Disembarkation Non-US Resident

Quick question. I sailed last year but we disembarked in Quebec so I was fine.

I saw it written in another forum that non-US residents cannot do the selk walk-off when disembarking at a US Port (in this case, New York). is this true? What is the process for non-US residents disembarking at a US Port?

Thanks!

Thank you. Im trying to figure out how tight it will be to get a flight back. My options right now seem to be to get a flight at around noon or 12:30 or waiting until 6PM. Various options for JFK or Newark (less so for LaGuardia). Any thoughts? I'd be arriving back to port on a Sunday (September 13th)

As Canadians, we've always been able to do self desembarkation in Manhattan and Bayonne....at least ten of our cruises have been from New York area ports and we always do the early walk-off.

We drive from Toronto and park at the pier, so I can't offer any advice about flights other than to suggest you leave yourself enough time in case the ship is delayed getting back to port - this happened to us on our last Gem cruise in February. Although we were only an hour late it might have made a difference if we'd had a flight to make.

One thing you have going for you is your Sunday arrival - traffic will be almost non-existent. :)

As Canadians, we've always been able to do self desembarkation in Manhattan and Bayonne....at least ten of our cruises have been from New York area ports and we always do the early walk-off.

We drive from Toronto and park at the pier, so I can't offer any advice about flights other than to suggest you leave yourself enough time in case the ship is delayed getting back to port - this happened to us on our last Gem cruise in February. Although we were only an hour late it might have made a difference if we'd had a flight to make.

One thing you have going for you is your Sunday arrival - traffic will be almost non-existent. :)

About the traffic...not true at all

We have parades, martathons, bike-a-thons.....and traffic can be a mess.

If you have a choice between JFK and Newark...pick Newark (and avoid the possible congestion)

You may certainly do walk-off but if Norwegian offers any sort of "Luggage Valet" program where they send your bags directly to the airport, that won't be available. We learned that the hard way after a frantic final evening of trying to confirm where our bags went and what would be happening to them due to conflicting information and confusion on the part of the purser's staff. Also, there will likely be a separate line for non-American citizens at Customs in the terminal. This can sometimes actually work to your favor time-wise.

.. but if Norwegian offers any sort of "Luggage Valet" program where they send your bags directly to the airport, that won't be available.

NCL does not. They had program called "Bags" but it was discontinued.

Sunday morning should be quiet, I would think the longest drive is JFK. Last week the walk off was done by 7:45, I was off by 8:15. Most cruises say flight should be after 12.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Sunday morning should be quiet

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

This has always been our experience too, especially compared with embarkation/disembarkation dates that are during the week....absolutely insane traffic compared to weekends! Part of our cruise research before we book is to find out if there's anything special going on in Manhattan on the days we board/return...if so, we choose a different date. That's why our Sunday/Sunday cruises have always made for easy driving.