My NCL Email

NCL needs to stop and take a breather. On one hand they are hastily finding ways at generating revenue while on he other they are driving up costs at their contact and public relations departments. Their net gain will be zero at the end of the day.

I can tell you as a TA my bookings with NCL are down . Not because I am not trying to sell NCL (I do like their product) but because my clients are hearing of all of this negative publicity.

Good luck NCL. You have a lot of damage to do and a great deal of money to spend in order put out the fire you started!

I appreciate your relaying the conversation. I cannot see them changing anything especially since they appear to be aligning themselves with other industry leaders on some of the changes that we are seeing. I am an old Star Trek fan and it feels like" Resistance is Futile". We can only continue to moniter and modify accordingly. If the industry adopts all of the same policies, it won't matter which line that you cruise only whether the policies are an acceptable part of that vacation. We also enjoy all inclusive resorts as well as other land based destinations. Pluses and minuses to both options.

Your email prompted mine, so thank you. I agree I was feeling like it may be futile but I still hold out hope that the food issue will be reversed. If not, like you say, we all have options and I will vacation the way that pleases me. This change does not please me. I am still greatly looking forward to our cruise on NCL next week. I'm interested to see if the other lines follow suit.

Your email prompted mine, so thank you. I agree I was feeling like it may be futile but I still hold out hope that the food issue will be reversed. If not, like you say, we all have options and I will vacation the way that pleases me. This change does not please me. I am still greatly looking forward to our cruise on NCL next week. I'm interested to see if the other lines follow suit.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope that you report back on your trip and how the policies impacted your experience.

EXACTLY!!! You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth. If food that is taken back to your room is out of their control and they can't guarantee it meets "Strict health standards".... then the very room service they are charging for falls under that SAME loophole. They have no idea how long that food sits before I eat it. It could sit there until the next day for all they know. NCL isn't standing over me and watching how long it takes me to eat my RS sandwich. They don't send staff with a stopwatch and wave a red flag when my RS yogurt goes past the 45 minute mark outside of a frig. ACTUALLY, now that I think about it, perhaps I should be the one concerned, because I have no idea how long my RS order has been sitting out before it gets to me. At least with restaurant food, I am aware of the time lapse between the plate and my mouth. RS could have been sitting on a cart for any length of time. The double talk just goes to further my frustration in making me feel like NCL just thinks of their pax as idiots. They just keep insulting our intelligence and it bites my butt. They need to just grow a pair of cajones and say "we want to bolster our room service sales, so we are eliminating all food from leaving the restaurants". Would we all still be irked to high heaven...yes. But at least I wouldn't be twice as irked because of the lame excuses that do nothing but give me the impression that they see their pax as 2 year old toddlers that need constant supervision....

...I've been responsible for my own fork and knife for over 45 years... I think I've got this one :cool:

I agree, their condescending and false explanations are an insult - almost as bad as the underlying policy.

I am thinking it might be a good thing for those who cancel and rebook elsewhere to let the new line know specifically why you are booking with them. If they understand that they are picking up new bookings from disgruntled NCL passengers, they might be far less likely to follow suit with NCL on arbitrary policies like the take out ban.

I sail primarily on RCI, but did enjoy a cruise last year on the Epic (best Cruise Critic crowd ever!). I prefer the Royal product in general, but would definitely book another cruise with NCL, until I found out about this "food policing." I wrote NCL an email today to let them know that I will not be considering another cruise with them until they get rid of this ridiculous policy of not allowing passengers to bring food back to their cabins. I urge everyone to continue to email NCL to get them to repeal this policy. I am so afraid that if it sticks with NCL, it is just a matter of time before other cruiselines pick this up. I love cruising, but will not be policed in this manner.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope that you report back on your trip and how the policies impacted your experience.

I am thinking it might be a good thing for those who cancel and rebook elsewhere to let the new line know specifically why you are booking with them. If they understand that they are picking up new bookings from disgruntled NCL passengers, they might be far less likely to follow suit with NCL on arbitrary policies like the take out ban.

Will do teered2cruise, thanks!:)

punkincc - I agree, they need to know. I'm sure other lines are paying close attention to this.

Looking to send my email to NCL as well.

Made it through 4 pages...can someone post the email addresses for those of us that want to still write them?

We are kicking ourselves that we didn't book Oasis out of Rome instead. We are past final payment and have regret at this time.

Thanks.

Edited by mickeysgal

I also sent out a lengthy email this morning stressing our dissatisfaction over the recent changes and asking them to find amicable solutions. I sent them to the following three email addresses:

Andy Stuart, President: AStuart@NCL.com

Social Media: Socialmedia@NCL.com

Public Relations: Publicrelations@NCL.com

I will post whatever responses I receive, automated or not.

Whoops there it is...just answered my own question.

Here are the email addresses should someone else need them.

EXACTLY!!! You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth. If food that is taken back to your room is out of their control and they can't guarantee it meets "Strict health standards".... then the very room service they are charging for falls under that SAME loophole. They have no idea how long that food sits before I eat it. It could sit there until the next day for all they know. NCL isn't standing over me and watching how long it takes me to eat my RS sandwich. They don't send staff with a stopwatch and wave a red flag when my RS yogurt goes past the 45 minute mark outside of a frig. ACTUALLY, now that I think about it, perhaps I should be the one concerned, because I have no idea how long my RS order has been sitting out before it gets to me. At least with restaurant food, I am aware of the time lapse between the plate and my mouth. RS could have been sitting on a cart for any length of time. The double talk just goes to further my frustration in making me feel like NCL just thinks of their pax as idiots. They just keep insulting our intelligence and it bites my butt. They need to just grow a pair of cajones and say "we want to bolster our room service sales, so we are eliminating all food from leaving the restaurants". Would we all still be irked to high heaven...yes. But at least I wouldn't be twice as irked because of the lame excuses that do nothing but give me the impression that they see their pax as 2 year old toddlers that need constant supervision....

...I've been responsible for my own fork and knife for over 45 years... I think I've got this one :cool:

Agreed 100%!

But some of the 'ncl cheerleader' still defending them no matter what? :rolleyes:

I'm not stupid , I wasn't expecting a resolution .I've worked in customer service myself . I've used that same method to tame the masses .

I was just expecting the courtesy call to be , I don't know ,more courteous .

I think I would have been satisfied with a standard response ( one that all reps could use) as to why these changes were put into action without notifying the general public first . Maybe because that's my biggest concern and I feel bad for all the cruisers who still don't know about the recent changes .

I'm probably still being unrealistic to you but that's just my opinion, I apologize if it offends , bothers or angers you.

Yup, it's just a 'courtesy call' to make the person feel a lttle better, that's all.

1. All email complaints (whether sent to public relations, social media or an executive officer) are sent to this department and are read by this department. No email is making it to an executive officer personally. These people read the emails, contact the passengers and the OVERALL feedback from the masses is then sent up the chain.

Anyone think that the mass emails will then be sent up the chain? LOL :D

Did you hear FDR's conference call 'no one complaints'. :D

There's so much that I still don't understand about all this from BOTH sides. In this thread, I see so much butthurt because the company made a decision to increase revenue that has very little impact on the majority of their cruising base. That's a business decision that as a shareholder in the company, I would expect; actually, I would REQUIRE managers to make. Is it going to be an unpopular decision? Possibly, but will it break the line? Hardly.

Additionally, while it is perfectly acceptable to jet off an email to the corporate offices, is it reasonable to expect personal responses to every last email, with answers to every last question and every last point? That's not how a corporation operates; sorry, but it isn't. The so called automated responses ARE the policy and no amount of whining and gnashing of teeth will change it. Would have anyone have been less hurt if NCL put out a press release saying exactly what they are saying now? Would have anyone been less hurt if NCL has set up an 1-800-I'mButthurt line so that people could call into to explain how not getting a slice on the balcony is ruining their vacay? It seems to me that NCL has been very clear, so what the continued quest for clarity?. No food in the rooms unless its carried in by room service and there is a fee for doing so. Yes, there are 1000 loopholes and I find it unconscionable that NCL puts enforcing these rules on the backs of the very people that they put in charge of making their customers the happiest (my biggest issue with all the changes). If this cuts into your cruising enjoyment, then I see that you have a couple of options. A) change the way you go about your cruising and either pay for room service or eat in a proper eating venue or B) Make future investments of your vacation dollars in a product that will make you the happiest. Doesn't seem that hard folks, really it doesn't.

Edited by johnlatte

There's so much that I still don't understand about all this from BOTH sides. In this thread, I see so much butthurt because the company made a decision to increase revenue that has very little impact on the majority of their cruising base. That's a business decision that as a shareholder in the company, I would expect; actually, I would REQUIRE managers to make. Is it going to be an unpopular decision? Possibly, but will it break the line? Hardly.

Additionally, while it is perfectly acceptable to jet off an email to the corporate offices, is it reasonable to expect personal responses to every last email, with answers to every last question and every last point? That's not how a corporation operates; sorry, but it isn't. The so called automated responses ARE the policy and no amount of whining and gnashing of teeth will change it. Would have anyone have been less hurt if NCL put out a press release saying exactly what they are saying now? Would have anyone been less hurt if NCL has set up an 1-800-I'mButthurt line so that people could call into to explain how not getting a slice on the balcony is ruining their vacay? It seems to me that NCL has been very clear, so what the continued quest for clarity?. No food in the rooms unless its carried in by room service and there is a fee for doing so. Yes, there are 1000 loopholes and I find it unconscionable that NCL puts enforcing these rules on the backs of the very people that they put in charge of making their customers the happiest (my biggest issue with all the changes). If this cuts into your cruising enjoyment, then I see that you have a couple of options. A) change the way you go about your cruising and either pay for room service or eat in a proper eating venue or B) Make future investments of your vacation dollars in a product that will make you the happiest. Doesn't seem that hard folks, really it doesn't.

I understand them adding the $7.95. I don't like it but I do understand. However, not allowing the passengers to bring food to their room from the buffet or the dessert they were too full to eat from their PAID specialty restaurant dinner is ridiculous. Do you seriously not see that? Yes I can order a cheese plate from room service, but the one I make myself will have less waste (cheese I don't like eg.) and is so much faster-especially now that when anyone wants a snack they have to call room service -the wait time will be ridiculous.

The excuse they are making that it is for cleanliness sake is ridiculous. I have never seen a ton of dishes outside the rooms. (Just put signage in the rooms-any plates need to stay in the room until the steward removes them easy peasy)They are MAKING us use room service so they get that $7.95.

Now that I think about it-not bringing food from the buffet will also make the buffet more crowded. People will eat it there instead of bringing to the room or ordering room service. I think this new rule will do more damage than expected.

Again-I understand and accept the $7.95 charge but don't FORCE me to use room service.

I understand them adding the $7.95. I don't like it but I do understand. However, not allowing the passengers to bring food to their room from the buffet or the dessert they were too full to eat from their PAID specialty restaurant dinner is ridiculous. Do you seriously not see that? Yes I can order a cheese plate from room service, but the one I make myself will have less waste (cheese I don't like eg.) and is so much faster-especially now that when anyone wants a snack they have to call room service -the wait time will be ridiculous.

The excuse they are making that it is for cleanliness sake is ridiculous. I have never seen a ton of dishes outside the rooms. (Just put signage in the rooms-any plates need to stay in the room until the steward removes them easy peasy)They are MAKING us use room service so they get that $7.95.

Now that I think about it-not bringing food from the buffet will also make the buffet more crowded. People will eat it there instead of bringing to the room or ordering room service. I think this new rule will do more damage than expected.

Again-I understand and accept the $7.95 charge but don't FORCE me to use room service.

Yes, THIS, exactly. The RS charge is fine. A little higher than I would have expected (couldn't they have just kept the same cost that they had for late night or pizza - what $5 or less?), but not a huge deal, particularly if, indeed, the menu has been expanded.

But forcing the use of room service? Not good.

I'm not a big slippery slope conspiracy theorist, but this has the makings of one - will we ultimately be charged for every dining venue? Well, not "we", because I won't be cruising NCL, if I find that I can't nosh on my balcony without a surcharge.

I think that if I am full after a meal, I don't eat dessert. Whether or not I "paid" for it or not isn't relevant. Basically it is their boat, their rules. Whether we as a consumer of their product chose to abide or not is our choice. Having been in the hospitality business for a number of years, I can tell you that room service is a royal pain. You can't schedule for it, and typically you have to pull someone away from another duty or job (usually a waiter) to cart up a tray. The room steward's carts aren't equipped to take care of dirty dishes, so they sit in the halls or worse pile up in the rooms. Again, this creates a sanitation issue and is more labor intensive because now, somebody has to clean up the mess and haul the dishes back to the commissary for cleaning. Regardless to what people think, there is a cost involved in doing in-room food. So to me, from a corporate and business standpoint asking people to consume food in a facility that was designed for consuming food and properly handle waste and sanitation, isn't unreasonable. I really doubt that asking people to eat in traditional eating venues is going to make the buffets more crowded. Most ships have multiple eating venues, they are open pretty much 24x7. If buffet A is crowded then dining room B or snack bar C most likely isn't. Talking about crowd control simply isn't realistic and isn't enough of a reason to reverse the rule.

I can tell you that room service is a royal pain. You can't schedule for it, and typically you have to pull someone away from another duty or job (usually a waiter) to cart up a tray. The room steward's carts aren't equipped to take care of dirty dishes, so they sit in the halls or worse pile up in the rooms. Again, this creates a sanitation issue and is more labor intensive because now, somebody has to clean up the mess and haul the dishes back to the commissary for cleaning.

I thought they were making the passengers not bring food to their rooms due to sanitation issues? Sounds like room service isn't any more sanitary.

I agree,their rules are their rules but I don't have to spend my hard earned money on a cruise line that has rules I can't abide by.

This is us too, in a nutshell.

I thought they were making the passengers not bring food to their rooms due to sanitation issues? Sounds like room service isn't any more sanitary.

I agree,their rules are their rules but I don't have to spend my hard earned money on a cruise line that has rules I can't abide by.

By limiting in-room dining to only room service, it is easier to track who "should" have trays and plates in their rooms or the hallway, thus it makes keeping things cleaner and more labor efficient. By controlling labor (costs) the line is able to operate more efficiently and be more profitable.

My underlying thought is that NCL really doesn't want to provide room service, period. Its costs the more in labor both with unpredictable delivery and with the clean up afterwards than it is really worth. I don't think that they are "forcing" people to use room service, but instead they are discouraging the use of room service in general. Simply put, if you put a price on something, people will look for value. If value is there, they will pay it and NCL wins by creating a trackable revenue stream, if they chose not to pay it then NCL wins still, because they don't have to pay the labor and absorb the cost of doing room service.

And I 100% agree! You have options and if this is a deal breaker for you, then by all means you should do what makes you the happiest. Doing that sends a much clearer message than writing emails or grinding it out on social media.

I don't think that they are "forcing" people to use room service, but instead they are discouraging the use of room service in general.

IMHO-ABSOLUTELY not. They have kibboshed every way to have a snack/meal in your room EXCEPT room service. If they want to get rid of it-limit the choices further and people won't order it...:confused:

I sail primarily on RCI, but did enjoy a cruise last year on the Epic (best Cruise Critic crowd ever!). I prefer the Royal product in general, but would definitely book another cruise with NCL, until I found out about this "food policing." I wrote NCL an email today to let them know that I will not be considering another cruise with them until they get rid of this ridiculous policy of not allowing passengers to bring food back to their cabins. I urge everyone to continue to email NCL to get them to repeal this policy. I am so afraid that if it sticks with NCL, it is just a matter of time before other cruiselines pick this up. I love cruising, but will not be policed in this manner.

Bravo and well said. I agree one hundred percent. I could not imagine being told that you could not bring a leftover doggy bag from a night of dinning back to a hotel room. This is basically what NCL is doing. People work hard and when they are on vacation, the last thing anyone wants is to be policed like a child. Especially when its all about NCL trying to force people into paying a stupid 7.95 room service fee. Freestyle cruising hahahahaha YEAH RIGHT!

If y'all (I do not include myself in this) really feel the need to show NCL that their new policy will not accomplish what they claim in their aim (keeping the hallways clear of dishes), just bring your dirty plates with you from the buffet (without food on them) and leave them by your door.

They did not indicate any policy against bringing empty plates (clean or dirty) out of the buffet.....only food.

I actually am so upset by not just the changes, but they way they are being handled, and the "social media flack" comment by the CEO that I just canceled my booking for 2016. Too bad, because I was very excited about the Escape. I just can't justify giving money to someone who is such a jerk about his past customer base and to a company that seems to delight in springing changes on people. At least the guests who follow the cruise forums have some idea but the people who don't? Man I would be livid if I did not get what I thought I paid for with no notice. And before you guys say "if you got as a perk you didn't pay for it" yeah I did. It's all figured into the fare. Before those perks came out the fare was a lot lower as I had originally booked it the month previous to when they offered this package. I only gained about $50 with the increased fare.