooms were ready with our wristbands and passes ready for us. There WERE some other challenges onboard, as they seemed to be replacing the staff for its new position in Asia. You could see training happening and there was some confusion--especially with restaurant staff. Other than that, it all seemed to go smoothly.

The first day confusion was because they were cleaning the ship from top to bottom because the cruise before us had norovirus. We thought ok the ship will be clean but like I said they started boarding at 1:00 and most people did not get into their cabins until evening. My husband has a seizure disorder so the first day was hard on him. Then they continued to clean the ship with a cleaning product that caused two severe seizures onboard and 5 when we got home. This cruise also had Autism at Sea so there were many kids with Autism and not being able to unwind in their cabins made it hard on the kids and their parents.

We loved the ship, the food and the activities but the first day and all the trainees made this not one of our favorite cruises. With this cruise we turned diamond on RCCL.

We were also on the same cruise and loved your beautiful photos. Yes, whilst we has a great cruise, we found the first day very hard. The muster drill took place just after we got on board and it was very, very crowded chaotic and lengthy due to delay after delay as we waited in the crowded space, where it was impossible to see the screen.

I know norovirus procedures have to be followed but I feel they really got it wrong with the muster drill, especially after such a long wait to board.

Then my suitcase did not arrive and after dinner in very unsuitably warm clothes I joined a long queue in guest services to try to locate it. It had been confiscated due to a small nail scissors in there. My fault I know but it had rounded ends and has always come with me before. It could also have helped if I had been notified.

There were so many beautiful things about the ship I do not want to sound negative. I appreciate the lovely week we had but have never had a first day like this.

We were also on the same cruise and loved your beautiful photos. Yes, whilst we has a great cruise, we found the first day very hard. The muster drill took place just after we got on board and it was very, very crowded chaotic and lengthy due to delay after delay as we waited in the crowded space, where it was impossible to see the screen.

I know norovirus procedures have to be followed but I feel they really got it wrong with the muster drill, especially after such a long wait to board.

Then my suitcase did not arrive and after dinner in very unsuitably warm clothes I joined a long queue in guest services to try to locate it. It had been confiscated due to a small nail scissors in there. My fault I know but it had rounded ends and has always come with me before. It could also have helped if I had been notified.

There were so many beautiful things about the ship I do not want to sound negative. I appreciate the lovely week we had but have never had a first day like this.

The other thing that made the week better was the fact that we met great people on FB and cruise critic. We met a family from Australia who was doing a six week tour of the US. They came to DC where we live and I took them around one day(my husband was resting from the seizures). We also met a lady and her son who were from the UK.

Thanks a lot for your honest review and the great pictures, lovelife!

We've been on Quantum's maiden voyage in Nov. and are looking forward to board in Dubai next week.

Enjoy the rest of your Jewel journey!

My pleasure. Just returned from Jewel last night. Oasis next Saturday!!

your pics are great. We sailed the Northeast (NY/NJ) Easter break, April 5th, 1100 kids, didn't really bother us, still loved the ship.

Thanks. I'm so glad the children were better behaved on your cruise.

Thanks. Odd about the little scissors. I've taken mine in my checked bag on 36 cruises without an issue. Yes, that boarding day was one for the books!! Hope to never endure another like it.

Hi Lovelife.

We will be on the Anthem in a week's time.

Wondering about the D+ internet vouchers. Can you use the internet for a short time daily as previously, or must it be on consecutive days as someone posted a while ago?

My pleasure indeed and thanks.

Thank you for your review. Loved the pictures. We were on the Quantum the week before- didn't have any idea about the norovirus. However we were so disappointed with the ship, crowding and poor service that we cancelled our Anthem cruise for next March. Despite the beautiful Grand Suite and great Suite lounge.

Also, the weather from NJ in March was too cool. Will not sail from NY or NJ before May in the future.

Nice review with beautiful pictures. We were on the week after you which was Easter vacation week for mostly NJ and NY. I believe we had slightly more kids than your week and they were well behaved. Most of our cruises have to be around school schedules and so far we never had any issues, guess we have been very lucky.

We too thought that Chic had excellent food with poor service. We were there 3 times and it slightly improved by the third time.

Hi Lovelife.

We will be on the Anthem in a week's time.

Wondering about the D+ internet vouchers. Can you use the internet for a short time daily as previously, or must it be on consecutive days as someone posted a while ago?

On my Quantum sailing the D+ 60-minute package was not offered. Instead, the only thing comparable was a four-day package for $59.95. The D+ Internet perk was $59.90. I chose the four-day package and they charged me a nickel on my account!!

Thank you for your review. Loved the pictures. We were on the Quantum the week before- didn't have any idea about the norovirus. However we were so disappointed with the ship, crowding and poor service that we cancelled our Anthem cruise for next March. Despite the beautiful Grand Suite and great Suite lounge.

Also, the weather from NJ in March was too cool. Will not sail from NY or NJ before May in the future.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, from NJ, other than summer, it takes two days to get warm and then you have two cold days returning.