Is there Taxis to the forts in San Juan?

Peemagg

Please - Please - Please don't take this the wrong way.

Probably, if you are not able to walk to either of the forts, you would not enjoy walking around in the forts where there will be stairs ... and it's hot. ;)

LuLu

HI Everyone!

Thank you for your responses.

I was just wondering about the taxis because I can walk some but not a lot and the walk to the forts would do me in. We are going there specifically because my mother was to San Juan once and wanted to see the forts, but no one else she was traveling with would go. So now that is the goal to let her see one of the forts. I know I won't be able to see or do it all, but I want her to be able to enjoy as much of it as possible. She will only be able to see as much as I am able to walk, so I don't want to wear myself out before I get there.

You can only do what you can do.. and I think it is great you are willing to get out and do that. Not sure how much time you have, but you might want to read through the National Park Service site.. and pick one fort. http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm I am thinking with limited mobility El Morro might require more walking than San Cristobal. Hope you have a great time.

I was wondering the same thing. I am concerned for my mother who can not walk a great distance. I am scared the trolley will be too full for three of us to get a seat. Plus, if we do get a taxi, will it be able to take us right up to the entrance like the trolley?

SeaShell70, if your mother has mobility issues, even if the taxis did drop you close to the entrances, the forts themselves require a lot of walking. El Morro is by far, more intensive to navigate and it's quite a walk from the street to the gate. San Cristobal may be easier but still requires a fair amount of walking. I really hope you're able to go to either of them, they're so incredible. Walking around Old San Juan can be challenging with the cobblestone streets in some areas. :)

Walking around the old city is GREAT and not easy if you have mobility issues. Because the forts sounds important to you, did you ever think of doing a private tour which allows you to take your time so you can rest frequently and at your speed?

Maybe make a day of it, go to the beach or an island tour including the fort?

My mother does not have any trouble walking, she has had a part of a lung removed and so she gets winded easily which requires frequent stops. My son (16) is really hoping to see the forts. I am hoping that we can go if we take it slow and try not to get my mother worn out before we get there.

Thanks for the tip on which fort will be easier for her to do. Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated.