Dawn Princess questions...

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to be doing a 14-night (!!) cruise on the Dawn Princess next summer (2016) to celebrate my birthday - I love the one I found that goes over my birthday, and for a completely new part of the world, it is less than $1000 (before airfare obviously, but I can deal with that) than the other things I had considered (Disney Cruise Line, which I love, but BTDT) so for that little less, might as well try something new, right?!?!?

A few questions...

* I was looking at the Princess site and see that the all-inclusive drink package is not available on the Australian-based ships. So does that mean that I should just plan on buying up some onboard credit in advance for drinks and such? Are the soda packages available at least? Or is there some other kind of package available onboard?

* The Sanctuary... Looking at the video it looks like it only has a splash pool in terms of water. Is that right? And you pay extra to enter? How much - and is there a package?

* The Lotus Pool - can anyone use that or is there a charge and/or you get to use it when getting a spa treatment? I love the Rainforest Room on DCL (various showers, hot tubs, heated tile loungers) - is there something similar on the Dawn Princess?

Basically I'm a little sponge for anything to do with Princess and specifically the Dawn Princess! :)

Thanks!

I can only answer the first question. is the prices are all in Australian dollars so no need to add extra OBC. Just put cash on your account at Guest services.

There is a soda package with a cost per day.

I can only answer the first question. is the prices are all in Australian dollars so no need to add extra OBC. Just put cash on your account at Guest services.

There is a soda package with a cost per day.

Thanks. :) I meant buy OBC in advance so it's there and paid for. Or, you know, ask the parents for a birthday present of some OBC! :)

adults only pool

no charge - free to use anytime

but it is more of a plunge pool than a swim pool. It is the only one I use when on board as it has easy step access. You'll find lots of us oldies in it doing our rehab exercises most mornings

Have fun :)

PS check out CC roll call for Dawn Princess

Edited by bubbles2014

adults only pool

no charge - free to use anytime

but it is more of a plunge pool than a swim pool. It is the only one I use when on board as it has easy step access. You'll find lots of us oldies in it doing our rehab exercises most mornings

Have fun :)

PS check out CC roll call for Dawn Princess

Thanks!

Once I'm 100% confirmed I will! :)

I think The Sanctuary on Dawn is similar to that on Sun Princess. Yes, it costs extra - $40 per day, $20 per half day, and $30 per day if you book for the whole cruise on the first day (but they don't charge you for days when The Sanctuary is closed due to inclement weather). You get to pick your sunloungers and they are yours, guaranteed, for the times you have booked. On our Sun cruise they were taking bookings in advance for individual half and full days although I believe this is not the usual method of booking.

Unfortunately the pool is only a splash pool. However I found that by lying down in it I could get wet all over and that was adequate to keep me cool on a hot day. It's also great fun to watch on sea days as it has the most amazing waves running around the pool. Very mesmerising.

We found the drinks prices on Princess to be very good. Similar cocktail prices to other lines but in AUD not USD (so essentially about 20-25% cheaper than RCI for example), and wines by the bottle were very reasonably priced - we were able to indulge in some great international wines at very affordable prices (compared with other cruise lines and Aussie restaurant prices).

You may also want to consider that there is only fixed dining on Australian based cruises on the Dawn Princess.

I have typically cruised Disney. Fixed dining is actually a PLUS for me.

I can wait in line anywhere to eat at home (NYC). I don't get the appeal of doing it on a cruise.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to be doing a 14-night (!!) cruise on the Dawn Princess next summer (2016) to celebrate my birthday - I love the one I found that goes over my birthday, and for a completely new part of the world, it is less than $1000 (before airfare obviously, but I can deal with that) than the other things I had considered (Disney Cruise Line, which I love, but BTDT) so for that little less, might as well try something new, right?!?!?

A few questions...

* I was looking at the Princess site and see that the all-inclusive drink package is not available on the Australian-based ships. So does that mean that I should just plan on buying up some onboard credit in advance for drinks and such? Are the soda packages available at least? Or is there some other kind of package available onboard?

* The Sanctuary... Looking at the video it looks like it only has a splash pool in terms of water. Is that right? And you pay extra to enter? How much - and is there a package?

* The Lotus Pool - can anyone use that or is there a charge and/or you get to use it when getting a spa treatment? I love the Rainforest Room on DCL (various showers, hot tubs, heated tile loungers) - is there something similar on the Dawn Princess?

Basically I'm a little sponge for anything to do with Princess and specifically the Dawn Princess! :)

Thanks!

Got off the Dawn 4 weeks ago. Best soft drinks package is the Ultimate - and buy it on board - it's cheaper. It covers all gunned soft drinks, mocktails, fruit juices, hot chocolate, icecream, milk shakes. It was &7.95

Southern comfort and lemonade, Jim Beam and coke, and mixer drinks like that were $7.95 each. Beers start at $6.95 up $8.95 a bottle, varying selections, Corona, Crown, and a few others (husband tried them all) Cocktails $11.00 each. Wines looked to be reasonable priced - but we aren't wine drinkers. I think a glass was $6.00.

There is a coffee card for speciality coffee's. I think it's around $30.00 for 15 or 20 coffees. Don't quote me, we never had it, but it was something like that.

There are 2 sittings for dinner, 5.30 and 7.30. There is also the buffet, 5.30 am to 11.00 pm

There is the steak house speciality restaurant at an extra charge - that was $25.00 pp - and worth every cent.

The prices above, were the same prices when we were on the Dawn in Dec 2013 - so they may be due to go up, not by much I don't think. All the drink prices are inclusive of whatever charges. The slip you sign has a line for gratuities, don't sign that bit :D

There are no alcoholic drink packages - but on our cruise there were a couple of happy hours - you would have to check the "daily patter" to see if they are on, on any given day.

Some cruises have the happy hour, some don't.

Thanks so much! I love everything about the cruise I found - but I have to contemplate leaving my cat for that long. :( We will see what I end up doing.

Well, tell the cat it is going on holiday, and what a lovely time it will have...........in the cattery. You can exchange notes when you get back :p

Edited by dizzy1948

Well, tell the cat it is going on holiday, and what a lovely time it will have...........in the cattery. You can exchange notes when you get back :p

...the cat may enjoy the cattery too much.:D

True story..

A friend of mine was worried about going on a cruise and leaving the cat ,so booked it into the cattery about 2 blocks away. Rushed back after the cruise to pick up the cat and took it home. Cat went missing . Turns out it enjoyed the cattery so much it made its own way back there , even though it meant crossing a very busy road.:eek:

Best soft drinks package is the Ultimate - and buy it on board - it's cheaper. It covers all gunned soft drinks, mocktails, fruit juices, hot chocolate, icecream, milk shakes. It was $7.95 pp per day.........(forgot to put that in :eek::D)

Edited by dizzy1948

He usually has a sitter who comes in - I don't know if they'll do that long. Maybe I can get someone in my building to come in. Hmm...