San Francisco Hotels

AuntMimi

We're parking at 55 Francisco St., because we've prepaid our parking a long time ago at $18/day. I did however email Princess about the price increase. Maybe they can negotiate with ParkWhiz to lower the price. However, I think Vallejo will work out fine for us. That saves us the traffic between Vallejo and The Embarcadero traffic - which is a nightmare. That's why we go early to beat the rush. Just gotta work out the kinks that's all. But the increases is unnerving! :mad:

I too booked quite awhile ago at 55 Francisco St. and paid 18.00 a day, I just looked and the price is still 18.00 a day. Check out Ace Parking website for San Francisco Cruise Parking for 18.00 a day parking, if you prepay..

Having just returned from San Francisco last night, I thought I'd add a note on a hotel we just stayed at...

First of all, we were not there to pick up a cruise..rather our visit was to attend our older daughter's graduation from her Doctoral program at USF...So, our criteria did not necessarily include being close to the cruise pier...We were more interested in just getting a nice, reasonably priced hotel near our daughter's apartment in the Marina District. The Marina District is a very trendy area of The City located between Fisherman's Wharf and the Presidio/Golden Gate Bridge...lots of trendy restaurants and bars in the area, nice, fairly safe neighborhood and it is not that far form the cruise pier--though still a short taxi ride...

We ended up booking the Cow Hollow Inn...

http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/

It actually got some very good reviews on TripAdvisor (currently ranked #38 out of 234 San Francisco hotels:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d112293-Reviews-Cow_Hollow_Motor_Inn_and_Suites-San_Francisco_California.html

Pricewise, it was a relative steal--our room rate was only $160 per night and included free parking for the duration of the stay...Considering most of the hotels we would usually stay at were ranging from $350 and up for the same date, we jumped on this one...

Our room was very clean and very ample--lots of room to walk around...One King bed standard room...and very light--being a corner room, it had two large windows (as opposed to the side rooms which, I believe, have large bay windows). Air conditioning worked well. Parking was ample--though on two levels for which you'd have to exit the building and reenter to change levels...Parking was all covered in a subterranean structure below the hotel.

A room key was needed to enter either of the two elevators from the garage into the hotel.

There was a small restaurant attached to the hotel called the "Bay Watch". We ate breakfast there one day...Breakfast was excellent with very large portions.

The same hotel operator also owns a few other hotels along this stretch as well...Chelsea Inn, Coventry Inn, Lombard Inn and Columbus Inn...and, if they are similar to this one (which they appear to be), they might also be good choices for those wishing to find a nice, budget-conscious hotel property in San Francisco...

This parking increase has really got me bugged. I just realized that the minimum wage kicked in and this could be the increase in parking. Well, DH and I plan in the future to park in Vallejo, take the ferry to Pier 41 then walk down to the ship. Round trip for the two of us is $52 and parking is $5/day. We paid the $18 rate a while ago at 55 Francisco, so we're good to go this time around. On our way home June 1, we're going to stop in Vallejo and check out the Ferry and the parking. Per their website, there's a parking garage there. I can see Princess losing a lot of business due to the expensive parking arrangement now. Not only Princess but a lot of businesses such as restaurants are closing up. Also expensive hotel rooms reflect the minimum wage increase.

As far as I know the only parking available in Vallejo for the ferry is in a huge parking lot across the road. It is not for any long term parking, just day use.

Now have taken the Vallejo Ferry several times to go on a cruise. I take the 10am ferry which gets you to the city by about 11 to 11:30. We then walk from there to pier 27. Very convenient. We have always gotten a ride to the ferry from family or friends.

Edited by timetravler

We reserved our parking last week in SF and are paying $18/day. We considered doing the Vallejo park and ferry, but having worked there for so long, there is no way I would ever leave my car unattended overnight, let alone for the length of a cruise. I'm sure I'm being paranoid and maybe naive in thinking my car is safer in a SF garage, but it's peace of mind for the length of the cruise.

We reserved our parking last week in SF and are paying $18/day. We considered doing the Vallejo park and ferry, but having worked there for so long, there is no way I would ever leave my car unattended overnight, let alone for the length of a cruise. I'm sure I'm being paranoid and maybe naive in thinking my car is safer in a SF garage, but it's peace of mind for the length of the cruise.

I agree. Vallejo is not the safest city. But is there long term parking at the Ferry? Is it in the same large parking lot across the street from the ferry building?

This parking increase has really got me bugged. I just realized that the minimum wage kicked in and this could be the increase in parking. Well, DH and I plan in the future to park in Vallejo, take the ferry to Pier 41 then walk down to the ship. Round trip for the two of us is $52 and parking is $5/day. We paid the $18 rate a while ago at 55 Francisco, so we're good to go this time around. On our way home June 1, we're going to stop in Vallejo and check out the Ferry and the parking. Per their website, there's a parking garage there. I can see Princess losing a lot of business due to the expensive parking arrangement now. Not only Princess but a lot of businesses such as restaurants are closing up. Also expensive hotel rooms reflect the minimum wage increase.

After reading all the posts I had to giggle......you should see what the rates are in New York.